ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #1276
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 443
Hey Laura,

Pick a day. I'm ready and have a pretty open schedule right now. Btw I also have a Dr which sits quite a bit. I keep it dosed with marine formula "Stabil" and use non ethanol fuel when ever I can. Sometimes sit for three months or more without carb problems.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Hi Jack,

I'm ready to ride the WMAs some more, too! We weren't that far from the pond that cold rainy day. The "X" on the below map is where we turned around at the old house. I've been neglecting my DR in favor of trials since last Spring, and it thanked me with a pilot jet that was getting clogged with varnish when I went to ride it the other day. And I run it dry between rides and run pure gas in it most of the time. Anyway, got that sorted now. I hope that BBQ restaurant is still open.

redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #1277
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
I need to try that marine formula Stabil. I use Seafoam, but kind of sporadically. Saturdays would work for me for a Ridgeland ride, except for Feb. 22. How about we keep an eye on the forecast around mid-week for the next few weeks and plan accordingly?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #1278
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Hi Laura,

Been using Stabil for years for marine applications and motorcycles. The marine formula addresses the ethanol fuel issues fairly well. I'm sure there are some other brand additives that are effective as well.

I have used sea foam in the past to address carbs that have been sitting as well. My understanding is Sea Foam contains alcohol or something similar and might actually compound Ethanol issues. There fore I will never use it in a good running bike especially if it's going to sit awhile.

I can usually buy non ethanol gas locally and it makes a world of difference. Ethanol is alcohol and as such attracts water like a magnet. The water then causes corrosion in the intake system. I learned a very expensive lesson a few years back on a marine engine. There are some sites on the web that last local stations that carry non ethanol gas.

Saturday's for the next few weeks should work good for me. We can make a weather call by Thursday prior. Hopefully we'll make a better choice then last time.

Jack

Quote:
I need to try that marine formula Stabil. I use Seafoam, but kind of sporadically. Saturdays would work for me for a Ridgeland ride, except for Feb. 22. How about we keep an eye on the forecast around mid-week for the next few weeks and plan accordingly?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1279
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Hi Laura,

Been using Stabil for years for marine applications and motorcycles. The marine formula addresses the ethanol fuel issues fairly well. I'm sure there are some other brand additives that are effective as well.

I have used sea foam in the past to address carbs that have been sitting as well. My understanding is Sea Foam contains alcohol or something similar and might actually compound Ethanol issues. There fore I will never use it in a good running bike especially if it's going to sit awhile.

I can usually buy non ethanol gas locally and it makes a world of difference. Ethanol is alcohol and as such attracts water like a magnet. The water then causes corrosion in the intake system. I learned a very expensive lesson a few years back on a marine engine. There are some sites on the web that last local stations that carry non ethanol gas.

Saturday's for the next few weeks should work good for me. We can make a weather call by Thursday prior. Hopefully we'll make a better choice then last time.

Jack
Yes, I agree that Ethanol is some nasty stuff. A few years ago I had an out-of-warranty Triumph street bike with a polyamide nylon tank that split open on one side while the bike was sitting unridden due to my having an injury. I knew Triumph had stopped using the nylon tanks in favor of metal ones a year or so after my model, and then I read about the lawsuits involving deformed and failed Ducati tanks made out of the same material. The water that the ethanol attracts separates out of the fuel at the bottom of the tank, and the PA6 nylon slurps it up (like that tech jargon? ). I made a goodwill claim with Triumph blaming my tank's failure on the ethanol issue, and they replaced the tank. For a while after that incident, I carried a baby bottle with 10 ml of water around with me to test gas at stations claiming their gas was pure. I soon tired of doing that, but found that "pure gas" is not always that. If a station has a dedicated pump and hose for their pure gas, you've got a much better chance of getting the good stuff. My family runs pure, or at least what we hope is pure, gas in our bikes, chain saws, boats, generators, etc. unless we're on a long dual sport ride and just have to get gas. Going to get me some of that marine formula Stabil and quit with the Seafoam.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #1280
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Sorry for monopolizing this thread and taking it off-subject, but (a) I've been quiet for a lot of months and am just making up for lost time, and (b) the thread has been dead as a doornail anyway for a while so at least we're talking about something pertaining to riding.

Redfishguide, how about this Sunday for BBQ and a WMA ride? Saturday looks wet, but not Sunday. Can anyone else come out and worship at the Church of the Dirt Road? A tall dude I know with an XRL would like to come. Looks like it's small game season, but we wouldn't have to worry about that on a Sunday in the WMAs.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #1281
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

I'm not sure if the BBQ Grill in Ridgeland is open on Sundays and they're not answering the phone tonight, but I'll PM Slidefighter and ask, and call the restaurant again tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #1282
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Laura, if I can get the fork oil changed in the DR Friday, I would love to join you!

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #1283
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Hey Laura,

Sunday should work for me. My buddy Chuck may come as well. Maybe we can entice a few others on this thread.

Jack

Quote:
Sorry for monopolizing this thread and taking it off-subject, but (a) I've been quiet for a lot of months and am just making up for lost time, and (b) the thread has been dead as a doornail anyway for a while so at least we're talking about something pertaining to riding.

Redfishguide, how about this Sunday for BBQ and a WMA ride? Saturday looks wet, but not Sunday. Can anyone else come out and worship at the Church of the Dirt Road? A tall dude I know with an XRL would like to come. Looks like it's small game season, but we wouldn't have to worry about that on a Sunday in the WMAs.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #1284
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Laura, if I can get the fork oil changed in the DR Friday, I would love to join you!
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Hey Laura,

Sunday should work for me. My buddy Chuck may come as well. Maybe we can entice a few others on this thread.

Jack
Sounds good!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #1285
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Well, the BBQ Grill and Dukes BBQ are closed on Sundays. There's a Jasper's Porch that has a Sunday buffet but it has some negative reviews on tripadvisor.com. More importantly, while looking at the weather forecast I noticed a flood warning from the NWS saying the Savannah was 2.7 feet above flood stage at Clyo last night. Here's the full text of it:
Issued by The National Weather Service, Charleston, SC:

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE SAVANNAH RIVER NEAR CLYO. * AT 8 PM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 13.7 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 11.0 FEET. * MINOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING. * FORECAST... THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE TO FALL. * AT 13.3 FEET... ONE FOOT OF WATER COVERS TOM GOETHE ROAD JUST AFTER THE PAVEMENT ENDS.
I emailed the on-site DNR guy at Hamilton Ridge to ask about the road conditions in there and Webb WMA and he said the river swamp areas are flooded, and Fowl Craw Lake is inaccessible. I think even if the water recedes by Sunday, with Saturday's forecast being wet, I doubt they'll open any roads leading towards the river.

With no Q and no getting near the river, I think I'm going to bail on Sunday and wait on a dryer Saturday.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #1286
ummpwr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Where are you all planning on riding? other than to lunch , i might be interested in the afternoon

Eric
ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1287
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oh well looks like I have to work Sunday any how. Lets try again in a week or two.

Jack

Quote:
Well, the BBQ Grill and Dukes BBQ are closed on Sundays. There's a Jasper's Porch that has a Sunday buffet but it has some negative reviews on tripadvisor.com. More importantly, while looking at the weather forecast I noticed a flood warning from the NWS saying the Savannah was 2.7 feet above flood stage at Clyo last night. Here's the full text of it:
Issued by The National Weather Service, Charleston, SC:

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE SAVANNAH RIVER NEAR CLYO. * AT 8 PM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 13.7 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 11.0 FEET. * MINOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING. * FORECAST... THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE TO FALL. * AT 13.3 FEET... ONE FOOT OF WATER COVERS TOM GOETHE ROAD JUST AFTER THE PAVEMENT ENDS.
I emailed the on-site DNR guy at Hamilton Ridge to ask about the road conditions in there and Webb WMA and he said the river swamp areas are flooded, and Fowl Craw Lake is inaccessible. I think even if the water recedes by Sunday, with Saturday's forecast being wet, I doubt they'll open any roads leading towards the river.

With no Q and no getting near the river, I think I'm going to bail on Sunday and wait on a dryer Saturday.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #1288
TDC_ERock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
this weekend

I may have a hall pass one day this weekend. Putting new 50/50 tires on the big DR this week, so looking to get a little dirty. BBQ Grill in Ridgeland again perhaps?
A Little Mexico Trip Day 2
TDC_ERock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #1289
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC_ERock View Post
I may have a hall pass one day this weekend. Putting new 50/50 tires on the big DR this week, so looking to get a little dirty. BBQ Grill in Ridgeland again perhaps?
I wish I could, but have a vintage trials competition in GA this Sat. Was last week's ice storm just a dream? The weather this week has been fantastic!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #1290
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
I wish I could, but have a vintage trials competition in GA this Sat. Was last week's ice storm just a dream? The weather this week has been fantastic!
What part of the state? Or a link?
Thanks.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote