Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #2221
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
Was the chain out of spec as far as measurement between links?

Where do you believe the HP line is as far as when sprockets wear out?

Our XR80s used to destroy sprocket and chains as a set, not sure there is anything with less HP out there.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #2222
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,700
When I look at a sprocket and decide it's not worn is when I say it doesn't need to be changed, case closed, next topic.

Still getting 50 mpg.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #2223
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

What miles were on those sprockets and how many chains do you fit to them without changing?

One of my brothers eyeballs his sprockets too, they always look great, even though his chains are bagged before 5k miles. He attributes that to "cheap" chains. He must be on his 4th chain on that set. He'll never admit the sprockets wear out.

Your MPG might go up if your sprockets weren't chewing thru a new chain!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #2224
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
I would say that alignment and proper lube and adjustment are the next biggest factor for chain life outside of new sprockets.
You can get chains fairly cheap now. Say you get 15,000 out of the first chain with new sprockets, then throw on another $30 chain and try to squeeze another 8-10 thousand miles out. You are still ahead as opposed to dropping $45 for new sprockets and $30 for a new chain as a matched set to get 15,000 miles every time.
Obviously if the sprockets look worn, it is time to toss them, but good looking steel sprockets should last a long time
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #2225
larryboy
Paint it black.

$30 chain?

Not gonna argue with you, Navin. Do what you like and I'll do what I like. BFF's?

Just did my first valve adjustment, what a pain in the ass!! 23,000 miles...intake were right in the middle of the range still, exhaust were just a tick out of spec to the tight side..moved them to the middle of the range. I'll check them in a couple of months at 30,000 miles.

I had told myself that I'd just pull the cams when I needed to swap shims, but noooo...won't listen to myself, dropped a shim and had to pull the cams anyways.

Edit, make sure you have calipers for a valve adjustment...the numbers were worn off of both shims, good thing I had my calipers at home or I'd have been screwed.

larryboy screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 09:01 PM
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #2226
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
So what's it like doing a valve check/adjustment on the CBR250R? I've heard that you can remove a bolt and then slide the cam out of the way or something like that, then change out the shims. That sounds a lot easier than having to remove the cams as on some other shim adjusted bikes.
Thanks, Tony
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #2227
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=larryboy;20749772]$30 chain?

Not gonna argue with you, Navin. Do what you like and I'll do what I like. BFF's?

Agreed, totally VBFF

I haven't bought a $30 chain in the last 20 years! since my kids were racing a JR50! I didn't know you still could!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #2228
sniper1rfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
So what's it like doing a valve check/adjustment on the CBR250R? I've heard that you can remove a bolt and then slide the cam out of the way or something like that, then change out the shims. That sounds a lot easier than having to remove the cams as on some other shim adjusted bikes.
Thanks, Tony
That bit is easy.

Getting to that bit is a pain. Especially for ABS bikes.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2229
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1rfa View Post
That bit is easy.

Getting to that bit is a pain. Especially for ABS bikes.

Here's how I do it, non-ABS bike.

Body side panels off, radiator with fan pulled to the left side, valve cover off, cam chain tensioner off, cam chain slapper over the cams off, cam caps off, rocker shafts out, lift cam and pull the rockers out and set aside, magnet the shims out, new shim stuck to finger with grease, hold cam up with chain in place, pop new shim in, repeat as needed, put back together.

Huge stressful pain in the ass!! I much prefer a large 29 mm valve shim like a KLR, something I can get my hands on.

Plus side? Only one adjustment in 23,000 miles.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #2230
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
So a question to anybody here,

then this bike first came out a was all over it, and actually started saving my pesos, but now the the Ninja 300 is out, so, for you after owning the CBR250 are you thinking of selling it and moving to the Ninja 300? If so why?

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #2231
larryboy
Paint it black.

I don't like Kawasakis, they aren't as well made as a Honda IMHO. I'd choose one of the Honda 500's over the 250 given the choice right now.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #2232
sniper1rfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

then this bike first came out a was all over it, and actually started saving my pesos, but now the the Ninja 300 is out, so, for you after owning the CBR250 are you thinking of selling it and moving to the Ninja 300? If so why?

Thanks

Damasovi
That would be pointless. It's not that much better.

I might have considered it to begin with though.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #2233
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
There's a guy over on the CBR250 forum that did just that, trading his CBR250 for a new Ninja 300. He's also posted his opinions/comparisons of the bikes.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #2234
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I don't like Kawasakis, they aren't as well made as a Honda IMHO. I'd choose one of the Honda 500's over the 250 given the choice right now.
Out of curiousity; why would you prefer the 500's over the NC 700?

I wouldn't be suprised if you'd get better milage with the 700 compared to your current 250. That bike should be more in it's element doing 75 - 85.

I havn't ridden on both of them though I think I'd go for the 700, especially for commuting.

*edit* is the whole adv website changed of format? All colours look...different to me oO?

*edit2* already figured it out. Somehow the adv website skin changed. Completly out of itself. Must be the smurfs.
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #2235
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Thanks guys!

Damasovi