User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
So happy with my FJR!

I bought this bike! Today I did a 3 hour loop in preparation of my upcoming 8.5 trip for a long weekend. I still have some things to figure out (like my gps dilemia) but I LOVE riding this bike! 3 hours on my F8ST and body parts hurt! My knees were great, my butt didn't hurt (impressed with stock seat) and I felt great when I got home. Plus, I tried my new ScalaRider Q2 today with my phone and it did great! All around, a great day!

Now I know it was only 3 hours and I have done long days on other bikes but I think I have the bike that I have been looking for! It's still a beast in the garage and heavy as crap but I think it's a keeper

Here is my loop. Lots of straights but nice quiet back roads for a time.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...=10&via=2&z=10
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Welcome to the FJR club.

I use a Techmount stem mount for my Garmin Nuvi 1350, using a RAM quick-detach mount for easy removal. I power it via an SAE-to-USB adapter I picked up, either running into my tank bag and then running back out to the GPS if I'm using my large tank bag, or else just wrapping the adapter and short cable around the Techmount itself. I can also power my mobile phone from this, via a USB hub inside the tank bag.

You must be one of the very few owners who are happy with the stock seat for long distances. Mine was great for under an hour, much past that and I'd have to get off for a break. My new Rick Mayer saddle has eliminated those issues, and was well worth the $350 spend.

My next install is a CalSci medium windshield. The stock windshield is insufficient for 70 mph freeway driving... too much wind noise... but I can duck down an inch or so and be in the bubble. Here's hoping the 2" taller CalSci will prevent having to duck. The Rifle windshields are widely touted as the best, but they ARE ugly, IMO. Then, after that I'm considering one of the McCruise electronic cruise controls to replace my 2WheelRide GoCruise... the GoCruise works decently but you have to dink with it on hills.

If you don't have the factory trunk, you can find new-old stock (NOS) ones for your year and color on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. Great for longer trips so you can have everything in a locked hard case.

Of course, there's also frame sliders. I had bought a set but hadn't installed them and then had a zero-speed fall... in my driveway! Just a few scratches to the right mirror, the right fairing, and the right pannier, so now the bike has character, but I installed them that evening so now I'll never fall again!

Good luck on your upcoming trip.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Welcome to the FJR club.

I use a Techmount stem mount for my Garmin Nuvi 1350, using a RAM quick-detach mount for easy removal. I power it via an SAE-to-USB adapter I picked up, either running into my tank bag and then running back out to the GPS if I'm using my large tank bag, or else just wrapping the adapter and short cable around the Techmount itself. I can also power my mobile phone from this, via a USB hub inside the tank bag.

Yeah, I need to figure something out. I almost got the triple clamp ram mount but may just get a tank bag with a spot for gps.

You must be one of the very few owners who are happy with the stock seat for long distances. Mine was great for under an hour, much past that and I'd have to get off for a break. My new Rick Mayer saddle has eliminated those issues, and was well worth the $350 spend.

Had a rick Mayer on my BMW and it was great but I'm the type that I'm not changing it unless it hurts. Guess we will see after my long weekend.

My next install is a CalSci medium windshield. The stock windshield is insufficient for 70 mph freeway driving... too much wind noise... but I can duck down an inch or so and be in the bubble. Here's hoping the 2" taller CalSci will prevent having to duck. The Rifle windshields are widely touted as the best, but they ARE ugly, IMO. Then, after that I'm considering one of the McCruise electronic cruise controls to replace my 2WheelRide GoCruise... the GoCruise works decently but you have to dink with it on hills.

I guess being 5'7" helps with not having to change out windshields! Thought about cruise control at some point but don't know if I will go electronic or not. Had a simple thumb activated one on my Wee and may just go that route again.

If you don't have the factory trunk, you can find new-old stock (NOS) ones for your year and color on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. Great for longer trips so you can have everything in a locked hard case.

I was lucky to find one that came with the GIVI (I believe E55) with the integrated lights. Usually don't like having all three cases on but with the FJR I love it!

Of course, there's also frame sliders. I had bought a set but hadn't installed them and then had a zero-speed fall... in my driveway! Just a few scratches to the right mirror, the right fairing, and the right pannier, so now the bike has character, but I installed them that evening so now I'll never fall again!

I certainly know ALL about this one. I also dropped my in my driveway! Broke my left mirror, which has been replaced, and scratched my side bag, which has already been sanded and repainted. Will get something for protection but what I really want is the MCEnterprise protectors. I think they go so well with the bike!

Good luck on your upcoming trip.
Thanks for the wishes and info John! I appreciate it!