User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Who's on their second F800GS?

Had to sell my Grey 2009 when we moved from Venezuela to Chile. We've been a month in Santiago and I have already reserved ($2000) an Orange 2011.

This is the best bike I have ever ridden and I can't wait to get back on one (I spent 6 months off any bikes after a radius distal fracture while snowboarding which required surgery and some ti implants)
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
There is an 80% chance I will be on my second GS in about a month... I'm sad though I like yellow...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
There is an 80% chance I will be on my second GS in about a month... I'm sad though I like yellow...
Which color? I'll stick a sold sign on it first thing in the morning :)

Wait! It's against regs to poach from another dealer :(

Ah well, will sell out either way.

You can always trade your yellow panels onto the new bike. That's probably what I will do when I'm done riding the wheels (not literally, my wheel bearings have held up fine) off of mine.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
You can always trade your yellow panels onto the new bike.
Ack, Joel you break my heart! It is my yellow panels that are literally totaling my bike (along with every other part that is scratched). The bike runs fine, I still have to hear from my dealer if there is any serious damage (seemingly it is not that easy to determine if the forks and frame are actually damaged... I know the subframe is).

Luckily I have full coverage and my dealer has some bikes in the different colors. Honestly I don't care for lava and even less for white. I love the bike so much I know I will get another one (if I don't work out buying the salvage, etc, my insurance hasn't even gotten back to me on the estimate).

Hopefully within a few weeks I will be on a lava, white, beat up yellow, or a color of my choosing (I don't know any painters but I can finance some beer drinking sessions!).

If my bike goes to auction I may post up in here in case anyone wants to bid, depending if posting here is legal or if I want it... My friend the attorney may be buying a new suit after all is said and done.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Ack, Joel you break my heart! It is my yellow panels that are literally totaling my bike (along with every other part that is scratched). The bike runs fine, I still have to hear from my dealer if there is any serious damage (seemingly it is not that easy to determine if the forks and frame are actually damaged... I know the subframe is).

Luckily I have full coverage and my dealer has some bikes in the different colors. Honestly I don't care for lava and even less for white. I love the bike so much I know I will get another one (if I don't work out buying the salvage, etc, my insurance hasn't even gotten back to me on the estimate).

Hopefully within a few weeks I will be on a lava, white, beat up yellow, or a color of my choosing (I don't know any painters but I can finance some beer drinking sessions!).

If my bike goes to auction I may post up in here in case anyone wants to bid, depending if posting here is legal or if I want it... My friend the attorney may be buying a new suit after all is said and done.
Do yourself a favor and buy the bike when it goes for auction. You won't have to worry about dropping it any more and will have a well running bike with a known history for little money.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Do yourself a favor and buy the bike when it goes for auction. You won't have to worry about dropping it any more and will have a well running bike with a known history for little money.
+1 or part the thing out!$!$!$
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Early in the year is a great time to head south... nice and warm weather. I'll get my bike on Nov 10th so I'll have had some chance to ride around and know the terrain/riders
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
DaZbrah
start me up

Oddometer: 27
Thumb one was enough

I loved my 09 for 5k that I painted alpine white before BMW stole it and put stupid red stickers on

Sold it to a buddy and got an 09 1200GS now with just 6k and heading your way. Air cargo to Buenos Aires and follow the Dakar until the 8 day rest stop and then head home to Los Angeles

Come up north January 7/8th and help me with my bad Spanish
DaZbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
cashelvale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Who's on their second F800GS?

Am on my second GS - not by choice but - lost the first one (along with everything else) in a flood back in May after I had ridden it for only 50km !!! Bought a new one in June and it's still sitting at the dealers - waiting to get time to pick it up !!!!!!!!!
cashelvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,455
Quote:
YUP. if it's running, buy it back and use that fucker til it completely shits the bed. THEN buy another.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks
YUP. if it's running, buy it back and use that fucker til it completely shits the bed. THEN buy another.
Roger that! That is what I did this morning.

Now I just have to decide how to fix it! It is finally all mine though.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
am at least 3 months away from being able to get on a bike again...maybe longer depending on healing/surgeries etc...

but i recon i'll end up with another 800

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Roger that! That is what I did this morning.

Now I just have to decide how to fix it! It is finally all mine though.
How much did you have to pay to buy it in the end?

Are the forks still straight? I see a set of WP 48mms in your future.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain
am at least 3 months away from being able to get on a bike again...maybe longer depending on healing/surgeries etc...

but i recon i'll end up with another 800

Heal up fast man! Hope you end up fully function so you can enjoy another F8!

Quote:
How much did you have to pay to buy it in the end?

Are the forks still straight? I see a set of WP 48mms in your future.
The bike was $3500, I bought it through the insurance company for the price they would get from salvage. The lady had to spend some time looking up the price and I think they either called someone or had a book... I asked about the flexibility of the price but there was none and I didn't argue much. $3500 seems reasonable, it probably would have gone for more in auction...

Not sure about the forks but I'm optimistic . When I actually get my bike back in my hands and measure stuff I wont hesitate for a new fork set if they are bent. Always a good chance for upgrades!!!

The one part I'm kinda worried about is the actual frame.... I didn't hit hard enough to do any obvious damage to the forks but I'm not sure how to check for invisible frame damage...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

I'd say that's a great deal since the damage is probably mostly cosmetic. A few days cleaning and a few hundred in paint and you could sell her for double that.

The frame itself is a very stout piece, the other parts would be way more fucked up before it would be affected. You saw the pictures of my bent/broken forks right? I have since had the bike checked by GMD Computrack and it was all within factory specs.

The new forks should hold up a bit better, though...