ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #1096
Hokieman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pm sent, file request.
Thanks
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #1097
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
943 miles in two days and loved every minute. The only down side was the Blue Ridge parkway and it's ridiculously low speed limit. Spent 28 hours in the saddle and destroyed a new rear tire but it was fun.

Only had one glitch in the trail and that was a road closed around Bradley's Pond. I took a few pictures I'll upload later. Anyone debating about taking this ride should just do it. It's a load of fun and really has everything you could want. Thanks for the track error!
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #1098
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
943 miles in two days and loved every minute. The only down side was the Blue Ridge parkway and it's ridiculously low speed limit. Spent 28 hours in the saddle and destroyed a new rear tire but it was fun.

Only had one glitch in the trail and that was a road closed around Bradley's Pond. I took a few pictures I'll upload later. Anyone debating about taking this ride should just do it. It's a load of fun and really has everything you could want. Thanks for the track error!
That is awesome... you must have been hauling ass. Did you take the XR600? Can't wait to see the few pictures.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1099
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Yea took the xr. I was moving at a good pace but the biggest factor was how rarely I stopped. I had just fitted a 5 gallon clark tank so I didn't stop untill it was into the last gallon of fuel and that was usually every 200 miles. At that time I would scarf down some gas station grub and water and was usually back on the trail within 10 minutes of stopping.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #1100
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post

...I agree about staring at a track. When I have only a track to follow, I find myself looking at the gps more than the trail (or scenery). I'm always afraid I'll miss a turn when using tracks.
I use tracks. Off road I just check the GPS when I approach an intersecting trail. If there is no intersection I cant miss a turn and there just arent that many intersections to distract me. Of course I am generally not traveling much faster than 50mph on the dirt, maybe if your traveling faster they come up more often.
On road is another story, sometimes I can get my KLR up to 70mph .
Seriously though, missing a turn is not the end of the world, zoom out, find the turn, back track, and continue. Missed turns are where adventures begin. Explore a little.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #1101
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
Yea took the xr. I was moving at a good pace but the biggest factor was how rarely I stopped. I had just fitted a 5 gallon clark tank so I didn't stop untill it was into the last gallon of fuel and that was usually every 200 miles. At that time I would scarf down some gas station grub and water and was usually back on the trail within 10 minutes of stopping.
If you do this again let me know sounds like my kind of ride. AB
Old 09-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #1102
tread55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Error cooled,
Sent you request. Thanks in advance for all of your hard efforts and for being kind enough to share. You ROCK!
tread55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #1103
J&J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
PM sent we are trying to do some of the trail here some time soon if the gates aren't shut yet. Going with a DR350 and ford bronco,
J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #1104
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
On a Montana you can copy in all of the tracks with out issue. There should not be anything to piece together if all are loaded - it is a continuous set of tracks. Since many of the "roads" on the BRT are not in Garmin's map library - routing would not be possible. If you don't care for your Montana I will send you an iPhone with Google Maps as a trade . All kidding aside you have the most powerful Garmin unit at your disposal -- and the reality is that routes are only useful for well traveled, mapped roads.
I'm going to copy all the tracks and waypoints to my Montana (except the ones along the Parkway), and see what happens. I won't bother converting to routes.
I realize it's a top-of-the-line gps, but it's only my second gps I've ever owned. In a car, I use my phone because the whole process is so much better than with my Montana (which I could easily transfer- it's not permanently mounted on my bike). But, the Montana is pretty tough and the screen is big, and that's why I bought it.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #1105
tread55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Files received

BRT files received. Thank you David for putting this together and sharing so willingly! A donation will be made and if you ever find yourself around Greensboro, NC, drinks are on me!
Cheers,
Brent
tread55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #1106
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Trail

Gpx file received. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #1107
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
Thanks!

Thank you, David - I got your maps. Comprehensive job, good stuff!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #1108
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I will be on a DRZ 400 and am a fairly experienced trail rider. I plan o riding pretty hard to minimize the number of days required.
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #1109
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178

Chris started with a brand new tire
he used A wolfman Tank bag/Rolie and Giant loop Saddlebag, Garmen GPS, primitive camping gear and a lot of nerve to pull this off by him self

www.dualsportarmory.com
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #1110
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Sport Armory View Post

Chris started with a brand new tire
he used A wolfman Tank bag/Rolie and Giant loop Saddlebag, Garmen GPS, primitive camping gear and a lot of nerve to pull this off by him self

www.dualsportarmory.com
I really wish I would've mounted up some of the Moto Z tires you have as well. The only issues during the 2 days were minor gps issues and the rear tire falling apart. I probably could've took it easier on the tire but there is something very satisfying about power sliding a fully loaded xr600 around a turn