User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #151
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Bluhduh things are going well considering

I have been in the shed working may ass off! There's been a few past midnight sessions to get this thing going after the frame setback but things aren't going all that badly.

welded in the lower pivot mount the other night

Did these welds in position so thats why they are a bit rough will mig the other side to make it super strong although I dont think it will need it.

Once this was in place it, I could put the rear sub frame in, and then get the alignment and rear wheel travel correct. The subframe will have to move back 20mm and up 8mm to give me a better alignment but all in all not bad for a bit of a guess. Thes will also help the alignment of the carb boot im going to have to make.

On a positive note the chain alignment has improved to be almost perfect with the change in frames and it looks like the original seat will align with the sub frame perfectly with minor triming.

Things are looking up thats for sure.

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #152
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Excellent! Looking good (again).
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #153
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I have been in the shed working may ass off! There's been a few past midnight sessions to get this thing going after the frame setback but things aren't going all that badly.

welded in the lower pivot mount the other night

Did these welds in position so thats why they are a bit rough will mig the other side to make it super strong although I dont think it will need it.

Once this was in place it, I could put the rear sub frame in, and then get the alignment and rear wheel travel correct. The subframe will have to move back 20mm and up 8mm to give me a better alignment but all in all not bad for a bit of a guess. Thes will also help the alignment of the carb boot im going to have to make.

On a positive note the chain alignment has improved to be almost perfect with the change in frames and it looks like the original seat will align with the sub frame perfectly with minor triming.

Things are looking up thats for sure.
Great work!! One of the top XT 600 in the world!!!!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #154
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,790
Looking good, It should be a ripper once it's finished
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #155
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Wicked subframe fitted and shock mount tack welded

I have tack welded the top shock bracket into place and cut the old exhaust mount off and fitted the mounts for the wr sub frame this is always the time consuming part because you need to make sure all of the bits fit i.e. you must tack everything in place and then fit the shock without the spring and run the wheel through its full travel at the shortest wheel base to make sure that nothing touches.

Once this is done I mounted the tags to hold the subframe in place. I have now just got the steering damper and front fairing bracket to make and fix to the bike and I am finished most of the fabrication work. Just a quick trip to my work to use the mig welder to finish weld the shock mount into place

I have come across one small problem, the heavy handed Army mechanics have stripped the footpeg Threads on the right hand side so im not sure if I should bond helicoils in with some devcon or fill both with weld and re-drill and tap the holes out.

Any suggestions????

My crazy bike build
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #156
Helikoptermann
bloody german...

Oddometer: 51
I must say, I love your build. Very impressing.

About the stripped threads...
I´go for the re-weld and re-drill option, simply because I know the feeling (and results btw) of losing a footpeg on the street. Imagine it would break loose while you´re on the dirt, probably standing.

Another alternative may be going up one thread size. Depends on the room you have left...
Old 07-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #157
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,916
Build is looking excellent, congratulations.

Re thread repair, I've had success with Timeserts, and prefer them to helicoil type repairs.

http://www.timesert.com/

I've got mine on eBay previously:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...All-Categories

Steve
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #158
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Oddometer: 89
Hamish,

Bergdonk is right about the timeserts... they are a much better option to a helicoil.. I have used them in the past and have worked very well.

Cheers Scotty
scottyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #159
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,916
Thread Repair

If cost is a factor, and when isn't it, welding it up and redrilling and threading is good too? But getting the hole drilled on centre and square can be a challenge, and may require some form of jig to be fabricated up before welding. The Timeserts just work.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #160
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Thumb steering damper fitted

Welded the steering damper bracket on and checked it for range of motion this time its a little less "sydney harbour bridge" the bracket on the other frame was made out of 6mm plate and was a little bit too much.

The only fabrication left is the front fairing mount, I have one bent up because I bent a few just in case I made a mistake and sure enough I did. This will go on later tonight or tomorrow.

My crazy bike build
Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #161
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Question custom seat base finish welding

I went to the factory and used the mig to do the heavy penetrating welds on the top shock mount and the lower linkage. It went ok, the mig has had a hard life with the sheet metal workers giving it a pasting day in day out and there is a bit of a problem in that the lining in the lead is buggered and doesnt feed the wire well so the welds are a bit ugly but will do the job. So time to multi task and I thought I would experiment with the seat base and get some shape to it.

So here I have layed some heavy fiberglass mat to give the shape one this layer has cured I will shape and add the brackets to the under side. If I am happy with the shape all to be done is glue the foam on.

While its curing I can do the last few welds and fit the motor.

My crazy bike build
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #162
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Oh hell yea !!!

Question: has anybody ever attempted to install an XT engine in the WR frame? Any success?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #163
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

wont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Oh hell yea !!!

Question: has anybody ever attempted to install an XT engine in the WR frame? Any success?
I had the xt motor next to an 06 yz which is close to a current wr and there is no way to do it without cutting the back bone of the bike and then lengthening it and then there is no room to fit the head in the space provided. Its the same on the older steel frame bikes.

DEFINATE NO GO OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY!

My crazy bike build

yamahaman screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 06:25 PM Reason: grammer
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #164
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

trimmed the seat base advice needed

I seperated the seat base from the bike and now I have shaped it to the size I want it to be. I have heard the fiberglass seats crack and break. Any one else heard this? I have tried to over come this by using one big piece of heavy glass matting as the base and then one main strip up the middle, then some pieces down each side and a piece across the front.

My question is how thick/stiff do i make the base?

My crazy bike build
Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #165
Francesco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I seperated the seat base from the bike and now I have shaped it to the size I want it to be. I have heard the fiberglass seats crack and break. Any one else heard this? I have tried to over come this by using one big piece of heavy glass matting as the base and then one main strip up the middle, then some pieces down each side and a piece across the front.

My question is how thick/stiff do i make the base?
Woaw, Great project!

As an engineer I would say dont use more material but use it smarter: the shape of the seat base in the front will be much stiff and stronger than the end piece because of the more height and double welved shape it has. Maybe you can give some more height in the end piece too? Than you should make your foam part a little bit thinner there.

Compare it with a sheet of thick paper, you can bend it easily (very thin, allmost no height) and when you try to bend it inline with the surface (far more height) its very stif and solid.

Or laminate a piece of alu between the glassfiber layers?
Francesco2 is offline   Reply With Quote