Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
What is it about Hole in the Rock Road that so many bikes have to be hauled out???

Slideouts on loose gravel leaving a rider with broken bones or other injuries. They can't ride the bike back to civilization because they're too busy trying to get medical attention, usually over 120 miles away if it's serious. Local recovery guys get the bike.

According to local law enforcement and towing guys the primary cause of slideouts is too much speed. Most accidents occur within the first 10 miles... an area that is maintained under BLM contract to accommodate tourists in 2WDs heading to Devil's Garden at mile 18.

Check the pic below. Looks easy, eh? It's graded, wide and ready for Devil's Garden traffic. It gets so much traffic that washboard is the norm. Then -and this is the bike killer- they dump jelly bean sized gravel on it twice a year. A lot of it. So, it becomes beans-on-washboard.

A rider heads out for a 108 mile roundtrip, builds confidence and speed in the first few miles and suddenly dumps when hitting a thick patch of jelly beans in what looks like a harmless corner or sweep. Done deal.

2nd most common cause for haul outs: Flats/bent rims.

After getting medical attention, riders often find their bikes parked behind a gas station in Escalante or at The Desert Doctor's house.
Meet Desert Doc. Heck of nice guy.
He isn't a real doctor. He helps stranded or ill prepared motorcyclists.

On the bright side-
At mile 19 the road narrows signficantly and there is very little traffic until you reach the end. A mix of light sand, hard rock and maybe butter patches (mud) if it rained recently.

Obstacle-
This is near mile 49. The steepness and depth of the hill and rut doesn't come through in the picture. Best to walk it first. If you make it past this you'll be fine until the end at mile 54.

Of course coming back down is always fun.

Getting help-
There is a good chance you'll be completely alone out there if it's a weekday. If you don't use a SPOT messenger, the BLM office in Escalante will be really happy if you check in and out with them. Second one down this page. They'll have a daily road conditons report and real-time weather. Very accurate.

FWIW-
I've done the road on a 12GS, KLR and DRZ-400. The DRZ is preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoweels_mj
Do you have any good suggestions on any roads/trails you really enjoyed that that you'd like to share?
Sure do. Check back on Sunday. I have to find the pics.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,475
Thanks TS !!!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
Slideouts on loose gravel leaving a rider with broken bones or other injuries. They can't ride the bike back to civilization because they're too busy trying to get medical attention, usually over 120 miles away if it's serious. Local recovery guys get the bike.

According to local law enforcement and towing guys the primary cause of slideouts is too much speed. Most accidents occur within the first 10 miles... an area that is maintained under BLM contract to accommodate tourists in 2WDs heading to Devil's Garden at mile 18.

Check the pic below. Looks easy, eh? It's graded, wide and ready for Devil's Garden traffic. It gets so much traffic that washboard is the norm. Then -and this is the bike killer- they dump jelly bean sized gravel on it twice a year. A lot of it. So, it becomes beans-on-washboard.

A rider heads out for a 108 mile roundtrip, builds confidence and speed in the first few miles and suddenly dumps when hitting a thick patch of jelly beans in what looks like a harmless corner or sweep. Done deal.

2nd most common cause for haul outs: Flats/bent rims.

After getting medical attention, riders often find their bikes parked behind a gas station in Escalante or at The Desert Doctor's house.
Meet Desert Doc. Heck of nice guy.
He isn't a real doctor. He helps stranded or ill prepared motorcyclists.

On the bright side-
At mile 19 the road narrows signficantly and there is very little traffic until you reach the end. A mix of light sand, hard rock and maybe butter patches (mud) if it rained recently.

Obstacle-
This is near mile 49. The steepness and depth of the hill and rut doesn't come through in the picture. Best to walk it first. If you make it past this you'll be fine until the end at mile 54.

Of course coming back down is always fun.

Getting help-
There is a good chance you'll be completely alone out there if it's a weekday. If you don't use a SPOT messenger, the BLM office in Escalante will be really happy if you check in and out with them. Second one down this page. They'll have a daily road conditons report and real-time weather. Very accurate.

FWIW-
I've done the road on a 12GS, KLR and DRZ-400. The DRZ is preferred.

Sure do. Check back on Sunday. I have to find the pics.
Thanks for all the advise! Greatly appreciate it.
Is there any link on the ADVrider site that might be of help when traveling in those areas. Safety measures etc. Safety plan etc.
What's a Spot Messenger?

2009 BMW1200gs ADV

"I have learned the most by just trying to learn as much as I can before I partake in an endevor and then just do it" There is no greater teacher than experience.
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
TwoShots
Vagabond

Quote:
Is there any link on the ADVrider site that might be of help when traveling in those areas. Safety measures etc. Safety plan etc.
Kind of scattered. Search the Trip Planning forums with patience and you'll find bits n' pieces. Good place to start.

Quote:
What's a Spot Messenger?
A true life saver...

Company site.
ADV SPOT threads.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
Slideouts on loose gravel...
Thanks for posting all of that. Quite useful.

As mentioned earlier, Burr Trail looks good. I've driven it in the Jeep and would love to ride it on the bike.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
TwoShots
Vagabond

Quote:
Do you have any good suggestions on any roads/trails you really enjoyed that you'd like to share?
Seems most riders are content to ride Burr Trail road from Boulder to Lake Powell. That's cool, but one scenic side route off the Burr is often missed: Muley Twist Canyon. It's not a road. With the exception of a couple spots, it is a well packed dry wash leading to a trail head.

Length: 3 miles one way.
Scenery: in-your-face/up close and personal.
Escape route: Easy to turn around if you get the jitters at any point.

Get your bearing on this excerpt from Rocker's map link.

From Boulder, ride 33.1 miles to this sign on your left.
It's a small sign. Easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

Once past that dusty entry, you'll skirt around a mud hole and arrive at this parking/sign-in spot about 1/10th of a mile in.

Dismount and look around the corner, because...

Opposite/alternative view of hill looking back.

That is the only show stopper obstacle (when sandy). If you feel good about the hill and if there is little to no sand (like in the pics), it's likely you will find the rest rideable. There are no other hills or climbs. It's essentially a two-trackish route with cool rock walls and rock ledge overhangs. My wife calls it a "cozy" route.

Recent photos...

and...

and...

and...

At the end there is a distinct parking area and trail head. Grab your camelbak. Hike 1/4 mile on an easy, well marked trail for the money shot - a breathtaking view of Strike Valley from the top of Waterpocket Fold.
You can just about see the Notom-Bullfrog road below, southbound.

TwoShots screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 10:26 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
Thumb Thanks Twoshots!

Twoshots, thanks for all the great stuff!

Looked at Spot transmitters this weekend.

Wife wants to buy it for my bday in Dec.

I have been poking around and reading a good deal on ADV forum.

Lots of great advise and ideas etc.

Lots of good information I would would haev missed on my own.

Thanks again!

2009 BMW1200gs ADV

"I have learned the most by just trying to learn as much as I can before I partake in an endevor and then just do it" There is no greater teacher than experience.
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
TwoShots
Vagabond

Thumb

Quote:
Looked at Spot transmitters this weekend.

Wife wants to buy it for my bday in Dec.
Sweet.

Two weeks ago a guy on a KLR dumped not far off road from the Burr. Broke his wrist and a collar bone. Keyed his 911 button and a couple hours later the local sheriff got him out. With the SPOT he avoided a 15 mile walk + 1 night sleeping in the dirt. And maybe dinner for a mountain lion.

They do work.