Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #16
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V
At first I thought I wanted an R90, but the more I learned about these bikes I decided the R75 was what I wanted. The motor is very understressed and should run just fine for long distances. Add to that that I am not packing on that much weight (I only weigh 160) so it should be plenty peppy.

If I feel the need to go faster through the curves I can just jump on my other bike.
In Missouri, you'll be fine with the R75. The only time you will notice a severe lack of power is when you haven't done a tune-up in a while and you start riding in the mountains in California.. like I did.

It loves cruisin' at 75-80mph, and will keep going if you ask it to.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 06:58 AM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Wow- congrats man, that is a great bike! It would take me about 3 seconds to pull the trigger on a rig like that.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I am glad you chose that one! And that you left the other one for dead. It really concerned me about all the /7 stuff on it and the owners lack of knowledge of why it was there.....again great choice and long live the Airhead!

kevin
Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
If they're 13 rib, sure. 11 rib, don't bother. Keep 'em up high.

Leave them up high? Why? BMW installed the gaiters pulled down for the same reasons regardless of the number of ribs. IMO, 11 rib gaiters look too bunched up with some sag on the bike as well.

You don't think ride off stands are road hooks? Have you seen one in the up position? Did you notice how that very solidly constructed stand sticks WAY out past the headers on both sides? Have you ever wondered why most curb feelers are on springs or at least on FOLDING footpegs? Did you see the chrome ground off the stand on that bike in question? Do you think you can grind a corner off one of those stands and not have the situation at the very least cause some serious concern? If you can't at least see where I am coming from, don't think others can't.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft
Leave them up high? Why? BMW installed the gaiters pulled down for the same reasons regardless of the number of ribs. IMO, 11 rib gaiters look too bunched up with some sag on the bike as well.

You don't think ride off stands are road hooks? Have you seen one in the up position? Did you notice how that very solidly constructed stand sticks WAY out past the headers on both sides? Have you ever wondered why most curb feelers are on springs or at least on FOLDING footpegs? Did you see the chrome ground off the stand on that bike in question? Do you think you can grind a corner off one of those stands and not have the situation at the very least cause some serious concern? If you can't at least see where I am coming from, don't think others can't.
Too many questions, won't answer.....
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

BTW my stock stand on my R100RS is a ride off, and it never touches the pavement....that I know of.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
supershaft
because I can

BMW's never came stock with ride off stands. Where did you get that idea?

You never drag your ride off? Like I said to Kurt V, IF you are much of a rider! The one on Kurt V's bike has been drug and drug pretty good from the looks of it. It IS dangerous dragging those road hooks!

Too many questions? I can see that too.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Leave them up high?
Yes.

Quote:
Why?
Reduce tension-induced tearing.

Quote:
You don't think ride off stands are road hooks?
Not really.

Quote:
Have you seen one in the up position?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you notice how that very solidly constructed stand sticks WAY out past the headers on both sides?
Eh.

Quote:
Have you ever wondered why most curb feelers are on springs or at least on FOLDING footpegs?
Huh?

Quote:
Did you see the chrome ground off the stand on that bike in question?
No.

Quote:
Do you think you can grind a corner off one of those stands and not have the situation at the very least cause some serious concern?
With a bench grinder, no problem.

Quote:
You never drag your ride off? Like I said to Kurt V, IF you are much of a rider!
The sides of my boots drag first. Your argument could be applied to anything, really.

Quote:
Too many questions?
Yes.

Disclaimer: I have a Reynolds Ride-Off stand on my R75. Not by choice, but it doesn't bother me, so I've left it on there.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

[quote=supershaft]BMW's never came stock with ride off stands. Where did you get that idea?

Well....I ride off of both the one on the R100RS and the R60/5 so if they aren't ride off they work as such....I leave the canyon serious carving to people with more modern bikes and if I want, I can borrow my 2005 GSXR1000 back for a ripping ride or track day.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
supershaft
because I can

To reduce tension induced tearing? Some people set there bike up to sit there. Some need to set it up to ride. To some there isn't much difference hence my qualifier of being much of a rider. Don't put all of us in your shoes. Besides, with a ride off stand, you don't even have THAT reason to set up the gaiters incorrectly because the forks are never fully extended and there is never any stress on even properly installed gaiters.

I think your comments on the ride off stand pretty much point out my position to most readers. No reason to go any further there except to advise that you get your feet out of the way while you are cornering if your feet are dragging before your ride off stand. Do you ride with clown shoes on? Remeber that real riders usually drag their boots with their balls of their feet on the pegs and tucked in tight on the bike. They don't ride with there feet spread out like some curb feelers on a lowrider.

Sniper X, so basically you are saying you don't know what you are talking about too? Do you even know for sure what you have?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V
That is one nice looking ride.

Congrats mang.

I think you'll like the aftermarket centerstand.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Sniper X, so basically you are saying you don't know what you are talking about too ? Do you even know for sure what you have?[/quote]If you re-read what I said, you can answer that for yourself. I have no idea if my R100RS stand is stock, but it is a ride off stand, so is my R60/5. At least they allow me to ride off with my feet on the pegs and when the bike is on the stand, both tyres touch the ground. Sooo. I only know from my own bikes. But tell me, do both my bikes have ride off stands?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #28
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Sniper X, so basically you are saying you don't know what you are talking about too ? Do you even know for sure what you have?
If you re-read what I said, you can answer that for yourself. I have no idea if my R100RS stand is stock, but it is a ride off stand, so is my R60/5. At least they allow me to ride off with my feet on the pegs and when the bike is on the stand, both tyres touch the ground. Sooo. I only know from my own bikes. But tell me, do both my bikes have ride off stands?[/quote]

Well, it could be a ride off stand or it could be a clapped out stock stand. Some people ride off what looks to be a pretty decent stock stand. Do they look like the center stands in sales brochures or like the one in this thread's photos? There's the answer.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #29
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Some need to set it up to ride. To some there isn't much difference hence my qualifier of being much of a rider. Don't put all of us in your shoes.
I wish I was a real rider like you.

Quote:
Do you ride with clown shoes on? Remeber that real riders usually drag their boots with their balls of their feet on the pegs and tucked in tight on the bike.
I wish I was a real rider like you.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 05:36 PM
Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #30
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,192
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr75-6.htm

lotsa pix 'n info there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penth2o
I just got a 1975 75/6 this summer and am looking for pics of a stock original bike to compare so I can get mine back to stock.
You wouldn't happen to have a photobucket site that I could look at those close up detailed pics do you???
.... Feel free to rip on it and tell me what is wrong with it and what is not original. I'm a newbie to this.

For example: am I suppose to have the /6 badge on the back of the seat?
I know I need fork covers and the seat cover is not original but that's the little anal things that I'm trying to find out and correct.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote