Going where no man has gone before...
You certainly proved it could be done.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 AM   #62
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I like an enjoy the effort.

Half the people inhere shouldnt be on the road when they arent able to spot a bike on the road because its panted

I think it will drag a lot of attention, making it easier for people to see.

Each to his own, just dont get why it seems to be a sport to be a jerk, and dissin' other peoples work.....From behind the ol' screen.

How much have you into this project?
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #63
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
My first thought when I get on any bike is safety. How safe do you feel when you're on that? How are you making sure you are more visible than others? It's hard enough to get cages to pick us out in the crowd when changing lanes, turning, coming to a stop or pulling out into traffic - why make it more-so?

The paint, steel, chrome on a bike.... I take advantage of it because it'll reflect off the sun or car lights and make me more visible. Those nice auxiliary lights you have in front look great and give YOU an advantage - but what about grandma on her way home that thinks you're a bush and plows into the back of you?

And that's the important aspect. What about when it comes to selling? Have you begun to think about resale value yet? It's not like you'll be able to just peel all that off and be ready for the next owner to take over. And you've really narrowed your perspective buyer down to a very small group....

I think you did yourself a disservice.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #64
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I've seen cages not seeing people on bright colored bikes, where the driver had yellow west on. If the car-drivers dont look, they dont see, simple as that.

Bying a bike isnt logical, I wouldn't be happy at all if all my thoughs went on and on about resale value, instead of me being on the bike I like and enjoy.

Dont make things worse than they are.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #65
gunny_usmc
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 396
ya know .... it amazes me how some people are either so ignorant or jealous that they have to trash talk someone elses effort to customize a bike to be their own, to reflect their personal tastes at being different. I applaud the effort. Yeah there are a few wrinkles here and there but who cares ..... it is what it is ..... his ride. If he is happy with it, well that's all that matters.

excellent effort and effect !
1978 RD 400
" I'm flat out like a lizard drinking "
gunny_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #66
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
I've seen cages not seeing people on bright colored bikes, where the driver had yellow west on. If the car-drivers dont look, they dont see, simple as that.
All the more reason to be as visible as you can.

Quote:
Bying a bike isnt logical, I wouldn't be happy at all if all my thoughs went on and on about resale value, instead of me being on the bike I like and enjoy.
Any time you modify something, it's always a good idea to remember you may want to sell it later and how whatever you're going do to it will affect that.

Quote:
Dont make things worse than they are.
If things are already worse, then my comments shouldn't matter. It's only my opinion....

VelvtRide screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 05:51 PM
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #67
mark32725
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
In my opinion, it wont be any harder to see coming down the road than a black bike, and since you added the aux lights I think it will be more noticable than the bike was stock when coming down the road. Maybe more dangerous from the side but thats it....

I think its cool that you went all the way on it, like aot of people said, its not something I would do, but I can appreciate the effort that you put into it. I would definately stop to check it out if I saw something like that parked somehwere...

02 DRZ400s
2011 KTM 450 xcw Six Days tagged
mark32725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #68
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32725
In my opinion, it wont be any harder to see coming down the road than a black bike, and since you added the aux lights I think it will be more noticable than the bike was stock when coming down the road. Maybe more dangerous from the side but thats it....

I think its cool that you went all the way on it, like aot of people said, its not something I would do, but I can appreciate the effort that you put into it. I would definately stop to check it out if I saw something like that parked somehwere...
Here are a couple additional shots. I ran an errand today and stopped along the way trying to show various backgrounds. The total cost of the project was ~$150 or so. The largest expenditure happened to the double sided carpet tape. I was not sure how it was to turn out when finished, but I'm very happy with the results. BTW, the digital camo cloth can be removed, so that part of the project is reversible, if desired.

Grass and concrete background

asphalt and brick front view

asphalt and brick side view

asphalt and brick distance side view

asphalt

side view asphalt in background

rear view

front offset view

rear offset view
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #69
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Take a few pictures of the bike in distance.

30 ft
60 ft
100 ft
150 ft
300 ft
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #70
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Take a few pictures of the bike in distance.

30 ft
60 ft
100 ft
150 ft
300 ft

Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #71
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I don't see anything in those pictures. Could somebody point out to me where the motorcycle is?

Seriously though, in shots like this one the bike really does disappear. Focus your vision on the frame of your monitor and see if you can spot the motorcycle without looking down. I can see tires, but the camo does an excellent job of breaking up the motorcycle's form. The boat, tucked away in the garage, is highly visible by comparison.

Try the same thing here:

The trouble is, people rely heavily on their peripheral vision when scanning the road.

A+ on your processes though.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #72
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_usmc
ya know .... it amazes me how some people are either so ignorant or jealous that they have to trash talk someone elses effort to customize a bike to be their own, to reflect their personal tastes at being different. I applaud the effort. Yeah there are a few wrinkles here and there but who cares ..... it is what it is ..... his ride. If he is happy with it, well that's all that matters.

So if someone has contrary opinion they're ignorant and/or jealous?

OP's basically saying: look what I did. It's only natural that some will love it, and some will hate it. It's neither ignorance nor jealousy to express an opinion.

Myself, I don't care for the look. But that's OK, cause I don't own it, ride it, nor park it in my garage. If the OP's happy, then everything is as it should be.

I think VR made some valid points RE: safety. Seeing that bike parked against the brick wall really shows how much it can blend in. On the plus side, stealth camping just got a whole lot easier.

Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #73
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_usmc

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #74
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm4755
Here are a couple additional shots. I ran an errand today and stopped along the way trying to show various backgrounds. The total cost of the project was ~$150 or so. The largest expenditure happened to the double sided carpet tape. I was not sure how it was to turn out when finished, but I'm very happy with the results. BTW, the digital camo cloth can be removed, so that part of the project is reversible, if desired.

Keithm

Looks good

Are you going to post some pics out in the woods?
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #75
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,728
Seems to really blend in with the background. That's a good pattern for camo. Curious why you did it? I could see that from far away your bike would be hard to find, maybe you were thinking of some stealth camping or something?
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote