User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #16
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 219
Eh? bending my mind with geometry

Well a night spent in the shed with some tape measures and my lazer level and a bit of lateral thinking has me set for the top shock mount to be fabricated tomorrow as well as a new strearing stop and a stearing damper mount.

I have replicated the swing arm geometry of my YZ so that the rear end will operate as the cleaver little bastards originally intended it to, Hell I am not smart enough to redesign somthing like this.

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Laugh The Long weekend works on the bike

This is the melbourne cup weekend and we have four days off, so i had a full day to work on the bike today .

First up was the front end this was quite easy all I had to do was fit the actuator arm mount for the damper arm and the new steering stop as the one that was there broke off really easily when I was playing around so it had to be replaced.

The next step was the shock top mounts where there was a bit of cutting and grinding to make them identical and ensure the holes are centralised. Turns out the gap between the new plates are the same width as the shock top pivot so no need to machine any bushes.

I have just used a set of vice grips to hold the subframe in place.
I have to copied the mounting points from the same model that it came off in relation to the top shock (07 wr 450/250) I also stole the seat off the bike to be copied, so I can get all of the alignment.

The only thing I missed was the lower linkage mount I tacked it together and then proceeded to leave it at work on the welding bench! oh well, I will have to do it on tuesday

I am amazed the bike just seemed to fall together today so lets hope my good fortune continues through the rest of the build

My crazy bike build
Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #18
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 1,996
Coming together nicely
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Very nice Project.
Subscribed!
Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
this is golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman
The only thing I missed was the lower linkage mount I tacked it together and then proceeded to leave it at work on the welding bench! oh well, I will have to do it on tuesday

I am amazed the bike just seemed to fall together today so lets hope my good fortune continues through the rest of the build

damn, i wish i'd had your skills and equipment handy when i slapped a yz rear end onto my xt. would've made the whole thing go together a lot more cleanly.

however, i am very curious to see what you do for a single carb/intake manifold/hose to airbox solution. that ended up being the weak link in my project, and is still something that i wonder about fixing in those quiet sleepless hours in the middle of the night.

well, that, and the fact that i am a total hack...
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Have you looked or thought about the secondary snorkel issue your going to have from the Shock Resevoir?
I was looking at something similar for the XT350 and mating a YZ490 suspension to it.
I remember reading mothef's issues with his build and building a new snorkel.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Eek Air induction system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
damn, i wish i'd had your skills and equipment handy when i slapped a yz rear end onto my xt. would've made the whole thing go together a lot more cleanly.

however, i am very curious to see what you do for a single carb/intake manifold/hose to airbox solution. that ended up being the weak link in my project, and is still something that i wonder about fixing in those quiet sleepless hours in the middle of the night.

well, that, and the fact that i am a total hack...
MTOTHEF
here is what I am planning!
The manifold is just taped on with duct tape so it is protruding out in to the engine area a bit to much (just done this as a representaion). This manifold will be one of the last things I do because I has to wait untill the motor is in the frame. This is one of the reasons why I put the wr subframe on the tt frame. As the air box and air duct was premade so this made half of the job easier. I have poured over your build and I am trying to find a suitable solution to the lower linkage and the position of the bolt frame relationship I have an idea but it's a bit confusing to explain so keep your eyes peeled

This is a repesentation ony the carb is only supported by the rubber boot so it is drooping down a bit but you get the general idea as what is going on

My crazy bike build
Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

neat!

yeah, the lower link can be a pain, but you are at least going about it with a fair bit more forethought than we did. still, is the tt lower main frame about the same as the xt - as in, fuck all places to maneuver when it comes to placing the lower link? if so, i feel your pain. remember, if it all goes wrong down there, i can at least recommend spring rates to compensate for the leverage discrepancy.

as for the carb, is that an intake off a yamaha quad? if you can adapt some way of allowing the carb to mount into it on an angle, you should be golden. i was looking for one of those to play around with during my build, but came up empty handed. really interested to see how it all comes together for you.

by the way, that's a super nice way of dealing with the front end. takes care of the xt frame having a short headtube, bearing differences, steering stops, AND a place to mount a steering damper all in one pass. mighty nice!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

manifold options

The manifold is off a yamaha grizzly 600 quad

Grizzly 600 2-1intake manifold. part number: 4WV-13586-00-00 (superseeded by 4WV-13586-01-00

check this site out it looks a bit rough but its an idea and thats were we all start it from ideas we think we can improve on!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...b-doable-45252

My crazy bike build
Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #26
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Cry turns out ond mate gave up on single carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman
The manifold is off a yamaha grizzly 600 quad

Grizzly 600 2-1intake manifold. part number: 4WV-13586-00-00 (superseeded by 4WV-13586-01-00

check this site out it looks a bit rough but its an idea and thats were we all start it from ideas we think we can improve on!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...b-doable-45252
I was trawling around and I found this

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...e-mods-43008-8

Turns out the single carb got too hard for old mate not so sure about the k&n filter in the dirt, they have been attributed to a few engine blow ups here due to the drought conditions over the last few years (inadequate filterage)

Check out the duct work made of plastic??????

My crazy bike build

yamahaman screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 02:52 AM
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #27
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

ah yes, our azorean friend with many questions and imaginative capabilities unburdened at times by the constraints of reality. i was wondering how his progress had been going...

regarding carb placement, if i recall, the 2-1 manifold pushes the carb back a bit, and there will be some interesting space/fit issues to contend with there. another option you could consider would be trying to find/fit a shock with a remote reservoir, which would allow you to route boots around both sides of the shock if you ended up having to revert to the twin carb setup.

if i had the chance to do it all over again, i would probably try to wedge a ktm swingarm in there and go linkless with the shock offset to one side. crude, and not as good a suspension as a properly designed linkage, but a no-brainer with respect to the carb and airbox...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #28
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Talking what a productive long weekend

Well I managed to get the donor bike/engine running today after a new set of rings and valve stem seals so this made room on the bike stand for the project build.

So I have had some expert input from a couple of scottish/irish/italian friends of mine who's input has been invaluable. Some good ideas from these two nutbags. Managed to work out the linkage angles for the lower dogbone and I have a solution for the lower bolt removal but all I did was prepare for the linkage to be installed and prepared the tubing to fit the wr subframe

All I have to do is tack this tube in and make the lower sub frame mounting points and the lower linkage mounting points. Easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My crazy bike build

yamahaman screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 02:54 AM
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #29
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

aha...

i was all set to post how you might want to test fit the engine before you get all carried away with that placement, then i realized what you had done. nice scalloping out of the right side plate there! very clean, you'd hardly notice it wasn't stock.

crafty...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #30
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Talking no scalloping required

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
i was all set to post how you might want to test fit the engine before you get all carried away with that placement, then i realized what you had done. nice scalloping out of the right side plate there! very clean, you'd hardly notice it wasn't stock.

crafty...

When we (myself and two experts) put the bike on the work stand we noticed that the two frame rails are asymetrical the right side has more of a curve to it and it was not necassary to cut any thing from the frame this is how it was. I have managed to get the lower link into place (almost) it is only 5mm (3/16 in) in front of the original position. This is going to have little or no effect on the suspension travel all the forward position does is raise the frame off the ground by about 3mm (1/8 in). The linkage/swingarm and shock location relationship is identical to that of an 04 yz/wr which was the donor swing arm and linkage.

I have tested the suspension through full range of movements and all is good (so far) seems to be all ok

I have welded a piece of tube onto the frame (rather than change the subframe) so I can mount the subframe onto the frame un-modifyed this was done so that if I damage the subframe on my travels one can be purchased or shipped to my location and fitted straight up.

All that is required is to make the tags to mount the lower portion of the subframe and weld them on.

Please excuse the poor welding I was having problems with the mig at work it has a hard life and gets no maintenance so when I make the final brackets I will investigate the problem and give it a bit of maintenance.

My crazy bike build