ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #871
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to Galax VA next week, and this trail looks like fun.

However, what is everyone's thoughts about making on a V-Strom 650 that's setup well for off-roading? Bike too big for this trail?

Cheers
You can do it on a Strom but it'll be too much bike in there. There is plenty of dirt roads in that area to play on. Enjoy Galax, I'm returning to Hungry Mother in 1.5 years myself. I can't wait.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #872
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,229
We just got back today from the trail. We TRIED to do the single track but it was CLOSED. The sign said it was open from Oct. 1st to April 1st.

mtnflow screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 05:55 PM
mtnflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #873
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
We just got back today from the trail. We TRIED to do the single track but it was CLOSED. The sign said it was open from Oct. 1st to April 1st.
Damn it! I'm sorry Dean.., that sucks. I have an email over to the MRNRA Recreation Manager to see whats going on. He is usually quick to respond, I'll post up what I find out.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #874
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
Damn it! I'm sorry Dean.., that sucks. I have an email over to the MRNRA Recreation Manager to see whats going on. He is usually quick to respond, I'll post up what I find out.
Well it looks like an honest mistake per the USFS - someone who labeled the sign must have been confused. The Iron Mtn trail is indeed still open year round per WJ Cober - who has oversight of the trail system in the MRNRA. This guy has been really helpful over the years and sent me back a note this morning.

Quote:
David,
Yes, this sign is labeled incorrectly. We will make the change.

The Iron Mt. trail for SR 600 to Damascus is open year-round to motorbikes, as well as Beech Grove trail. The Virginia highlands horse trail from SR 16 to 21 near Speedwell is open seasonally, as well as Horne knob.

Good catch!

Ride On!

WJ Cober
Trails and Wilderness Manager
Mount Rogers National Recreation Area
George Washington & Jefferson National
Forest
3714 Hwy 16
Marion, VA 24354
276-783-5196

Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:30 PM
To: Cober, William J -FS
Subject: Re: Trail Status Question - Mt. Rogers AArea

Mr. Cober -

Did the permitted year round status of motorcycles change on the Iron Mtn trail recently? It is still marked as open year round on the most recent 2012 MVUM - but a few buddies of mine encountered this sign this week (attached). Hopefully the sign was in error - but any insight you can share would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

David

error cooled screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 06:46 AM
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #875
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
could you drop me a pm with how to receive these maps please?
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #876
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapest View Post
could you drop me a pm with how to receive these maps please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
The Blue Ridge Trail

(COMPLETED in mid 2011 - Ready for Release - PM your email address and I will send you the files. See update at the bottom of this post)
Second line of the first post.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #877
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I'm not completely illiterate, I did try that. Must have done something wrong, reckon I'll give it a shot again.
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #878
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapest View Post
I'm not completely illiterate, I did try that. Must have done something wrong, reckon I'll give it a shot again.
That's what I had to do. I'm sure EC is getting hammered with requests this time of year, especially.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #879
BLUEThunder
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Oddometer: 490
Many Thanks!

WOW! Error Cooled, you are da man! What an incredible job you did in creating this route! Many thanks to you for all of your work!!! Hopefully I will see you at Camp Cow Crap and can thank you in person.

I just completed a large portion (886 miles) of the trail yesterday with Mtnflow, Krotchity, buckshot92 and two other ADV newbies. I can't begin to tell you how many times my jaw dropped in my helmet...from the amazing vistas, to the beautiful creeks, the scenic and breathtaking valley's, the awesome ridgeline rides and the freakin awesome long uphill two tracks and endless mudholes. It is simply a dual sporters DREAM ride. We had PERFECT weather (for the most part), great camp sites and lots of good laughs. Thank you so much and thanks to all the guys on the ride for a great time.

Oh, and I have to throw out a HUGE THANKS to Reggie and Lew from Hillbilly Cycles in Princeton, WV for all of their help in getting us back on the road on Monday. (more on that in the Ride Report that is upcoming) If anyone needs anything when you're in the Bluefield/Princeton areas be sure to check out HillBilly Cycles. They went out of their way to help us. Good guys!

It was a bummer about missing out on the singletrack portion...that's kind of what I live for...guess that is reason to go back and do it again, right?

Thanks again! I will try to start a ride report soon. I'll post a link here when I get it going.

BLUEThunder screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 06:18 PM
BLUEThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #880
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
Blue,

Looks like y'all had a great ride. I haven't done this trail yet. Perhaps soon.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #881
BLUEThunder
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Oddometer: 490
Sample pics of our Spring '13 BRT trip

Here are just a couple of pics from our ride on the BRT this week. I will follow up with a link to a ride report in the near future. (I hope)

Wesley bustin out of a creek after a lunch stop...

Typical ridgeline riding along the BRT

AMAZING views found along the BRT:
BLUEThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #882
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEThunder View Post
WOW! Error Cooled, you are da man! What an incredible job you did in creating this route! Many thanks to you for all of your work!!! Hopefully I will see you at Camp Cow Crap and can thank you in person.

I just completed a large portion (886 miles) of the trail yesterday with Mtnflow, Krotchity, buckshot92 and two other ADV newbies. I can't begin to tell you how many times my jaw dropped in my helmet...from the amazing vistas, to the beautiful creeks, the scenic and breathtaking valley's, the awesome ridgeline rides and the freakin awesome long uphill two tracks and endless mudholes. It is simply a dual sporters DREAM ride. We had PERFECT weather (for the most part), great camp sites and lots of good laughs. Thank you so much and thanks to all the guys on the ride for a great time.

Oh, and I have to throw out a HUGE THANKS to Reggie and Lew from Hillbilly Cycles in Princeton, WV for all of their help in getting us back on the road on Monday. (more on that in the Ride Report that is upcoming) If anyone needs anything when you're in the Bluefield/Princeton areas be sure to check out HillBilly Cycles. They went out of their way to help us. Good guys!

It was a bummer about missing out on the singletrack portion...that's kind of what I live for...guess that is reason to go back and do it again, right?

Thanks again! I will try to start a ride report soon. I'll post a link here when I get it going.
Awesome! Dean shot me a note but I didn't realize how much ground you guys covered. Please do post up the RR when you can, the handful of photos you posted look great
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #883
kicktenmin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
im in pilot mtn n.c if any one is going and would like a tagalone im in just get back with me or call 336-972-4703 thanks ricky
kicktenmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #884
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,655
I lost my tool roll I think south of Tub run (new castle) on a goat path and North of Mnt lake rd on Wednesday afternoon, May 15th. I'll get with H14 to narrow it down a bit. Anyway tools are wrapped in a white t-shirt inside a clear plastic bag with a wide rubberband securing it. I think I hit a rock and busted the red tool tube cap again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.

Scotty P screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 07:05 AM
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #885
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
I lost my tool roll I think south of Tub run (new castle) on a goat path and North of Mnt lake rd on Wednesday afternoon, May 15th. I'll get with H14 to narrow it down a bit. Anyway tools are wrapped in a white t-shirt inside a clear plastic bag with a wide rubberband securing it. I think I hit a rock and busted the red tool tube cap again.
Sounds like FR177.4 Baily Gap - which is old AT - due north of Mtn Lake. It winds around to Butt Mtn.

Any pics from the trip?