Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #136
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Well I guess that is why I like my KTMs They are orange so its hard to say 'I didnt see it'. Also, I found in the woods in Ocala NF that once you walk more than 15 ft from the bike you cant see it in dense woods, orange or not. Guess ill stay the way it is. I happen to like orange anyhow. But seriously you did alot of work; much patience you have
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #137
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
I like it.

Now where is the SAW going to mount? Or are you going with a Mk19 mod 3?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #138
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
.. kewl ..

.. neat read .. helluva project .. I follow your stuff over at the KLR World site too .. you have a wonderful attention to detail and will update your info/projects as well .. always appreciated that .. thanks man ..

.. and fwiw (and I really wish I still had the article or a link to it) a few years ago one of the bike/riding/touring mags did a little study about driver recognition that you might find interesting .. they used three bikes .. one guy dressed in all Hi-Viz .. one guy dressed in all black leather .. and one guy dressed like a pseudo-cop in a khaki (iirc) outfit and cop-style helmet .. you can probably guess what happened .. all three road through the same traffic and the Hi-Viz and black leather guys were continually not seen and had to use avoidance maneuvers continually .. the pseudo-cop rider though, never once got cut off, never tailgated, given a wide berth .. he was seen and respected ..

.. the point of the article was that you are seen, just not consciously recognized by cagers .. they see you, but it never enters their conscious minds to respond to you .. unless there is a sub-conscious "shock" .. like, say, "Oh Shite, a Cop!!" .. even the Hi-Viz gear was virtually useless ..

.. it was a great read .. wish I still had the issue so I could reference it .. maybe one of you guys/gals remembers the article?? .. if so please link it ..

.. all that aside .. your bike looks tough as nails man .. nicely done .. KLR or not I could care less .. it looks tough ..

.. and yes .. I love my KLR too .. lol .. though I'm going for a more mil-spec look and keeping the toxic-lime color to contrast .. though I may eventually go for a desert tan or OD green flat color ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #139
Kevinhooa
Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer: 420
That is a badass looking project. Some of the parts I would have done without the camo work like the seat, the break line, or the blinker wires, ect..., but hey, it's your project and I think it came out awesome. Another thought for that seat since the black just doesn't go well is maybe a tan vinyl instead of the black?

I like that spay paint stencil idea. I had no idea they even did a kit like that. However it did look like a lot of work though and I'm sure touchups would be a bitch. I have some bedliner parts on my KLR and it holds up great. Now if they made camo colors in the bedliner that would be a whole 'nother option.

Great writeup too.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #140
D.Haar
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hmmm...

I must say i am impressed by the determination and the overall effect. But...and here is the big BUT.

First let me say i do vehicle wraps all the time, and you were headed down the right path ordering the 3M vinyl with the printed pattern on it to begin with. I understand you didnt like the color or scheme of the pattern they had. So, the obvious solution is to go to a place that does vehicle wraps and have them custom print the vinyl for you to your specs on color and pattern. My fears for the fabric+carpet tape are that a couple years from now you are going to have a bike covered in dripping sticky goop as the tape degrades are gets to hot.

Vinyl wont do that. 3M control tack vinyl lasts 10years outdoors, and if you get it laminated with a matte cast lamination the colors shouldnt fade much either over the years. Also the vinyl conforms to curves easily with the application of a bit of heat, and you should be able to do an entire bike without a wrinkle with just a bit of practice. Look at this companies motorcycle wrap http://www.blog.powersportswraps.com...ycle-camo-wrap gorgeous and will last for years (i am not affiliated with them in anyway).

My guess, depending on the bike and what areas you want the wrap, you could have gotten away with maybe 12'x4' of printed material for the tank, fairing pieces, fenders, paniers and then used the scrap to do all the rest of your little parts.

Dont get me wrong here, i am not bashing on this at all, i love the look, but i am saying there is a better way to do it for anyone else that is looking to do it.
D.Haar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #141
co-steve
Den00b'ed

Oddometer: 44
Dear god why?

Steve
co-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #142
crash50
Idaho Back Country

Oddometer: 191
Nice job

I think the camo job and the attention to detail was great. I read the whole article and the owner did real great job with his information and detail./
ACU just isn't my color.
Now if it was Multi-cam or ATACS, I would be all over it.
I have a 2006 Red KLR that now has a black IMS tank on it. It also had Wolfman waterproof luggage on it which makes it more Black than Red.
I would like to change the front fender to a black on, just for off-set contrast, Black-Red/Black-Red, etc.

I painted my XR-500 in desert/forest camoflauge one time while living in Nevada. Went Mule deer hunting in a remote area and then took a 5 hour hike. Could not find the bike for a full day, that was pre-GPS days.
With two of us looking with binos, it took a while to spot it and when we did, the damn thing was only a hundred yards away in tall sagebrush.
We felt pretty stupid.
We had to result to following the tracks into the canyon to find it.
But, to hide the bike, it really worked. Just a bit too well.

2006 KLR650
2006 DL1000
crash50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #143
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,498
Nedd new treads?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #144
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,862
just found this thread,are you f"ing mad or what what a waste

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #145
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
you are gifted but why not Hydrographing?

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #146
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Is OP still alive?
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #147
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Eek Vest?

whats the point in the day glow vest?
hook0924 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #148
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
Is OP still alive?
Well, he threw something out there that he liked... and following the true ADV code it was summarily dismissed and ridiculed by all those who didn't own or desire to own, the EXACT same thing. So he probably gave up on the place and headed for someplace more open-minded.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #149
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
I think he's got mad skills, patience and imagination. The end result may not be appreciated by everyone, but the guy got a one of kind bike out of the deal. He knows every bolt, every fitting.

I liked it.

Screw off haters!

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #150
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,447
Funny that people ragged on this guy ... And I bet everyone rode a bike that looked exactly like every other bike of that model . Good for him for doing what he wanted and liked , no shame in that . I worked with a guy that bought some tacky flame stickers from Walmart and placed them on his we Harley , thought it was the cats ass . Who cares , he liked it and rode the piss out of it