User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
topazdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Utah's four wheel drive roads

I thought I had posted this already but didn't see it. Let me try it again...

I just bought a 2009 vstrom 1000. I'm really interested in getting into adventure riding and want to tour the parks and monuments of utah next summer. I'd like to try out some of the four wheel drive roads like "Hole in the Rocks Road" and others. Have any of you ridden this road or others in the area? Can a vstrom 1000 navigate these roads (with yourself as the rider)?

Thanks ahead of time,

topazdog
topazdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
theres a book written about all the 4 wheel drive roads through Utah and it covers level of difficulty, what there is to see along the routes as well as other pertinent advice. If you can get your hands on this book it would really benefit your planning. There is also one for Colorado. very good books.---- Rider skill.............----
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad...8233418&sr=1-1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Tony Huegel , the author of Utah Byways, is on this site. I think he goes by the name 'byways'. Or something very close to that.
He has an extensive series of Byways guidebooks.

Using 4WD guides for bike travel - and vice versa - doesn't always work well. What may be a difficult section of trail for one type of machine, isn't necessarly difficult for the other.

A 'V' notch might be a breeze for a 4-wheeled vehicle, but very dangerous for a big dual sport bike.
A section of ledges might pose real problems for a 4WD, but the 2' wide path on one left could a smooth highway surface for a moto. Etc...

Some guide books offer excellent descriptions of expected obstacles, with recommended lines.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdog
I thought I had posted this already but didn't see it. Let me try it again...

I just bought a 2009 vstrom 1000. I'm really interested in getting into adventure riding and want to tour the parks and monuments of utah next summer. I'd like to try out some of the four wheel drive roads like "Hole in the Rocks Road" and others. Have any of you ridden this road or others in the area? Can a vstrom 1000 navigate these roads (with yourself as the rider)?

Thanks ahead of time,

topazdog
I rode a few of the trails out there on my F650 single a few years ago.My wife was on her TW200. It was TOUGH going on some of them. My buddy and his wife were on their ATV's.My biggest problem was the 650's first gear was too tall and I coudn't ride as slow as I wanted or needed to. I ended up bouncing over things I would have ridden around. The toghest was "Chicken Corner" I think that's the name. With the high heat and struggling with the speed I gave up and turned around. The Vstrom would not be my bike of choice, but I'm old and short. There is very little traffic on some of them and if you crash it might be quite a while before some one comes along. I would want company. Just my .02
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
I just bough this

http://www.treknow.com/

I'm goning to try this for next years trip to Moab.

It's really nice program.

It has trails mapped and has rated them by difficulty and mileage etc.
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Using 4WD guides for bike travel - and vice versa - doesn't always work well.
Best advice in the thread.

The "Byways" book is useful if you're in a comfy 4WD. It's not wise to use it as a dualsporting guide. Least not in UT. At the very least the photos are misleading (all nice day photos on the most groomed sections of road). The author doesn't tell you those perfect conditions exist in very few spots and then only for about 3-4 weeks out of a year at best. You're suppose to read his disclaimers.

I've lost count of how many HDs, Stroms, GSes, etc have come back from Hole In The Rock road in the back of a local pickup truck. Same for other area roads... Smokey Mountain road, Skutumpah road to name a couple.

To answer your question, Topaz... YES a Strom can navigate these roads slowly and with a seasoned rider. Best with aired-down knobbies. Anticipate everything: Hellatious washboard, occasional sandy sections 2-4" deep and a quarter mile in length, water/flood washouts, etc.

Going alone? Have a backup plan for getting out. It's a long walk back and help doesn't always come the same day you break down. The local BLM guys would tell you having 2-3 days worth of food and water is smart.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
I've lost count of how many HDs, Stroms, GSes, etc have come back from Hole In The Rock road in the back of a local pickup truck. Same for other area roads... Smokey Mountain road, Skutumpah road to name a couple.
I've wanted to ride that road sometime.

What is it about Hole in the Rock Road that so many bikes have to be hauled out???

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Quote:

The "Byways" book is useful if you're in a comfy 4WD. It's not wise to use it as a dualsporting guide. Least not in UT. At the very least the photos are misleading (all nice day photos on the most groomed sections of road). The author doesn't tell you those perfect conditions exist in very few spots and then only for about 3-4 weeks out of a year at best. You're suppose to read his disclaimers.

To answer your question, Topaz... YES a Strom can navigate these roads slowly and with a seasoned rider. Best with aired-down knobbies. Anticipate everything: Hellatious washboard, occasional sandy sections 2-4" deep and a quarter mile in length, water/flood washouts, etc.

Going alone? Have a backup plan for getting out. It's a long walk back and help doesn't always come the same day you break down. The local BLM guys would tell you having 2-3 days worth of food and water is smart.
Thanks for the good advise.
Do you have any good suggestions on any roads/trails you really enjoyed that that you'd like to share?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Burr Trail is fun... It runs from Boulder Utah to Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell...

Notom-Bullfrog Road is scenic, running through The Waterpocket Fold, but can be pretty sandy...

Map of the area: http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/CAREmap1.pdf
IBA #24873
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
Burr Trail is fun... It runs from Boulder Utah to Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell...

Notom-Bullfrog Road is scenic, running through The Waterpocket Fold, but can be pretty sandy...

Map of the area: http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/CAREmap1.pdf
Rocker59! Thanks for the info!

Really appreciate it.

We will try it in Late July/Aug 2011!

MJ
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoweels_mj
Rocker59! Thanks for the info!

Really appreciate it.

We will try it in Late July/Aug 2011!

MJ
That's a pretty cool area...

Check out this old ride report of mine for more info on SE Utah: 2005 UT/CO/NM Ride Report
IBA #24873
Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
If you don't have experience riding a big bike in sand, things could turn out nasty for you. I struggled through and made it but would NOT do that again alone. It can go from shallow to deep in a hurry at the worst possible time, like going downhill into a corner, where you can't just pin it to lift the front tire. Lesson learned with a dose of fight or flight adrenaline rush.

edit: Here's my Moab RR from 2008. Skip to post #54 on page 4 to learn about which dirt roads are easy or not on a beasty bike.
http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/sh...highlight=moab
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 12:41 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
If you don't have experience riding a big bike in sand, things could turn out nasty for you. I struggled through and made it but would NOT do that again alone. It can go from shallow to deep in a hurry at the worst possible time, like going downhill into a corner, where you can't just pin it to lift the front tire. Lesson learned with a dose of fight or flight adrenaline rush.
Thanks for that!
Yes, not that experienced in the sand.
I took my wife with me last weeked and found some mini trails close to the Railroad tracks by our house
That rock they use around the tracks was nasty!
I was following the trail to where it met that stuff. Was 2 inch sized rock and was squishyer than heck! The wife was chattering like a squirrel on the back of the bike, we are going to fall!! We are going to fall!!
We made it just fine for the 200 feet or so in that stuff.
LOL

2009 BMW1200gs ADV

"I have learned the most by just trying to learn as much as I can before I partake in an endevor and then just do it" There is no greater teacher than experience.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
massey's book atleast gives rating on the trails so pick an easy one if that's the concern...
it's the best thing out there until we release our dual-sport maps which will show if it's a big gs road.

it's the rider at fault not the book or the bike.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote