ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #1081
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
BRT video

Hey people. I just wanted to post up a video I just made of a ride on the Blue Ridge Trail a week ago. I probably won't get around to doing a full ride report since the rides were just one-day rides out of Blacksburg. A combination of logistical and technical difficulties coupled with laziness and performing required maintenance the day of departure didn't allow for the long ride from Damascus to BBurg with camping that I originally had in mind! Next time.

Essentially, my friend and I rode around Mtn Lake (Butt Mt, North to South) and also Big Walker Mtn, Burke's Garden, and Round Mtn, south to north. I've ridden Hogback Mtn before, but not this trip. The riding was great and thanks to Error Cooled for the routes. I was able to get pieces of them adequately loaded into my ancient Magellan Meridian which was most vital for the start of the Big Walked Mtn run (not marked at all that I saw). Incidentally, we saw no one on the harder trails at all.

I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten just over 60mpg for some of the trip (BMW XChallenge). My friend got high 40s with the G450X. We needed to carry extra fuel for him. I was also happy to have just installed a T63 on the rear of my bike!

Enjoy:

http://youtu.be/3X712THA4p8
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #1082
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
blue ridge trail

I PM's about a week or so ago, looking forward to getting file and riding up there from florida. I took a week off from the fire dept. Oct 6th - 11th.

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #1083
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
I PM's about a week or so ago, looking forward to getting file and riding up there from florida. I took a week off from the fire dept. Oct 6th - 11th.

Thanks again.
You may see me out there... that's the exact same time I plan on riding this. (Assuming I don't break anything at the Shenandoah 500.)
Old 09-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #1084
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
...I was also happy to have just installed a T63 on the rear of my bike!

Enjoy:

http://youtu.be/3X712THA4p8
Having a new T63 on th rear of my KLR is why I rode out instead of walked out last weekend.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #1085
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hi, I'm considering tackling the entire BRT in a few weeks (mid-october) and was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea of how many days I should expect? I planon riding pretty hard each day.

Also, is there a certain direction better than another? For instance, should I BRP it up to Front Royal and head south to Damascus, or is either direction suitable?

Thanks
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #1086
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
A few years ago I came down from NJ and rode from Lexinton VA west of 81 to Knoxville to attend an AMA trail ride north of Knoxville.

Is this trail system in that general area?

If so, I'd love to give it a try.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #1087
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
Hi, I'm considering tackling the entire BRT in a few weeks (mid-october) and was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea of how many days I should expect? I planon riding pretty hard each day.

Also, is there a certain direction better than another? For instance, should I BRP it up to Front Royal and head south to Damascus, or is either direction suitable?

Thanks
For anyone to even try to make a guess, it would help to know your riding level and bike, minimum.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #1088
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post

Thanks
I rode most of the BRT north to south with my brother and a buddy this summer. It took us four full days and we had to cut out where the BRT loops west around iron mountain. If I had to do it again, I'd start from Harrisburg and allow four days round trip (coming home on the BRP). The best riding was south of route 33 imho.

The Table is right though--your skills (and the weather!) are big factors. fwiw, our round trip--starting a little east of Front Royal--was just under 1000 miles.
thebugslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1089
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

I'm not great with a gps (I much prefer Google maps on my phone to my Garmin Montana, just to give you an idea)...
do people bother to create routes from these tracks? If so, how do you do it? My Montana can only handle 50 points per route.
Or, should I just copy all the tracks to my gps and try to piece them together?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #1090
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I'm not great with a gps (I much prefer Google maps on my phone to my Garmin Montana, just to give you an idea)...
do people bother to create routes from these tracks? If so, how do you do it? My Montana can only handle 50 points per route.
I prefer routes to tracks when possible because the GPS tells me about upcoming turns. With only a track the rider must visually monitor the GPS constantly to stay on course. However routes can only follow navigable roads. Some ridable tracks are not considered "roads" so the GPS will not route over them.

The great thing about tracks is they will display correctly on any GPS that supports them. Routes, OTOH,must be calculated on YOUR mapset. Someone else's route will probably not calculate correctly on your GPS unless there are copious waypoints or vias included. To acurately follow a route calculated from a track your GPS MUST be capable of turning recalculation off. Many of the newer ones aren't. And, to calculate routes from tracks you should use the PC application Mapsource or Basecamp (newer) then download the route to the GPS. There's a process for that. Bottom line is it takes some know-how and effort to make routes from tracks but once done, for me, they are easier to.follow.

A smartphone GPS depends on internet access for its maps. There are many places where there is no connectivity and as far as I know there is no way to turn off recalculatation in the GPS apps I've seen so far. Not a good solution for dual sport riding.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #1091
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
I rode most of the BRT north to south with my brother and a buddy this summer. It took us four full days
agree, I'd say 4 full days even riding hard and long days, would allow for 5.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #1092
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I prefer routes to tracks when possible because the GPS tells me about upcoming turns. With only a track the rider must visually monitor the GPS constantly to stay on course. However routes can only follow navigable roads. Some ridable tracks are not considered "roads" so the GPS will not route over them.

The great thing about tracks is they will display correctly on any GPS that supports them. Routes, OTOH,must be calculated on YOUR mapset. Someone else's route will probably not calculate correctly on your GPS unless there are copious waypoints or vias included. To acurately follow a route calculated from a track your GPS MUST be capable of turning recalculation off. Many of the newer ones aren't. And, to calculate routes from tracks you should use the PC application Mapsource or Basecamp (newer) then download the route to the GPS. There's a process for that. Bottom line is it takes some know-how and effort to make routes from tracks but once done, for me, they are easier to.follow.

A smartphone GPS depends on internet access for its maps. There are many places where there is no connectivity and as far as I know there is no way to turn off recalculatation in the GPS apps I've seen so far. Not a good solution for dual sport riding.
Smartphones don't require cell service for mapping- that's a myth; you just need a base map installed. (I don't have one, but there are plenty of cheap apps to do this).

I can disable auto-routing on my gps... I always do on rides like this (unless it's late in the day and I'm looking for a hotel or gas). But, the tracks have like 500 points, and I can only manage 50 points per route. To cut these down into routes would take forever; plus, it would be difficult to manage so many routes.

Also, my gps will route off-road. I don't know the specifics on how that works, but it does.

I agree about staring at a track. When I have only a track to follow, I find myself looking at the gps more than the trail (or scenery). I'm always afraid I'll miss a turn when using tracks.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #1093
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Smartphones don't require cell service for mapping- that's a myth; you just need a base map installed. (I don't have one, but there are plenty of cheap apps to do this).

I can disable auto-routing on my gps... I always do on rides like this (unless it's late in the day and I'm looking for a hotel or gas). But, the tracks have like 500 points, and I can only manage 50 points per route. To cut these down into routes would take forever; plus, it would be difficult to manage so many routes.

Also, my gps will route off-road. I don't know the specifics on how that works, but it does.

I agree about staring at a track. When I have only a track to follow, I find myself looking at the gps more than the trail (or scenery). I'm always afraid I'll miss a turn when using tracks.
Useful utility for coverting GPS files.

http://www.sackman.info/WinGDB3
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #1094
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
On a Montana you can copy in all of the tracks with out issue. There should not be anything to piece together if all are loaded - it is a continuous set of tracks. Since many of the "roads" on the BRT are not in Garmin's map library - routing would not be possible. If you don't care for your Montana I will send you an iPhone with Google Maps as a trade . All kidding aside you have the most powerful Garmin unit at your disposal -- and the reality is that routes are only useful for well traveled, mapped roads.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #1095
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 35
Pm sent! Can't wait to get up there in two weeks! Exactly the ride I was looking for! Thank you.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote