ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #1516
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,098
why is my post a "shit storm?"
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #1517
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post

So...does anyone have the tracks that you can email me? btome@crossroads.net
I don't know why you haven't gotten them in the past but asking for them in public is likely a sure fire way to make sure you never get them from EC. Considering that he has asked us not to share them and that this fact has been covered about 1000X in this thread it may be interpreted that you either don't respect his wishes or you can't follow directions. Thus you are opening the flood gates for the chastising that will likely ensue.

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 01:15 PM
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #1518
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,098
Ok. I haven't been following this thread closely. I only know that months ago the OP said, "email me and I'll send you the tracks." I've done that and haven't heard anything.

No worries. I certainly don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. I love that this track was created and shared. I was just confused as to why it was shared with others and not me. Thus my, "just because you are paranoid..." Line.

I can wait and have other places to explore.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #1519
maquette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankska11 View Post
Thanks! I'll work on a RR next week.
Tap, tap, tap. Waiting for that report! Interested in how you felt about Hogback, Big Walker Mountain and the single track out of Damascus?

Tom
'79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP/ Velorex 562 sidecar
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
maquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #1520
Rave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
~A temporary solution

Here's a temporary solution for those still wanting to get out there but have reached an end pass with the current situation (it is what it is for now). A number of you have PM'd me, and so I thought I'd post here.

-Consider requesting access to the Trans-Eastern Trail-South. The turn-around time to get this file is generally less than a week. The Virginia portion of this trail mimics the BRT very closely with exception to the southern parts (Iron Mountain Trail, Big Walker mtn, etc).

-For Iron Mountain trail gpx files, go here. You will have to create an account (worth it in my opinion) to get the files. Some of you may be pleasantly surprised to find the trails & tracks that the mountain bike community has generated..... Or, you can go here, and just get the files without an account.

-Also, look up HWY 16 in Virginia. Unless you're just dying for gravel, this is a very twisty & fun road to ride. It connects the Iron Mountain ridge line with with the northern ridge line. It will also take you by some great food, scenic stuff in Marion, and gas. (A KML file of this can EASILY be generated on Google Maps, I've put an example here).

When you've gotten these two/three files, you will have to just write down notes of the order to ride them, or get creative with Garmin's Basecamp software to link it all together (or have a knowledgeable friend do it for you). I think an awesome path would be Iron Mountain to Hurricane Road to HWY 16, and then pick up the TET-S. That's pretty close to the BRT.

I know this is a challenge and requires a LOT of time. Just remember that Error Cooled put this much time and then some into creating the BRT.

Also consider that online research never holds up to boots on the ground. I've literally been riding "public" roads in SW Virginia where a farmer had built a barn over the middle of it because it was "his". We smiled, apologized, and turned around. No need for drama. Also, some of these roads/trails have seasonal access limitations or other access restrictions. If it's closed, find another path. It's adventure riding right?

I'm working on generating this file myself, but my time commitment to this is limited by the number of diapers I have to change relative to the number of princess movies I have to watch on a Saturday (and the dads all nod). Also, given that I told Error Cooled and the TET-S creator that I wouldn't share those files, I'm trying to generate original work (unless I had prior knowledge or it's found publicly elsewhere).

Finally, I hope my verbose commentary hasn't come across as a slight/jab to any of you (I apologize if I was out of line before). I'm very appreciative of the work David put into this and the sensitivity of local roads. I grew up in the very small town of Dandridge, TN myself, and there's still some riding areas there and nearby where locals would simply prefer outsiders never visited (e.g.-Windrock, Royal Blue, Martha Sundquist NF, etc). Access to information on the internet has put small towns in the limelight of online office gawkers and weekend warriors (like me). But, once it's out there folks, it's out there.......there's no going back once the triggered has been pulled.

I hope this helps in the interim. Go ride, be safe, and tread lightly.

Rave screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 01:38 PM
Rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #1521
LtsGoRyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Please follow National Forest.......

trail user rules on what type of users can access which trails. Not all trails allow all type of users. Example being... some trails in the National Forest are stated as hiking only(no horses, bikes or motor vehicles), some state hiking, biking, and equestrian but no motor vehicles and then others do allow motor vehicle usage, but may require a inexpensive permit. The trails take thousands of man hours to maintain (I know, I've provided quit a bit of sweat equity in the George Washington National Forest), some are on very sensitive grounds(can easily be eroded and destroyed in a short period of time), as well as dwindling resources for funds to keep these areas up and available to the public. Please tread lightly and follow the guidance provided by the National Forest. Yep we all pay taxes and such to have these places to enjoy, but we sure don't want to be kicked out or considered a problem. They are a tremendous resource to have and enjoy, and we want to have continued access. Just food for thought.......

LtsGoRyd screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 01:15 PM
LtsGoRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #1522
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
Great post Rave, should help most looking for BRT tracks and I got a 6 week old so yep on the diapers, princess movies right around the corner' :-)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #1523
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Here's to hoping EC has a good trip/vacation and comes back refreshed.
I can be patient!
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #1524
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,162
A few pics from the road - will catch up on requests in a few weeks.

LetsGoRyd - I realize that's probably a blanket statement - but just in case, the BRT is comprised only of legal public right of ways managed for motorized uses.

ophir pass to telluride for lunch

black canyon and blue mesa resovoir

unaweep tabeguache byway - gateway co to moab ut

canyonlands - shafer trail and long canyon

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #1525
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,738

Wow, Never saw that picture without a motorcycle in it.

I wish I had spent more time in the back country when I was there before.

Beautiful place. Nice pics.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #1526
dhawley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Great stuff. Cant wait to hit this in the fall.
dhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #1527
tarheel rider
Tight Lines

Oddometer: 124
The Blue Ridge Trail....... a work in progress

Great trip, thanks for the posts and pics! Enjoy!

tarheel rider screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 10:25 AM Reason: typo
tarheel rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #1528
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

Wow, Never saw that picture without a motorcycle in it.
Can't imagine being there without a bike

or a horse
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #1529
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Man EC you sure do travel in style Looks like a awesome time!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #1530
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,068
Ec enjoy!!!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote