ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
Did you use the track or the route? When you download the map you get two gpx files. The one labeled "modified" only contains track files, so the age of your maps are not relevant. If you used the the "raw" it contains routes that may cause you problems because routes are a pain. The "modified" gpx file always contains info exactly as you see it on the website. The "raw" file is the one the user uploaded before it was modified. I specifically used the site to convert them to tracks so you wouldn't have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
I tried to do a portion of it last week, down to where go it goes past lake blacksheer and back. I was coming from Rome, so I didn't try to navigate the route until I got to the brown "dirt starts here" on the route. So it comes up and says my maps are too old for this file and while I could see the route, the route line would be way off somewhere eventhough I was on the right road. I rode a whole bunch of dirt/sand though.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Did you use the track or the route? When you download the map you get two gpx files. The one labeled "modified" only contains track files, so the age of your maps are not relevant. If you used the the "raw" it contains routes that may cause you problems because routes are a pain. The "modified" gpx file always contains info exactly as you see it on the website. The "raw" file is the one the user uploaded before it was modified. I specifically used the site to convert them to tracks so you wouldn't have this problem.
Well I called the modified up in Mapsource and during the transfer it said it was transferring tracks to the GPS, but then I couldn't see any tracks on my GPS screen, so then I called up something else that said "Georgia Florida" and I guess that must have been the raw file. The strange thing was that even when just using the gps to go from point A to point B and not navigating a route, I could see that "remote location" notation from the route. Will a garmin 2620 do tracks? I can't find anything that says navigate tracks, only navigate route.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

To be honest, I don't claim to be an expert about GPS units. My goal is for you to see the track in Mapsource. From there I assume that you can make the transfer to your unit work (there are just so many and they are all a little different). I can't say that I know what the "Georgia Florida" thing was. There are two files one is called $mapname-modified.gpx and the other is $mapname-raw.gpx. They MAY contain different things depending on how much updating to the map the person did on the site. It just so happens that this raw file had routes and tracks in it. I deleted (or converted) the routes to tracks because without the original map the route was made from you are sort of dead in the water. If you want to take another look at the files in mapsource and see if you can figure them out, I'd like to know what you come up with.

Quote:
Well I called the modified up in Mapsource and during the transfer it said it was transferring tracks to the GPS, but then I couldn't see any tracks on my GPS screen, so then I called up something else that said "Georgia Florida" and I guess that must have been the raw file. The strange thing was that even when just using the gps to go from point A to point B and not navigating a route, I could see that "remote location" notation from the route. Will a garmin 2620 do tracks? I can't find anything that says navigate tracks, only navigate route.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Yeah, I'll study it a little and see if I can figure it out, I'm not exactly a power user, I've never read the manual on the gps, probably don't even have it anymore. The screen is delaminating and will do all sorts of crazy things, I almost threw it to the alligators.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Yeah, I'll study it a little and see if I can figure it out, I'm not exactly a power user, I've never read the manual on the gps, probably don't even have it anymore. The screen is delaminating and will do all sorts of crazy things, I almost threw it to the alligators.
Haha. I dropped mine on a trail in Apalachicola once. I was afraid a gator would get it as I had just seen one a few minutes earlier.

If the Zumo would display tracks, I'd say it was the perfect dualsport GPS. Someday, Garmin will update the software or make it opensource. Maybe I should just try to develop my own "Perfect" GPS. I was thinking about writing software for my phone, but it's antenna really isn't up to the task.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Crim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Haha. I dropped mine on a trail in Apalachicola once. I was afraid a gator would get it as I had just seen one a few minutes earlier.

If the Zumo would display tracks, I'd say it was the perfect dualsport GPS. Someday, Garmin will update the software or make it opensource. Maybe I should just try to develop my own "Perfect" GPS. I was thinking about writing software for my phone, but it's antenna really isn't up to the task.
Just pickup a GPS module and a microprocessor like a PIC or Arduino
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Just pickup a GPS module and a microprocessor like a PIC or Arduino
http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/10/google...pen-accessory/
I'm starting to get interested. Maybe I can just make a better GPS antenna and still write the software for Android??
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
The 2610/2620 do not handle tracks well at all. They do record "one" track as you are going, but its pretty limited and I don't think you can really see it. I think you can load 1 active track into its memory, but its pretty convuluted and doesn't work that well. Even the newer 2720/2730/2820 handle active tracks a little better, but still no saved track options. None of those are really the optimum GPS for DS riding. You want to find a GPS that has a 10k pt active track log and at least 20 saved tracks of 500pts or more. The 276c/376c/478 all do this very well and in fact have 20 tracks of 750 pts each plus the 10k pt active track log.

For using a 2620 GPS, you would almost be better doing a "direct route" vs a route that follows the roads. At least it can store multiple routes. I can't remember off the top of my head how many pts, but with enough, you would be able to follow it. Problem is though, you can only ever see the "active route" on the screen vs where tracks show up all the time.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
diesel1015
will wrench for food

Oddometer: 49
I ride from Columbus to Fayetteville a lot of weekends on a dr650. I definitely have to give this a try. Just as soon as I find a gps....
diesel1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #25
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1015 View Post
I ride from Columbus to Fayetteville a lot of weekends on a dr650. I definitely have to give this a try. Just as soon as I find a gps....
If you have an android phone, I'm working on something you might like.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #26
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
i'm going to give this one a try as well
thank you VERY MUCH for sharing this route with us
i really appreciate it
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #27
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
i'm going to give this one a try as well
thank you VERY MUCH for sharing this route with us
i really appreciate it
Enjoy. I've done it a few times now. There is plenty of sand down south, but the route stays interesting throughout.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Looks like a group of us over on BSB are going to give this a try on Feb 18-19th if the weather corporates with us.

Crafty, you want to join us if you have that weekend free? - http://www.blokessportbike.com/showthread.php?p=1160941
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #29
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Crafty, you want to join us if you have that weekend free?
Sounds like fun. I have a prior obligation, but riding sounds better. I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #30
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Is this route doable on a big bike (GSA,S10, etc.)
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote