User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
henderdogg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Western States Loop

Getting ready for a loop ride through CA, NV, OR, ID, MT, and UT. I have made hotel reservations in Gardnerville NV, Klamath Falls OR, Mountain Home ID, Jackson MT, Provo UT, and Bishop CA.

Any tips or pointers on sights to see or routes would be greatly appreciated.
henderdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I did a similar route about two years ago, but I started and ended in San Diego. Highway 12 in Southern Utah, especially between Boulder and Escalante, is probably my favorite stretch of road in the country. This might be a little farther south than you intend to travel, but it's a worthwhile diversion. Calf Creek is a great place to camp along the Burr Trail outside of Boulder.

Shoshone Falls was an interesting stop, but the two bridges crossing the gorge on either side of the falls were more dramatic.

If you're a history buff, the whole route between Mountain Home and Pocatello is littered with Oregon Trail sights. The Three Islands Crossing near Shoshone is a cool place to contemplate some of the challenges faced by the pioneers. Promontory, UT is the site of the Golden Spike (the rail spike that joined the Union Pacific and Central Pacific rail lines). It's pretty far outside of Salt Lake City, so I passed up the visit.

Have fun!

-B
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,178
I guess if you'll be in Klamath Falls you're close enough to Crater Lake that it would be a sin not to go there. I'd go in from the South and depending on where you're going the next night, take Hwy 62 back out and then South toward Prospect/Shady Cove/Medford, or go out the North and take 138 wherever you plan to go next. 58 is nice too. If you're going West to the coast, 199 is nice through Grants Pass, Cave Junction, etc. You can continue to the coast, or you can drop down into California through Happy Camp and continue to the Bay Area.

If you can/want, I think you might want prefer to stay at the Historic Prospect Hotel just South of Crater Lake. Nice dinner house and bar, quaint, out of the way place. The owner of the place is a motorcycle guy and would probably get a kick out of you riding such a loop.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote