Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #61
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
where are you with your spoked wheels, forks and pegs?

the rear axle is 20mm and the rear disc is 220mm on these which makes the ktm wheels the most obvious donors coming in 17/18/19 configs. I'm trying to decide if there is any advantage of a 19 over an 18. i have a 17 supermoto already.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #62
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Peg update

Here are the components I used to move the left side peg and shifter. The shifter is from a 1982 GPZ 550 that was in my atttic for 25 years. The pegs are cheap e-bay KLR off road pegs. The shoulder bolt for the shifter pivot is from Mcmaster Carr. The mounting plate is 3/16" steel. Mounting bolts are the stock Ninja mounting bolts. The u shape weldment is from a 1979 KZ 650 passenger peg (in the attic).

I removed the kick stand safety switch and sawed through the monting plate until the sawcut met a hole in the mounting bracket. After this I took a BFH and big drift and bent safety switch mounting tab verticle. I drilled and tapped this verticle tab. On the back side of the tab I welded it back to to the other half of the kick stand tab. This drilled and tapped verticle tab is the shifter pivot mount.

Total investment for this set up was under $20.00.

If I were to start all over I would try to put the shifter pivot on the peg mounting plate, that would have met modifing the shifter levers some or building a new shifter.

I will looking for folding shifters on ebay so I can cut the folding mechanism off and weld on to this shifter.

The parts have been bead blasted and will have to be painted yet. I fired the bike tonight while it was up on jack stand and ran it through the gears - seems to work good.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #63
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Photos

Old 11-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #64
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

The right side has fewer components. I used some more 3/16" steel for the mounting plate and the opposite KZ peg mount. The master cylinder is mounted on the plate and the brake pedal pivot shaft is welded on the back side. I did have to remove some material from the cylinder mounting bosses so the the cylinder would fit between the plate and the frame. This material was used as spacing material on the Ninja set up and will not affect the mounting strength.

As mentioned earlier this moves the pegs forward 7" and lowers them about 2". This location was selected based on my KLR 650 ergonomics.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #65
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is the photo, I would also like to find a folding lever for a donor on this side as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #66
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
where are you with your spoked wheels, forks and pegs?

the rear axle is 20mm and the rear disc is 220mm on these which makes the ktm wheels the most obvious donors coming in 17/18/19 configs. I'm trying to decide if there is any advantage of a 19 over an 18. i have a 17 supermoto already.
It would be nice to find a KTM rear wheel with cush drive but they are hard to come by. I am thinking KLR or DR650 hub with a 3.5 X 18 rim and 140 TKC. This would require a 17 mm axle and custom adjuster blocks.

Forks, still looking, thinking late model KX. I have not ruled out the late model KLR.

Front wheel, I have a 40 spoke KZ hub that is set up for dual disks. I am considering this with a 19" rim.

This project will take all winter, and the winters are long in WI. So don't be expecting this thing on some new springs and wheels in the next week or 2.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #67
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Good lookign welds on the peg hangars

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #68
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
Looks good, but more importantly how does it work? How about some pics of U standing on the pegs?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #69
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Looking good ktmklx. Minimal and lightweight.

Did you find forks and trees yet?

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #70
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

[quote=SamM]Looking good ktmklx. Minimal and lightweight.

Did you find forks and trees yet?

SamM[/quote

No, I was bidding on some on ebay, didn't get them. I'll keep looking.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #71
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Looks good, but more importantly how does it work? How about some pics of U standing on the pegs?
The pegs work good for sitting and standing, (when standing still, riding may be a different story) the stock ninja handle bars are a long way off and so is the seat. The seat should be raised at least 3", I'll try to do this with foam. Once I decide on forks and triple clamp I can work on the bars. Next time I have the camera out in the shop I'll get some pictures with a rider on it.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #72
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
Good lookign welds on the peg hangars
Thanks, Lincoln Mig Weld-Pak 100, pretty good little welder for that type of work.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #73
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx
The pegs work good for sitting and standing, (when standing still, riding may be a different story) the stock ninja handle bars are a long way off and so is the seat. The seat should be raised at least 3", I'll try to do this with foam. Once I decide on forks and triple clamp I can work on the bars. Next time I have the camera out in the shop I'll get some pictures with a rider on it.
I'd recommend waiting on the seat until you have the suspension in place. The seat height goes up in a hurry, mine is around 37".

What forks are you looking for?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #74
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I did some looking over of the parts bin and the ninja. sanjoh did a ktm front end using a yamaha (R1 ?) steering stem mod and a aftermarket top clamp, right? I figured I would just follow his recipe step by step as i have most of the ktm stuff on hand. now i'm not sure....

I have YZ/wr triples and ktm triples side by side. The yz has a longer stem with double nuts compared to the ktm. I measured the length of the steering tube on my yammie WR and the ninja, they were both about 7 3/4 inches.

Another observation is that the yz triples have a bit more offset built in and the steering stop is similar to the ninja configuration. I think the ktm steering stop is the actual fork tube clamp hitting the frame. Using the yamaha triple might yield sharper turning because the fork tubes are a couple of mm further away from the frame.

YZ top clamp also has the pinch bolts forward instead of rearward position of the ktm. Gas tank clearance problem that sanjoh had to remedy with a different top clamp might be avoided.

I would prefer to have ktm stuff front and back but the yamaha stuff looks like it might be easier, once figured out. I haven't seen the bearings inside the ninja stem to guess whats needed there.

here's a neat ninja link for general faq:

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index.html
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #75
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I started a tread for pictures of Versys, V-Stroms with raised suspensions and I would like to invite you guys to post pictures of your modified Ninja 650R's and SV 650's bikes with a little run down on your mods, likes and dislikes (what would you do different if any), etc. Also if you could put a build link in your post or signature would be great. If we could do this then ever bodys build would be accessible from one tread to help me and others who want to build a custom bike. These are great bike you guys are building and are the answer to what we want. Keep on building!

Thanks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636726