Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #136
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,213
It's gotta be almost summer over there, so let's get crackin'!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #137
nolimits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Cool2 rear fuel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef View Post
go on, run a low pipe, you know you want to!
i am amazed about your work so far keep up the good work . would like to know were to get a rear fuel tank like yours , as i am planing to make something similar to your bike i call the mix and mach bikes.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #138
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Awsome...

Hey Yamahaman ! A killer project on the go there. Been watching this project from day one and impressed by your never ending skills. Rear hub is a work of art for the living room wall ! Stay off the YZ, not long to go now before beers in outback pubs !!!!
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #139
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Oddometer: 89
Hamish,

Must be about time for an update.... Had a laugh when I was found this thread and got to the photo of you demonstrating the fairing... hang on a sec... I know that ugly mug! you will remember me from a few years back... DRZ400, VPMSC, Riders edge...

Cheers Scotty
scottyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #140
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyoffroad View Post
Hamish,

Must be about time for an update.... Had a laugh when I was found this thread and got to the photo of you demonstrating the fairing... hang on a sec... I know that ugly mug! you will remember me from a few years back... DRZ400, VPMSC, Riders edge...

Cheers Scotty

Hey scott
hows It been still working in the bike game? Once I swap the motor over I will be doing some testing runs over near the border if that is your current location. Been real lazy with the build got two kids under two and a little lack of motivation one of the club members came over today to help but thing were a bit mental around here with the kids so not much was achived but I have go the bug again so there will be some progress in the near future

kep you eyes peeled

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #141
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Wink Been a while but i'm back

Hello guys and girls
I have had some encoragement to finish my project and I got it so close and I am sick of looking at it here in my shed. So I have done some work to her.

Finished all of the welding and bits and pieces.
Fitted all of the new swing arm bearings.
Fitted new stearing bearings
and
tested the motor.

ready for it to come together into the finished frame

All I gotta do is fit the motor and wire it up.

My crazy bike build
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #142
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
Hey scott
hows It been still working in the bike game? Once I swap the motor over I will be doing some testing runs over near the border if that is your current location. Been real lazy with the build got two kids under two and a little lack of motivation one of the club members came over today to help but thing were a bit mental around here with the kids so not much was achived but I have go the bug again so there will be some progress in the near future

kep you eyes peeled

No longer in the bike industry mate.... selling farm equipment of all things! don't even have a bike at the moment Just hang around advrider a bit because some of the threads are a pretty interesting read. Just got a fourby so I can take the kiddos out bush with me. 2 boys - 4.5 and 3. More than welcome to drop in and say Gday if you are over this way. Can even throw a swag out in the shed if needed. Cheers Scotty
scottyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #143
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

For sure I love sheds

Mate I just got a fourby as well so I know what your going thru. If accessorsing bikes is expensive holy shit four wheel drives are mental.

I love swags and sheds that would be awsome

My crazy bike build
Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #144
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
i am glad i am still subscribed to this thread... you go get 'er done!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #145
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Cry What a disaster

I had A fellow inmate come around a we stripped the donor bike.

Two men

Two hours

We proceeded to fit the motor the the frame and there was problem after problem. Motor in frame not centralised, frame too narrow to fit any carb exept for an 84 tt 600 twin and add the fact I had to build an oil resivour as well. I decided to give the new frame away as much as it broke my heart it is easier to do this and replicate all of my work on the original donor bike frame. It will always be better the second time round anyway!

So I started to fit the forks NEW PROBLEM Arggggghhhh!

The head tubes are different MORE WORK Arggggghhhh! but there is a silver lining

I cracked out the vernier and micrometer and the steerer tube in the tripples (xt & yz) is the same lower diameter so In theory you could press the xt600 steerer into the yz bottom triple due to me using an aftermarket tripple the xt steerer is a bit sloppy! Solution! Hit the lathe

I have replicated the thread and id bearing size so the xt upper bearing will slide over the stearer. Next was the cut the thread for the xt 600 lock nut and thats the stearer done. Finally I had to sleeve the upper tripple to suit the new stearer diameter. It has reduced from 25mm to 24 mm.

LEFT is the yz CENTRE is the xt/yz RIGHT is the xt. As you can see the centre on is a bit of a hybid as the xt has a bolt that secures the top clamp into the stearer tube and the yz has the standard Yamaha top nut setup.

Finished Product ready to have bearings pressed on and be fitted to bike to help in re-setting up rear end.

The shed is a disaster zone and going to get a general tidy up. I have finished all of the dirty work (grinding off the sub frame) and with the forks in the xt 600 frame should be a breeze to finish

My crazy bike build
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #146
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Just found this thread and I have to say this is awesome. Thanks so much for doing this for me......so I don't have to. I have an old XT600 and was considering similar swaps with a YZ. Even picked up a YZ really cheap this winter, but decided to fix it instead of swapping the parts over to the XT. Now I still have an XT with all of its shortcomings, but I also have a YZ that only cost $500. I applaud all your hard work, but it makes me grateful for my choice to just fix the YZ. Now I am even getting to go motocrossing (another thing the XT didn't do well).
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #147
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Wicked re-done lower suspension link

Pressed the new tripples together and they fitted perfectly I am much happier with the way I have done the forks this time round much better steering solution.

Next fitted and finish assembled the forks so I could work on the lower linkage setup

Spent a few an hour or so remaking the lower linkage and getting it ready to tack weld when I get a hand to lift the motor into place.

This is so much easier when you only have to copy and not have to re-design it all

My crazy bike build
Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #148
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Nice you got going again, love that front end
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #149
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Outstanding