ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #961
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
Hey porterrad, I had to pull out the VA Atlas & Gazetteer to find out where Roseland is.

When I think Roseland I think of Shoe Creek and Devil's Backbone Brewrey My two favorite things Beer and dirt.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #962
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Brew Ridge Trail

In less than 15 miles from Roseland to I-64, along Route 151 there are 3 breweries, 7 wineries & a new place that bottles hard cider.
http://brewridgetrail.com/
http://nelson151.com/

These web sites push the local limo services so you don't end up in a ditch. In the last few years I've started running into folks from all over the country who had come just to sample the local alcohol.

Shoe Creek is still open year round, but i've seen it flowing pretty fast & well over 2' deep in the late winter & spring.

Within a 25 mile radius of Shoe Creek, there are another half dozen comparable thru trails. For the last dozen years, the best trails are only legal from April 1 to Jan 10. Most of these trails are connected by USFS or Va County gravel roads. It's pretty easy to make a 150 mile loop on 80% gravel & dirt.

The area can get overrun with touristas on weekends & holidays, but during the weekdays, I'll often ride for an hour w/o seeing another vehicle.
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #963
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Got the files, thanks Error Cooled.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #964
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Error Cooled: Just rec'd the map. Thanks for all the selfless work that you put into this. I can't believe how well done this is.

I'll be making a contribution to the Blue Ribbon Coalitiion www.sharetrails.org to help keep these trails open. Ride quietly.
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #965
Duvekot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
got it

Got the file, thanks.
Duvekot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #966
2 spoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Just received it . Thank you
2 spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #967
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Received them in record time. Thanks!
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #968
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Thumb Thank You!

Thank you David. I got the tracks and BRT info. I really appreciate your work and your generosity in sharing!

Regards,

Galen Diehl
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #969
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Just received the files, thank you e_c. Looking forward to getting dirty soon.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #970
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Just got the updated file (mine was dated). Thanks, Error_cooled!

I'm tentatively planning on riding the trail from south to north this fall.

Here is a ride report from a short section that I did last year:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833043

Thanks,
-RR
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #971
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Thanks for the files!
turtlemoye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #972
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Found, jacket liner - walker mountain rd.

So, just got back from a 3 day, 2 night motocamping trip on the BRT this weekend . Hope to share some pics soon....

We found this jacket liner on the trail, and were wondering if it belongs to anyone here, or if anyone knows someone missing a liner. We'll mail it to you. It was found on Walker Mountain road on the way up Big Walker Mountain from 601 (Little Creek hwy).

the liner was on the left side of the trail, most of the way to the top, but maybe about a mile before the last turn onto the ridge. This and the occasional tire track were the only evidence all weekend of anyone else out on the trail.
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #973
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am.E View Post
So, just got back from a 3 day, 2 night motocamping trip on the BRT this weekend . Hope to share some pics soon....
Niiiiice! Looking forward to the report and pictures!

Curious - was Big Walker Mtn navigable down the mountain - and also were you are able to get into Burkes Garden via Round Mountain Rd?
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #974
Drnknmnky13
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Would love to get a copy of he route as well. Planning on doing that area in about 3 weeks. Having a pre-plannes, pre-checked route would make life much easier. Thanks.
Drnknmnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #975
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
Niiiiice! Looking forward to the report and pictures!

Curious - was Big Walker Mtn navigable down the mountain - and also were you are able to get into Burkes Garden via Round Mountain Rd?
Short version: Yes-ish. Big Walker mtn is navigable, but pretty slow towards the top. I recommend being short so itís easier to duck under all the low branches.

Long version: We did the trail from south to north (started in Damascus), and so went up Big Walker Mtn mountain from 601/little creek hwy (thatís what google earth labels that road). The trail goes back west for a bit there to go into Burkeís garden, so we road the ridge from east to west, and then down into Ceres before going into Burkes garden.

The trail up Walker mtn is somewhat maintained for a bit, and then is clearly less used towards the top. Its very overgrown, rocky, and washed out, but there is evidence of some minor clearing all the way up (at least one other bike had been there recently enough to see a track in a few places). We had to duck a lot, and clear one small downed tree, but we did manage to ride all the way up, although I considered it a pretty difficult trail. The rock bed sections in the low tunnel of trees were interesting. (Iíve been rating trail difficulty as I go on a 1 to 5 scale: 1 = paved, and therefore the easiest, and 5 = expert level, aka Iron mtn, or what the hell am I doing in here). The trail up walker mtn a solid 4 out of 5. The ridge itself is a very manageable 3 (somewhat challenging but not too hard for a noob). Once we got past the towers (west of I-77), the road was well maintained after that, difficulty level 2. Its very easy to access the ridge from the west side (US 52).

The road into Burkes Garden from the south is a 2. Thatís a really pleasant ride Iíve always wanted to do, and finally got the chance this weekend. Thatís a nice road.

The road out going east (garden mtn to round mountain?) is not nearly as smooth, but not bad at all. Maybe a 2.5 or 3 in places.

I donít think we took round mountain all the way out into Bastian. We came to a fork, with no sign indicating closures either way. We went right, which I think is the bypass that goes down into the valley, and rode into Bastian that way. Very easy. So sorry, I donít know if round mountain is open all the way.
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote