ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1066
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
Niiiice - looking forward to it.

Also just stumbled across this group's video on the trail. I hear them mention DSA in the video. Is this anyone on here?

I believe some of those guys are on here. Some are on a local forum I'm on and I believe it was mentioned to post up that ride here also.

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #1067
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
That's the ride I lead about a month ago. We rode the first 150 miles north to south before camping and riding back the next day. I'm planning on running the whole route next weekend solo. Going to try and do it in two days and then slab it back on the third day.

I'm not much on taking pictures or ride reports but I'll see how it goes. Anyone want to give me some tips on a garmen gps using base camp?
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #1068
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Also just stumbled across this group's video on the trail. I hear them mention DSA in the video. Is this anyone on here?
Present. I was on the ride, but haven't made it through the whole video to see if I make an appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
Anyone want to give me some tips on a garmen gps using base camp?
What, my directions weren't clear as mud? You have a laptop? Gonna be in DSA this week? I can stop by after work. Easier to show than explain.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #1069
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

I'll be there tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1070
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
That's the ride I lead about a month ago. We rode the first 150 miles north to south before camping and riding back the next day. I'm planning on running the whole route next weekend solo. Going to try and do it in two days and then slab it back on the third day.

I'm not much on taking pictures or ride reports but I'll see how it goes. Anyone want to give me some tips on a garmen gps using base camp?
WTF? error cooled's whole BRT or what route you talking about?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #1071
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
WTF? error cooled's whole BRT or what route you talking about?
The whole trail west of interstate 81. Plan is to make it to Blacksburg on day 1. The rest on day 2. Then hop on 81 and ride back north on day 3.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #1072
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
The whole trail west of interstate 81. Plan is to make it to Blacksburg on day 1. The rest on day 2. Then hop on 81 and ride back north on day 3.
Gonna be a little damp here (SW Virginia) this weekend. Bring your rain gear.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #1073
ridemtra
single track

Oddometer: 7
Quote:

not sure what whole route you intend to ride brt consists of about 900 miles Sieg and I rode 800 miles of it last week so you'll need to haul ass if you intend to cover it in 3 days
ridemtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #1074
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemtra View Post
not sure what whole route you intend to ride brt consists of about 900 miles Sieg and I rode 800 miles of it last week so you'll need to haul ass if you intend to cover it in 3 days
I have a distinct feeling that he won't have any problems rolling the miles.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #1075
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:

I'm in there as well, though not much camera time for me.
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #1076
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 948
I just booked a room at the Econolodge in Woodstock, VA. They said I could leave my truck there for a few days, and it looks to be pretty close to Mt Solon (I'm leaving the Shen500 and heading there).

I was trying to piece together a mostly off-road loop combining the TWVT and the BRT, but it looks like I'm going to attempt more of a down-and-back on the BRT, since I've got 4 (or, possibly 4 1/2) days to ride. I'm not wild about backtracking, but (for me) it's better than 80 miles of pavement to connect the two.

This should happen Oct 7, so I'll report back afterwards.
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1077
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I just booked a room at the Econolodge in Woodstock, VA. They said I could leave my truck there for a few days, and it looks to be pretty close to Mt Solon (I'm leaving the Shen500 and heading there).

I was trying to piece together a mostly off-road loop combining the TWVT and the BRT, but it looks like I'm going to attempt more of a down-and-back on the BRT, since I've got 4 (or, possibly 4 1/2) days to ride. I'm not wild about backtracking, but (for me) it's better than 80 miles of pavement to connect the two.

Backtracking is OK with me, all the downhills are now uphills and lefts are now rights.

What's the weather like around Thanksgiving? (Dec 1st maybe)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #1078
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

When I went on the little two day jaunt, we backtracked some of the same trails, and the consensus was that they were quite different northbound and southbound. Could have just been the second day talking, but northbound sure felt a lot more abusive.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #1079
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post

The file has a a few alternate paths.. so you can vary up your route a bit coming back. I would make sure to get east between Big Island and Waynesboro. There are some great roads in the vicinity off of the parkwat that are also in the route - like Enchanted Creek, Shoe Creek and Pedlar River. You could add Coon Bridge FDR 1167 into the mix as well - although its not in the BRT file.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #1080
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
I rode shoe creek uphill this time thinking it would be easier. Maybe if it wasnt raining and I could see the wet rocks that were throwing me around it would have been. I should really stop doing this solo.