ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #901
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,088
Some of that BRT looks like my big Valk could do a little ..

Hey did ya get any icecream @ BW mtn. ??
The lemon crunch is to die for

We had fun with ya'll.. Come back any time..

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #902
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post
We used it to make our way from Harrisonburg Va. to the RDV in Tennessee.
...SNIP...
We left Tues May 14 and ended up at RDV Thursday evening.
So three days of riding from Harrisonburg, VA to Hampton, VA. Hmm, might be able to pull that off one way on my EXC without an oil change, hmmmm... (The thought of taking the KLR in the woods after getting a KTM just isn't sounding that appealing.)

Looks like y'all made a good little run of it.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #903
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,357
If you don't have a stearing stabilizer on the exc......take the KLR! much more comfy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #904
MATTRIDER
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Looks Like Fun!

Great to meet you guys! The KTM did wonderful on the first off road ride, a huge upgrade from the old KLX650... The trip looks like a ton of fun I hope to make it soon! Thanks for turning me onto ADV!
MATTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #905
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTRIDER View Post
Great to meet you guys! The KTM did wonderful on the first off road ride, a huge upgrade from the old KLX650... The trip looks like a ton of fun I hope to make it soon! Thanks for turning me onto ADV!
Hey, it was good to meet you too Matt. Glad you are happy with the bike. Hang around on here and you will get to meet some good people and get in on some good rides. We will let you know when we are back in your area or doing something you might want to join.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #906
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTRIDER View Post
Good job finding this Matt! Nice meeting you, and welcome to ADV. I have a feeling you will fit right in.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #907
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Sunday ride on the BRT

Here are a few pics from our day ride on the BRT today.(in the interest of keeping the thread moving….).

We’re still looking to ride the whole trail this summer, but haven’t been able to make a multi-day trip happen yet, and the forecast for that is getting worse and worse. Decided to take what we can get now, and ran 100 mi up the highway today to ride roughly 50 mi of trail before blasting down the highway back home.

Even grabbed a little parkway on the way up:

We hopped on at Buchanan and headed south on the trail (ok, north on 43, s/sw trail direction....). I’m pretty much a complete off-road noob, so I’m really excited about riding the BRT. My CRF230L is the first “off-road” oriented bike I’ve ever owned, and it’s definitely a noob friendly playbike.

I made DH go back across my first “official” water crossing to get a pic. Ya’ll can share in our amusement that I was a little bit intimidated by what turned out to be the world’s easiest water crossing. Little did I know how much practice I would get, there were like 8 or 9 more crossings, none of which were any trouble today.

The ridges in this section were a really nice way to escape the heat, but summer growth didn’t allow for any pics with a view.

Thanks Error Cooled for the hard work. Even for a day ride, having the BRT route saved us a bunch of time trying to figure out where to go. Instead, we enjoyed a great ride in beautiful weather. Hope to be able to post that link to a ride report you asked for later this summer.

Am.E screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 07:42 PM
Am.E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #908
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 283
About that second picture... I felt like I was riding in Nevada at that point so I stopped and took the very same one.

Dont get butt hurt when I say this because I can only say it as a wise ass.

Those long stalky things coming off the handlebars with the reflective doodad attached to them that look like an excelent place to hang a helmet are an excelent place to hang a helmet. Just sayin'

Thanks for the ride report!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #909
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
About that second picture... I felt like I was riding in Nevada at that point so I stopped and took the very same one.

Dont get butt hurt when I say this because I can only say it as a wise ass.

Those long stalky things coming off the handlebars with the reflective doodad attached to them that look like an excelent place to hang a helmet are an excelent place to hang a helmet. Just sayin'

Thanks for the ride report!
I had a mirror break not sure if it was due to hanging a helmet or vibration.The one I hung my helmet on was the only one that broke.
I stopped hanging the helmet on the mirror until I got a pair of double takes.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #910
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I received the tracks and imported the RAW file into Basecamp on my mac. All looks good, but when I move the file to my GPS (montana 600), I can only see a small portion of the BRT at a time.

Can anyone school me--I am a GPS noob--and help me figure out how to see the whole Trail as a single loop on my GPS?
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #911
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
I received the tracks and imported the RAW file into Basecamp on my mac. All looks good, but when I move the file to my GPS (montana 600), I can only see a small portion of the BRT at a time.

Can anyone school me--I am a GPS noob--and help me figure out how to see the whole Trail as a single loop on my GPS?
Probably too many "points" for the GPS???? You can "filter" some out or cut it into smaller tracks. Just guessing as I don't know anything about the Montana 600, but I need to do this sometimes with a Garmin Foretrex, but not so much with the Zumo. Have you tried the ".....500ptmax" file?

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #912
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Probably too many "points" for the GPS???? You can "filter" some out or cut it into smaller tracks. Just guessing as I don't know anything about the Montana 600, but I need to do this sometimes with a Garmin Foretrex, but not so much with the Zumo. Have you tried the ".....500ptmax" file?
I tried the 500pt max file, but it would import. Got a dialog box saying the file "could not be found." I can try to filter the tracks, but wonder if this is everyones' experience. My Montana can handle like 10,000 points per track on up to 200 tracks, I think.

Anyone actually using these files have some info?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #913
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
I tried the 500pt max file, but it would import. Got a dialog box saying the file "could not be found." I can try to filter the tracks, but wonder if this is everyones' experience. My Montana can handle like 10,000 points per track on up to 200 tracks, I think.

Anyone actually using these files have some info?
I loaded them to my Zumo, they seemed ok, but I did not ride it yet. And I reworked into one long track so I can just start and ride for 5 days with out messing with it.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #914
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
I believe what is happening is that you will either have to enable all the little tracks one by one or you'll have to link the various tracks up.

If any GPS can handle it, the Montana can.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #915
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
And I reworked into one long track so I can just start and ride for 5 days with out messing with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I believe what is happening is that you will either have to enable all the little tracks one by one or you'll have to link the various tracks up.
Both these sound like exactly what I want to do. I'm brand new to the GPS world and don't know how to "rework into one long track" or "link the various tracks up"

Do I do this in Basecamp or on the Montana itself? Are there any resources (i.e. links) that will give me instructions?

Thank you