User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Record Australian entry for 2011 Dakar

Australian interest in the 2011 Dakar Rally is at a record high, with the highest number of entries and for the first time an all Australian team set to hit the trail in Chile and Argentina.

January's start in Buenos Aires will feature ten Aussie competitors, with the youngest of the contingent from Down Under, 21-year-old Jacob Smith, aiming high on two wheels - as long as he doesn't do a 'Mark Thatcher' and lose his way.

"Now you mention it, I?ve never used GPS up to now!" he told the rally's official website on Tuesday.

Thatcher, the son of former British Prime minister Margaret Thatcher, went missing in the Sahara desert for six days on his Dakar debut in 1982.

Jacob added: "My goal is to finish in the Top 10.

"And this year I?m here just to learn the ropes. Then I?ll be trying to score a better result."

Rally organisers revealed that Australia are due to have six competitors in the motorcycle division, and four rally drivers, with GHR Honda the first all Australian entry.

Bruce Garland and his Japanese navigator, Hiroaki Suzuki, came in 11th in the 2009 Dakar, with Garland optimistic of bettering that come January.
"Our goal is to finish in the Top 10 and to be the first in line for the million dollars," he said.

The Aussies will form part of a 270-strong caravan consisting of competitors, support vehicles and motorcycles in the rally which next year will involve a circuit to the extreme north of both Argentina and Chile
The rally is returning to South America for the third consecutive year in 2011, after switching continents from its traditional home in Africa.
The gruelling event was staged in Africa from 1979 to 2007 but moved to South America after the 2008 rally was called off on the eve of the race due to security concerns.

Last year's race attracted over four million spectators.

Chile has confirmed its readiness to act as co-host again despite February's devastating earthquake and tsunami which left 452 people dead and almost 100 missing.

The 2011 Dakar will run from January 1-16

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jO4-nm3t3w5ZpNAD-6q_ixPEWb6g?docId=CNG.2d0f5d7b7806ca46d1395b01928d aa94.2b1
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,927
Go Jacob!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Trang OP

He Aussies Are Coming!

He Aussies Are Coming!

This year the "Personal Dakar Argentina Chile" has attracted a record number of Australian competitors. On two wheels or four, they might even improve the quality of the performance through sheer strength of numbers. Their best men have set their sights on the Top 10.

The movement is on the march. In the next edition of the Dakar a record will already have been broken with the issue of technical and administrative scrutineering, since eight vehicles driven by Australians are expected at the start of Buenos Aires. It is in the motorcycle category that we can observe a real upsurge from the other end of the world, with six machines already committed and four new participants in the rally. Apart from anything else these four wild rovers make up the first 100% Australian team in the Dakar, GHR Honda, in which they aim to make their presence felt on the track. Armed with the experience gained in the Australasian Safari Rally, the benchmark event in their part of the planet, the "Aussies" are pinning their hopes on the youngest among them to join battle with the best in the discipline. Their spearhead, little wizard Jacob Smith, will be only 22 years old when he come to the start of the Dakar, but his victory in the 2009 Safari gives him all the confidence of a champion in the making: "My goal is to finish in the Top 10. And this year I’m here just to learn the ropes. Then I’ll be trying to score a better result!". Sure of his grounds, go-getter Jacob still concedes certain limits as regards global positioning navigation: "now you mention it, I’ve never used GPS up to now!"

In that respect much is expected of both cars. However, Bruce Garland and navigator Hiroaki Suzuki sport some impressive feathers in their caps, with an overall 11th place in the first South American edition of the Dakar, in 2009. Since which time the words of the driver, incidentally now five-time winner of the Safari, ring out loud and clear as a warning to all the outsiders in the rally: "our goal is to finish in the Top 10 and to be the first in line for the million dollars".

The Australians in the Dakar 2011:

Motorcycles:
- Mark Davidson
- Simon Harslett
- Simon Pavey
- Andrew Scott
- Jacob Smith
- Warren Strange

Auto rally:
- Bruce Garland - Hiroaki Suzuki
- Geoffrey Olholm - Steve Riley

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-147916.html
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,900
Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Trang OP

EMD's Max Sullivan and GHR Honda takes on the 2011 Dakar Rally

GHR Honda has finally pulled it all together and is taking four riders from Australia. It should be a lot easier than the 2007 Dakar Max did in Africa.
Max worked on three bikes on my own during that race, but this time it will be three mechanics for four bikes. Simon Wade and Jake Young who spanner at the Australian Safari will be heading to their first Dakar. This will be an eye opener for them.
Jacob Smith from Condobolin is our No1 rider, who crashed in the Safari this year, but won the event outright last year.

Warren Strange from Western Australia is pretty fast as well, although a little older than Jacob.

Mark Davidson from Sydney completed the Safari this year, and is expecting things to be a lot tougher at the Dakar. Mark is one of the many riders entering the race, simply as a challenge and hopes to finish the event.

The fourth rider we have not met yet.

The bikes and spares have been packed up in a container and sent on their way to Buenos Aires. Hoffo has bought a Dakar equipped truck which will be sent from England to meet us in Buenos Aires. I think we are also hiring a four wheel drive as a second vehicle.

There is a documentary being made about the GHR team and “Claudio” aka Luke will be travelling with us for the entire event. Luke also covered the 12 days we were away in Western Australia with the Safari.

Jake Young and I fly out on Xmas day, while Simon, Hoffo and Jacob fly out a few days before. Helen is also flying out on Xmas day, but heading to China to see her family.

The race starts on January 1st and finishes on January 16th. We have a few days after the race to clean and pack things up, then fly back home.

I am not sure of race numbers yet, but Jacob is 222 so keep an eye out for him.

In the mean time, I had better brush up on my very limited French and Spanish

http://www.eatmydirt.com.au/News/tab...kar-Rally.aspx
Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Trang OP

Anyone got any more news on the GHR / Jacob Smith going to Dakar?

We are all but a month away from the start of Dakar 2011, and can only presume that the bikes and gear are on their way, but i can't find any info about it at all.

Anyone...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,162
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Good shit! may they all come home in one piece...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e
Anyone got any more news on the GHR / Jacob Smith going to Dakar?

We are all but a month away from the start of Dakar 2011, and can only presume that the bikes and gear are on their way, but i can't find any info about it at all.

Anyone...
There is a big article on the team & prep etc in the latest Transmoto magazine
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
There is a big article on the team & prep etc in the latest Transmoto magazine

is there a link??
or do we gotta buy the mag??
Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Have a look here:

http://www.transmoto.com.au/enduro/v...ith-Jake-Smith

A fair bit from the article appears here in conversation.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote