Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Nice!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #197
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Thumb

Looks good. Now just spray paint all the brown rusty stuff and she'll be set.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #198
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
more jobs to be done

So I have been clocking up the city miles on the bike to sort out the loose nuts and bolts and surprisingly there has been very few. I found some blue ripstop canvas and I have decided to tackle making my own pannier bags. It have copied a few ideas from a few places and now all I am waiting for is some bag fittings to come from the states and I can finish the bag off.

This means I can get back to making the moulds for the fairings. I only have to give the final sand to take off the orange peel finish, polish and get ready to make my molds.

lots of work to go still

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #199
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #200
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

heaps of work done

I have been working pretty hard on the bike of late I have finished the bag for the painniers it is a combination of a few products on the market, Immitation is the best form of flattery. I am quite happy with the finish considering that I have never done any sewing before.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #201
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

bash guard

So After the sewing back to the real work I have fabricated a bash guard with a 2.5L (85 Oz) water container on the side bit rough becaue Its been a few months since I have welded aluminium .
Not entierly happy with the profile/shape a bit boxy,square and low at the front but it will protect the motor from any damage wile I am testing and jetting.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #202
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Thumb Crap carb gone

So I have been hunting around for a replacement carb and had heard a few guys had fitted raptor carbs to xt's and some had fitted Kawasaki ex250 carbs (250 Ninja's) I couldnt get my hands on a raptor carb for a reasonable price so I had a look at a ninja carb and it worked a treat on my bike. I have been having a hard time trying to get the jetting right and the bike would not idle at all so I just went to a conventional carb setup (not a big fan of the primary and secondary carbs being seperate)

These are just fairly standard vacume operated carbs I found some info over on thumertalk that because the ninjas rev to 14000 and ours only rev to 7000 or what ever it is the 105 mains they come with should be close to being correct.

So how hard was it? Super easy on the custom manifold I had made for the original carbs I just brought a tube expander set home from work and expanded the tube ends to the same diameter as the carb bell mouth and fitted a short piece of turbo hose and some hose clamps. The rest just fitted in no problems. Its actually easier to fit the new carb in the frame space.

The only tricky part was the cable set up I had to cut and weld the cable hanger because I wanted to reuse the xt cables. I put two cuts in the plate and basically swapped them over and re welded them back together. This picture shows them being tacked in place before welding. You can see the top piece was originaly in the middle and the middle piece was on top just a quick shuffle and all good works perfectly. quick grind when I was finished and a paint.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #203
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Thumb New Carb Set-up for your XT & TT 600!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
So I have been hunting around for a replacement carb and had heard a few guys had fitted raptor carbs to xt's and some had fitted Kawasaki ex250 carbs (250 Ninja's) I couldnt get my hands on a raptor carb for a reasonable price so I had a look at a ninja carb and it worked a treat on my bike. I have been having a hard time trying to get the jetting right and the bike would not idle at all so I just went to a conventional carb setup (not a big fan of the primary and secondary carbs being seperate)

These are just fairly standard vacume operated carbs I found some info over on thumertalk that because the ninjas rev to 14000 and ours only rev to 7000 or what ever it is the 105 mains they come with should be close to being correct.

So how hard was it? Super easy on the custom manifold I had made for the original carbs I just brought a tube expander set home from work and expanded the tube ends to the same diameter as the carb bell mouth and fitted a short piece of turbo hose and some hose clamps. The rest just fitted in no problems. Its actually easier to fit the new carb in the frame space.

The only tricky part was the cable set up I had to cut and weld the cable hanger because I wanted to reuse the xt cables. I put two cuts in the plate and basically swapped them over and re welded them back together. This picture shows them being tacked in place before welding. You can see the top piece was originaly in the middle and the middle piece was on top just a quick shuffle and all good works perfectly. quick grind when I was finished and a paint.

Thanks for posting!! Looks super easy to fit.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #204
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 198
I just posted some questions on the regular xt thread before I read this one. How well do the ninja carbs fit the inlet manifolds? The 84-89 are both the same size, but the 90-95 have different sizes . the right side being larger. I put 86 carbs on my 90 by using two left side inlets. Both 86 carb outlets are the same. How about the ninja carbs? How does the choke cable work out? thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #205
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

choke cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
I just posted some questions on the regular xt thread before I read this one. How well do the ninja carbs fit the inlet manifolds? The 84-89 are both the same size, but the 90-95 have different sizes . the right side being larger. I put 86 carbs on my 90 by using two left side inlets. Both 86 carb outlets are the same. How about the ninja carbs? How does the choke cable work out? thumpthump
I just used a throttle cable in the choke mechanisim with the plastic bend at the carb end and it is loose at the bars at the moment because I havn't figured that part out yet.

But it rides really well and I am happy with the power so far and I havn't started to jet it yet.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #206
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb Do it yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I have been working pretty hard on the bike of late I have finished the bag for the painniers it is a combination of a few products on the market, Immitation is the best form of flattery. I am quite happy with the finish considering that I have never done any sewing before.

Nicely done!
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #207
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Sorry but I am still a little confused. The carb to head manifolds are different sizes on the 90-95 xt. The left is smaller than the right. The holes on the head are the same but the rubber is different. The older 84-89 have the same size left and right. And these are the same as the left side of the 90-95 xt. I would imagine that the ninja carbs are the same size left and right. Thus the ninja carb would fit the stock 90-95 xt carb to head manifolds differently. As far as the carb to air filter boots or runners I am using pods anyway, so not an issue. The 90-95 cable bracket is on the left , and the 84-89 carbs are in the middle of the carbs so I just moved the cable over. Other than being on the right side what requires the cut and rewield of the bracket. I know you are getting questioned to death but I am not happy with the stock carbs and just want to get my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger and order some ninja carbs. Thanks, thumpthump.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #208
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Different sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Sorry but I am still a little confused. The carb to head manifolds are different sizes on the 90-95 xt. The left is smaller than the right. The holes on the head are the same but the rubber is different. The older 84-89 have the same size left and right. And these are the same as the left side of the 90-95 xt. I would imagine that the ninja carbs are the same size left and right. Thus the ninja carb would fit the stock 90-95 xt carb to head manifolds differently. As far as the carb to air filter boots or runners I am using pods anyway, so not an issue. The 90-95 cable bracket is on the left , and the 84-89 carbs are in the middle of the carbs so I just moved the cable over. Other than being on the right side what requires the cut and rewield of the bracket. I know you are getting questioned to death but I am not happy with the stock carbs and just want to get my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger and order some ninja carbs. Thanks, thumpthump.
Yeah right it must be so close that I didn't notice a size difference and I did notice I had to loosen one of the band clamps off more than the other but it did push on to the motor fairly easily and the clamp did do up fine.

I don't think it will be much of a problem though. I have been riding mine and it does not seem to be a problem. Will run the verniers over the original carbs tonight and see what I get.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #209
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Engine side of carbs size

I measured the engine side of the carb an the left hand side is 37mm and the right hand side is 38.5mm. I didn't measure the ninja carb but as I said earlier it did push on easy on the right hand side and the left was marginally tight so I think that ninja carbs are around the 37mm on both sides. Hope this helps

My crazy bike build
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #210
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Great , thanks for clearing that up. Well I guess I'll get some ex250 carbs and figure out the air pod connection and the cables. How is the top end power? Going from the stock air box to K&N pods and upping the main gave my xt a big power rush at high RPM that the stock air box would not allow. Going from A 135 and a 130 main jet to 2 105s seems to be much leaner. They are both the same brand carb and the jet comparison should be apples to apples.