Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #76
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Take a few pictures of the bike in distance.

30 ft
60 ft
100 ft
150 ft
300 ft
I'll take and post a few shots from afar, weather by next weekend.
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #77
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX
Seems to really blend in with the background. That's a good pattern for camo. Curious why you did it? I could see that from far away your bike would be hard to find, maybe you were thinking of some stealth camping or something?
It's really not that invisible in real life, a picture does not allow the depth of the bike's parts to show. I believe the pictures are distorting the camouflage's ability for the bike to blend into it's surrounding. I nor none of the folks who have seen it in real life to have commented on it's visibility issue.
My intent a the start of the project was to develop a one of a kind "desert rat" type KLR. I thought it was a good idea also to document the project for the benefit of the riding community.
Keithm
Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #78
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 793
I appreciate the effort. Your write-ups are always very methodical and helpful.

I think the bike looks good.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #79
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,513
this took 30 seconds to find....

http://www.blog.powersportswraps.com...otorcycle-camo
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #80
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat

i guess my first instinct of laughter was that you used fabric.

i could care less if it's safe, visible, "camo", whatever.

dude, you covered the footpegs with fabric. WTF.

do you like slipping off your footpegs?

i see you live in Washington State. i grew up there and i know how much it rains and how muddy a dual sport will get 10 months out of the year, how's the fabric gonna hold up this winter?

as the above quote, there are camo wraps. that are waterproof. and don't add 50 or more pounds to an already HEAVY bike.

but i have to thank you for the humor.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #81
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
eep.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #82
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,045
Very nice writeup and pics.....and I applaud the effort. But I would never do that to one of my bikes.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #83
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_usmc
ya know .... it amazes me how some people are either so ignorant or jealous that they have to trash talk someone elses effort to customize a bike to be their own, to reflect their personal tastes at being different.
I think most of the replies here have been about safety. I know myself I love unique, and I have to disagree with her on that one. Some people have the $ to ignore reseale value.

I don't think ignorance or jealousy is the issue, most of this has not been trashtalk, it's been serious comments on the safety of the bike.

Also if you put something on a public forum (especially this site ) you be prepared for various input or don't post. That's how it works here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
I've seen cages not seeing people on bright colored bikes, where the driver had yellow west on. If the car-drivers dont look, they dont see, simple as that.
exactly so why push your luck????? I've had cars in traffic look right at me and come at me! Cagers are ignorant. It's not that he looks like a bush it's that his pattern is broken, (and at night omg) and to quick scans in mirrors this could be a major issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32725
In my opinion, it wont be any harder to see coming down the road than a black bike, and since you added the aux lights I think it will be more noticable than the bike was stock when coming down the road. Maybe more dangerous from the side but thats it....
oh yeah cuz that's cool as long it's more dangerous just from one way you may not get in a headon just t-bone by a ford expedition, or crushed between a minivan and a median wall....ya sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm4755
Here are a couple additional shots. I ran an errand today and stopped along the way trying to show various backgrounds.
Keithm
Again why do people keep commenting on it "blending with the background??" That is not the point of camo. It is to break up an object/persons, etc pattern. The eye generally scans in horizontal lines, camo helps the enemy/deer whatever to have a harder time recognizing common shapes. Once the mind registers something familiar then it focuses to figure out what it is. No one thinks you'll be mistaken for a bush on the interstate. Or be invisible against a building. Show me cloth camo that can do that and i'll be ecstatic. It's a matter of how the eye functions.
Quote:
It's really not that invisible in real life, a picture does not allow the depth of the bike's parts to show.
Keithm
see above the eye recognizes shapes/patterns/etc first, your bike won't be invisisble, but most people won't be looking DIRECTLY at it, knowing it's there. Which thus makes your assessment of it's safety un-reliable

sorry out riding for two days wanted to catch up

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes

WVdyhrd screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 10:15 AM
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #84
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
Again why do people keep commenting on it "blending with the background??" That is not the point of camo. It is to break up an object/persons, etc pattern. The eye generally scans in horizontal lines, camo helps the enemy/deer whatever to have a harder time recognizing common shapes. Once the mind registers something familiar then it focuses to figure out what it is. No one thinks you'll be mistaken for a bush on the interstate. Or be invisible against a building. Show me cloth camo that can do that and i'll be ecstatic. It's a matter of how the eye functions.

see above the eye recognizes shapes/patterns/etc first, your bike won't be invisisble, but most people won't be looking DIRECTLY at it, knowing it's there. Which thus makes your assessment of it's safety un-reliable

sorry out riding for two days wanted to catch up
So I guess what you are saying is the background is inconsequential. The colors of the bike could have been any combination, the digital pattern is the issue. So If I had selected these color scheme's for the bike the concern for visibility would not change. Even If I were riding in a desert or white background?

Urban camo

Navy Digital
Keithm

klm4755 screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 03:47 PM
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #85
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
A black bike in the shadows or on a cloudy day would be harder to see imo.

When you see a bike coming towards you, how much bike do you really see? Its all about the driver.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #86
Snowlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Interesting and as always, very documented.

I laugh at all of the contrarians on here, especially when they read the whole thread and comment and don't even own a KLR.

Not convinced that the design will turn it into a death trap either.

Having a bike wrap for out KLR's would be fun. Tank, shrouds, fenders, side panels.....
Snowlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #87
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
So I guess what you are saying is the background is inconsequential. The colors of the bike could have been any combination, the digital pattern is the issue. So If I had selected these color scheme's for the bike the concern for visibility would not change. Even If I were riding in a desert or white background?

Urban camo

Navy Digital
Keithm
no but what i'm saying is that it is more about shapes then colors, or background. Our eyes scan firrst look later. But I give up.

Like i've said i applaud that you went through with something you wanted to do, i just think it's highly unsafe

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #88
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is a camo'd KLR250 in saudia Arabia from:1991

Keithm
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #89
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Here is a camo'd KLR250 in saudia Arabia from:1991

Keithm
Where is the blacktop? How about other cars? Stop lights? Where are the tall buildings and what happened to the street noise? I don't see the sun glaring off anything, either.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #90
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Omg its GONE!

He'll be run down in his driveway as soon as he starts it up
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote