ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,177
I've done it on a F800GS. A buddy on a R12GS. It's fine. There is some sand and mud in places, nothing that a fair amount of throttle won't fix.

There are LOTS of photos on the website. Click on the Camera icons to see them.
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100003
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut View Post
Is this route doable on a big bike (GSA,S10, etc.)
From my link above, there's a good size group of us that are going to run this next week. Feel free to join us.

We are going to have several V-stroms (both 650 & 1000), a GSA1200, and a then a few smaller DS bikes. It should be an interesting trip.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I told my wife I would go to this with her, so I'm stuck at home. bah

http://www.damesaflame.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
From my link above, there's a good size group of us that are going to run this next week. Feel free to join us.

We are going to have several V-stroms (both 650 & 1000), a GSA1200, and a then a few smaller DS bikes. It should be an interesting trip.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I told my wife I would go to this with her, so I'm stuck at home. bah

http://www.damesaflame.com/
Yeah, I hate that you can't join us Crafty, but let me know next time if you just just want some company for a ride or something. I've almost always got my weekends off and I have quite a bit of saved vacation I need to use before June too this year.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:

Many thanks for the invite! I think I'll take a rain check until I get some DS miles on the S10. Not sure how it's going to do on dirt (at least with me riding it...)
Look forward to an RR about the trip though. Want to take my son on that one later in the year.
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Yeah, I hate that you can't join us Crafty, but let me know next time if you just just want some company for a ride or something. I've almost always got my weekends off and I have quite a bit of saved vacation I need to use before June too this year.
Later in the year I will be ready for some camping trips.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut View Post
Many thanks for the invite! I think I'll take a rain check until I get some DS miles on the S10. Not sure how it's going to do on dirt (at least with me riding it...)
Look forward to an RR about the trip though. Want to take my son on that one later in the year.
Well, you wouldn't be alone. LOL There are a couple guys just on street tires on their strom's. I had an old set of used TKC's I spooned back on myself, but that's only because I had them. Maybe next time. I'm looking forward to the trip.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #38
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 539
Hey CC,

In a couple of weeks I'm picking up an XR in Tallahassee and bringing it back home. I want to ride one half of this route on my trip home. Knowing that I can only do the east or west leg, which would you suggest? I would be looking for the one with the most dirt/sand. Thanks!!
sdthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
hey cc,

in a couple of weeks i'm picking up an xr in tallahassee and bringing it back home. I want to ride one half of this route on my trip home. Knowing that i can only do the east or west leg, which would you suggest? I would be looking for the one with the most dirt/sand. Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 380
Looks like a great route CC. Thanks for taking the time to map it out. Looking forward to hooking up with the gang and making this ride happen.

Cheers

DBF
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #41
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Well, due to the really crappy weather through S. GA for this weekend, our group cancelled, but we are gonna try it again real soon.

I worked with the route some and modified a few areas where I think I can add in some more dirt to it. We'll see how it works out after we get a chance to run it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #42
DRZDIVER
MidGA

Oddometer: 10
Connect to Atlanta to Florida Route

CraftyCoder,
I have connected several DualSport routes to your Atl to Fl route. I have a dirt road route from Cochran Ga to Brunswick. Brunswick to Madison Fla. From Madison, following your route north to Ellaville, and from Ellaville over to Cochran. These routes connected together form a loop of over 500 miles. I don't have the software to plot the GPS, but have roll charts without the milage. We hope to ride these in the near future and create a roll chart and GPS route. A friend has plotted the Cochran to Brunswick route, but not the others. These route are mostly dirt, with some pavement to connect them. I use a Garmin Oregon as my GPS, so it doesn't get too technical for that unit. Any help would be great.
DRZDIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #43
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

I guess I should have posted up that we ended up running this about 2 weeks later. It was the weekend of March 3rd-4th. We ended up having a terribly wet day on Saturday, but was still a blast. Even spending 90mins on one very muddy road and having to remove 2 fenders and ending up with toasted clutch on my wife's XT225.

Sunday was a blast coming home since there was so much moisture in the sand, it was perfect!

My pics and videos - http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Moto...9486&k=zFf837Z
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #44
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Check out dualsportmaps.com for planning tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDIVER View Post
CraftyCoder,
I have connected several DualSport routes to your Atl to Fl route. I have a dirt road route from Cochran Ga to Brunswick. Brunswick to Madison Fla. From Madison, following your route north to Ellaville, and from Ellaville over to Cochran. These routes connected together form a loop of over 500 miles. I don't have the software to plot the GPS, but have roll charts without the milage. We hope to ride these in the near future and create a roll chart and GPS route. A friend has plotted the Cochran to Brunswick route, but not the others. These route are mostly dirt, with some pavement to connect them. I use a Garmin Oregon as my GPS, so it doesn't get too technical for that unit. Any help would be great.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #45
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
I guess I should have posted up that we ended up running this about 2 weeks later. It was the weekend of March 3rd-4th. We ended up having a terribly wet day on Saturday, but was still a blast. Even spending 90mins on one very muddy road and having to remove 2 fenders and ending up with toasted clutch on my wife's XT225.

Sunday was a blast coming home since there was so much moisture in the sand, it was perfect!

My pics and videos - http://bluelghtning.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Trips-and-Travels/Dual-Sport-Rides-Gallery/2012-03-03-BSB-ATL-to-FL-DS/21789855_dpFWXw#!i=1737209486&k=zFf837Z
Soupy! But looks like you guys had fun! I didn't see anyone w/o a smile on their face!!!

FYI for anyone who monitors this thread I think (70% yes, 30% not sure yet) I am doing half of this loop southbound this coming Fri or Sat chasing my better half down to FL with the kido's for spring break. Work is driving the indecision on schedule.... if anyone wants to team up for the southbound half I would welcome the company. My bail point is north Tally somewhere.

I'll be on a GS1200 with DS tires at a moderate pace with plenty of stops for breaks and what not. I don't mind catching up to someone faster or taking a break to wait for someone slower... this will be my first trip with my new Montana so god knows I'll be stopping to fiddle with it plenty...

Departure point will be in-town ATL but could meet anywhere south of there...