User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Kurt V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Getting my first airhead Friday!

Thanks to the great information I got from you guys, I passed on a questionable 75/6 and got steered towards a 75/6 owned by a member of this board. Friday I hook up the trailer and drive 542 miles from Jefferson City, MO to Roberts, WI to pick it up. The seller has been a super guy about the deal including taking and emailing me 48 pictures showing every detail of the bike. He also gave me the phone number and name of the mechanic who has done the mechanical work on the bike. He is also a member of this board!

A few pictures below. I am sooooo excited!

Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 974
That looks like a great bike, you are going to be super pleased with the balance and the power. I have ridden an equal number of R90/s (4) to the 75/6 and everyone wants the bigger 90s, but the 75 is so well balanced. I loved those bikes, better than the 90s. Thats my opinion. Helps to have a nice and knowledgeable previous owner...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Nice scooter!

I've been a huge fan of the /6 series for a long time and the R75 is an outstanding bike. Just enough power, smooth, easy on parts and long-lasting. Just like a good woman.

Once given the choice, I went for the 900cc bike because I like the mid-range rush but when I owned an R75 I loved it. I'm always changing things on my bikes but except for swapping to dual disks and mounting some decent shocks, I'd leave that little bike just like as it stands. Thats a classic!

Enjoy!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 10:03 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Kurt V,
What a beauty. The PO must have really loved that bike because he took wonderful care of it.
It looks like living room quality.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
..and there's a certain insane-percussionist-fellow airhead fanatic with a black R75/6 (among others) just 60 miles south of you.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
..and there's a certain insane-percussionist-fellow airhead fanatic with a black R75/6 (among others) just 60 miles south of you.

Uh oh....

The Missouri Airhead Mafia has a new member.

Those damn Hell-Riding Farmers are takin over!!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
Overall it looks like a well cared for bike. That isn't the original paint is it?

My advise is to lower the bottom of the fork gaiters down to where they are suppose to be. When you are on the bike with some sag, they bunch up like that and look horrible. They also restrict fork travel like that by quite a bit by bunching up.

I would put some electrical shrink wrap tubing around the speedo cable and speedo cable boot and shrink it down tight. It really helps to keep water out out the tranny. IMO, water in the tranny is a leading cause of trouble.

Ride off stands? Some people love them. I hate them. I am not the only one! I keep a square of 1/2 inch thick wood around to put under the stand while I work on bikes thusly equipped. It's a back breaker but it can be done. If you are much of a rider at all, take it off before that road hook digs in big time and high sides you into low orbit! They are DANGEROUS!

I recommend some Koni's or Ikons. Those stock shocks really are junk. It will make a HUGE difference.

I highly recommend the saddle bag mount accessory that clamps onto the bottom rear of each loop and goes behind the lower rear fender between the two. The mounts are MUCH more rigid and crack way less often thusly equipped.

Just an inch longer fender extension will keep water off your back.

Occasionally reach down and try to twist the ends of your mufflers. If you can twist one, go around and tighten the clamp. They are much less likely to crack around the hanger mount IF the clamp is kept tight. Save yourself mucho money!

Good luck! I think you made the right decision!

I forgot to add to watch those battery covers. They are easy to drop or loose during a ride! Ask around for the best tips to keep them secure.

My dad use to let me ride his brand new R75/6 for hours at a time when I was 14 and 15 years old. Legal age in Missouri back then was 16 as it is now. Then he noticed I was scraping rubber off the bottom of the pegs. That was the end of that. I never rode it when I HAD a license. Oh well, I was too busy dirt biking till I retired at the age of 19 and got my own first beemer.

supershaft screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 11:33 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
That's a nice clean ride and looks great with the S fairing! I'm sure that you will get years of enjoyment out of it and that it will maintain it's value.
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
110Mike
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 98
Purty!

Ooh! She`s a purty one!

Congratulations and enjoy!

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
yesssss! congrats with the purchase

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #11
penth2o
1975 R75/6

Oddometer: 77
Beautiful 75/6

Very nice bike Kurt,
What year is that? Looks like he kept most of it original and stock.

I just got a 1975 75/6 this summer and am looking for pics of a stock original bike to compare so I can get mine back to stock.
You wouldn't happen to have a photobucket site that I could look at those close up detailed pics do you???

Beautiful bike you've got Kurt.
Here is a pic of mine. Feel free to rip on it and tell me what is wrong with it and what is not original. I'm a newbie to this.

For example: am I suppose to have the /6 badge on the back of the seat?
I know I need fork covers and the seat cover is not original but that's the little anal things that I'm trying to find out and correct.

penth2o screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 03:56 AM
penth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Kurt V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude

Hello there, while I was lurking I kept up with your thread on your bikes! I am sure we will meet up on the road some time as most of the really good riding is south of Jefferson City.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Kurt V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the comments! I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions for all of you once I get the bike home. I looked at a ton of bikes on the internet, but this one really stood out from all the others.

At first I thought I wanted an R90, but the more I learned about these bikes I decided the R75 was what I wanted. The motor is very understressed and should run just fine for long distances. Add to that that I am not packing on that much weight (I only weigh 160) so it should be plenty peppy.

If I feel the need to go faster through the curves I can just jump on my other bike.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
Kurt V OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penth2o
Very nice bike Kurt,
What year is that? Looks like he kept most of it original and stock.

I just got a 1975 75/6 this summer and am looking for pics of a stock original bike to compare so I can get mine back to stock.
You wouldn't happen to have a photobucket site that I could look at those close up detailed pics do you???
Here is the link to all the pictures: http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab16/tschaefer_photo/1976%20BMW%20R75%206/
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft
My advise is to lower the bottom of the fork gaiters down to where they are suppose to be. When you are on the bike with some sag, they bunch up like that and look horrible. They also restrict fork travel like that by quite a bit by bunching up.
If they're 13 rib, sure. 11 rib, don't bother. Keep 'em up high.

Quote:
If you are much of a rider at all, take it off before that road hook digs in big time and high sides you into low orbit! They are DANGEROUS!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote