ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #931
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,107
Any good stealth camping up there or rustic camp sites?I'll be sleeping in a hammock by then.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #932
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
If all goes as planned,I'm hoping to pick up a new Honda Grom, and farkle it over winter,for a trip around the BRT next spring.
You are a masochist . Plenty of dispersed camping all over the JNF and GWNF - with plenty of campgrounds highlighted in the data set.

The Grom has about 4" of suspension travel. Neat bikes - but so far from practical for this route. You would be much better suited by a $1200 XT225, DR350, XR250L etc etc.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #933
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Over the last 3 weeks we have ridden most of the BRT from just east of I-77 to just west of Staunton (around Deerfield). No GPS, so we worked off of various maps and generally had a great time wandering around. Buchanan was a good base station for 2 days this past week. Hope to get back up and check out the "upper" remaining part soon (particularly if things dry out just a bit - 80 miles in the rain Wednesday to get back to the motel).

We were already pretty familiar with the Damascus to Big Walker to Burkes Garden section, but the rest was new for these NC boys.

Thanks for putting all this together.
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #934
Ken g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Error cooled , I sent you a few pm's with my email did you get them or am I doing something wrong. Anyway I would love the tracks. Thanks for your hard work.
Ken g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #935
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Same here Ken. I was hoping it wasn't just my smell!
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #936
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
I havnt had a chance to ride it yet but Im workin on some dirt road routes across the southern part of VA and really appreciate the work you put into this.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #937
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 541
Links to road closures in that area due to storms.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/ne...TELPRDB5428105
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #938
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Please send me a copy of the GDB for your BRT. It sounds terrific.

I've been riding Off Road & Dual Sport in this region for over 40 years. From reading the ride reports, I can tell that I've ridden many of the roads & trails, but I'm interested to see the routes that I haven't found.

Many of the old trails that we used to ride have been closed by the USFS, but some are now open for seasonal use. It sounds like you're on top of these.

I have a GDB that may be of some use to you: gravel/ dirt roads from Va County maps transposed onto Mapsource. I don't have all of Virginia transposed yet, but to date, the GDB included most of the counties near the Blue Ridge. This GDB also
shows USFS trails from MVUM maps. Let me know if you have any interest & I'll send it to you.

I just started a similar mapping. project for WVa. The WVa County maps are amazingly accurate. Until discovering these a few years ago, we almost always ended up at dead ends or gates in WVa. Now, we've had several successful thru trips on 80% dirt & gravel. We've found that WVa dirt/gravel county roads can be much more primitive than their Va counterparts. Nearly all Va gravel Va county roads are graded smooth these days. Their WVa counterparts are often much more fun.

A few friends & I currently start most of our rides from my cabin near Roseville, Va. I used to live & ride from Blacksburg & Salem, so I know the central part of the state the best. However, I've ridden dual sport bikes up & down the Appalachians from Ga. to Goose Bay & know a little bit about areas outside of central Va.

In the old days, I would race a bike for a few years, then convert it to a dual sport. My dual sports included a plated Ossa Pioneer, then a plated Hodaka 125, then a plated Maico Wide Ratio 400, then a plated Husky WR390 w/ a home made front disc brake. On each of them, I installed big tanks & tall gearing & fabbed some sort of luggage rack. Except for the hassle of mixing oil, they were all pretty good dual sports.

The 390 was the most versatile because it was reliable & had a 6 speed wide ratio gear box, but it vibrated more than the others. The Maico was pretty smooth & got surprisingly good fuel mileage, but it was only a 4 speed. It had a rare wide ratio enduro gear box, but it still revved too much on the highway. I wasn't a very good mechanic when I rode the Ossa & it often left me stranded. It only got about 30-35 mpg w/ a 3 gallon tank, so between mechanical issues & fueling up all the time, I couldn't ride it very far. The Hodaka didn't have enough power to keep up w/ traffic w/o revving the hell out of it. Still it was a lot of fun as long as I kept a fresh piston & rings in it.

For the last 15 yrs, I've mostly ridden a bunch of DR350s that have been pieced together from '90, '96, '98 & '99 versions. Parts of my current DR probably have over 100k miles, but the current engine only has about 10k on it. The DRs have been terrific & a lot of fun. The DR isn't much faster than the Hodaka, but it runs smoothly & gets great fuel mileage. With a big tank, big seat & big front brake I've been able to ride it on a bunch of 3-4k mile trips. Most of my recent riding has been 1-2 day round trips from Roseville.

Hope to see you on the trail.
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #939
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 211
Hey porterrad, I had to pull out the VA Atlas & Gazetteer to find out where Roseland is.

I have a place about 20 miles SW of Monterey, VA. If you are ever in this area, give me a shout and I can probably show you some new country. I've been riding dirt bikes for 46 years so we should have a lot in common.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #940
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

I just caught up on a long back log - and got the files out to 35 folks. Check your spam folder if you have not seen it. If you didn't send me your email in the PM I don't have a way to get it to you.

I had to make some changes in the Mt. Rogers NRA area north of Damascus. It's all single track there - and the error could cause problems for those navigating and get folks on foot trails.

I appreciate everyone's patience - and the new files are corrected and up to date.

I want to add some Fall options to the file and also some more trail alts that branch off the parkway itself. I have the routes but getting them out cleanly will take some more time in front of the PC.

I hope folks are getting out there and riding. Safe trails everyone

error cooled screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 07:30 PM
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #941
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterrad View Post
I have a GDB that may be of some use to you: gravel/ dirt roads from Va County maps transposed onto Mapsource. I don't have all of Virginia transposed yet, but to date, the GDB included most of the counties near the Blue Ridge. This GDB also
shows USFS trails from MVUM maps. Let me know if you have any interest & I'll send it to you.
Good stuff. In getting this project started I got some assistance from the USFS and was able to digitize the MVUM from GIS data into a Garmin Mapsource / Basecamp file.

Always interested in seeing others mapping projects.

Quote:
I just started a similar mapping. project for WVa. The WVa County maps are amazingly accurate. Until discovering these a few years ago, we almost always ended up at dead ends or gates in WVa. Now, we've had several successful thru trips on 80% dirt & gravel. We've found that WVa dirt/gravel county roads can be much more primitive than their Va counterparts. Nearly all Va gravel Va county roads are graded smooth these days. Their WVa counterparts are often much more fun.
"Impassable" is quite possible the best classification - thanks WVDOT

Quote:
For the last 15 yrs, I've mostly ridden a bunch of DR350s that have been pieced together from '90, '96, '98 & '99 versions. Parts of my current DR probably have over 100k miles, but the current engine only has about 10k on it. The DRs have been terrific & a lot of fun. The DR isn't much faster than the Hodaka, but it runs smoothly & gets great fuel mileage. With a big tank, big seat & big front brake I've been able to ride it on a bunch of 3-4k mile trips. Most of my recent riding has been 1-2 day round trips from Roseville.
Great bikes - the DR350.

Quote:
Hope to see you on the trail.
Likewise.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #942
Ken g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Got the files thanks much. Looking forward to a great ride.
Ken g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #943
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Awesome! Just got the files! This has motivated me to get the DRZ up and going!
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #944
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,033
Got the files. Thanks for all your hard work. If you ever need anything up in md let me know.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #945
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
Hey porterrad, I had to pull out the VA Atlas & Gazetteer to find out where Roseland is.
I just did the same.

Great option to get back in the mountains from Roseland would be FR1167 - Coon Bridge - back to Alhambra and south of Shoe Creek. This is one of the roads I will throw in next update.