Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #151
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 990
Well- i made it out yesterday with my son. He just got his learners and Historic tags for his XL600R Friday. We drove up thru thurmont and enter via rattlesnake Rd. Man did we have a good time. We rode for about 6.5 hrs and he did great for his first trip. He just starting riding about 6 months ago but has been riding ATVs and racing Go-karts sionce he way 5. He was wooped by the time we got back home. I didnt take but a few pics and will try to post them up in the morning. I cant wait for this summer!!!!!!!

I am very proud of my son. he usually drove the speed limit or 5 under. I dont think i have every seen him more nervous and distraught( not speeled right but oh well).
Attached Images

1Bonehead screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 05:42 PM
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #152
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Good post ddavidv, nice meeting you and your KLR, nice seeing you again too LTC!
That body of water is more than just a lake, that's Long Pine Run Reservoir, it's the water supply for the town of Chambersburg and the surrounding area, it's located east of the intersection of Milesburn Road and Birch Run Road. I'll send along some websites at the bottom of this post that will give you a little more info on it and some other places of interest in Michaux.
Route #1 of my Michaux State Forest/Southcentral PA/ Dual Sport Ride is complete, it covers 67.3 miles of mostly unpaved fire roads. It is the first of seven routes that will include "nearly' every unpaved road that runs in, out and through Michaux and will include a total of 470 miles (possibly more) of both unpaved and paved routes from Mount Holly Springs to Blue Ridge Summit, PA. I have a growing list of riders from this post that will be receiving copies of the routes as I complete them, if you want to be added to the list, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

http://www.stateparks.com/michaux.html
http://www.stateparks.com/caledonia.html
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...caledonia.aspx
http://www.schaeffersite.com/michaux/
http://borough.chambersburg.pa.us/pd...y%20Report.pdf
http://www.stateparks.com/pine_grove_furnace.html
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #153
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,180
Jeff, I am so happy that you have/are mapping your adventures. Thank you for your efforts.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 03:48 PM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #154
LawrenceTheCat
3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer: 148
Good to see you too, Jeff- looking forward to routes and tips. Keep up the good work...uh, actually, it sounds more like fun than work. Perhaps you can notate trails where you didn't get arrested
Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #155
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I would be interested in any trails that are more challenging than just fire roads? If they exist.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #156
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovoidious View Post
I would be interested in any trails that are more challenging than just fire roads? If they exist.
I am not admitting that there are or are not "trails" in Michaux but a small word of advice, don't get caught behind closed gates. We've been stopped no fewer than 3 times by DCNR and every time the last thing said is "you guys know you are allowed on open roads only". Just be careful where you go and realize DCNR is usually heaviest on the weekends and believe or not you'll run into them in some strange places.
Slim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #157
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
I am not admitting that there are or are not "trails" in Michaux but a small word of advice, don't get caught behind closed gates. We've been stopped no fewer than 3 times by DCNR and every time the last thing said is "you guys know you are allowed on open roads only". Just be careful where you go and realize DCNR is usually heaviest on the weekends and believe or not you'll run into them in some strange places.
Yeah legal is key for me. I cant afford the other...at least until I can buy my own piece of property.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #158
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovoidious View Post
Yeah legal is key for me. I cant afford the other...at least until I can buy my own piece of property.
Gotcha, def no legal trails for bikes in Michaux, quads only. Unless you do the DS ride in August or the D7 enduro in September.
Slim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #159
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,180

It's not always a nice day...

DOH...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #160
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,660
the only place I can think of that has legal trails is north to 7 Mountains (I hear these are rocky dirt bike trails), or south to Green Ridge in Md (My buddy loved this place so they must be real easy trails).
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #161
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,278
The Bald Eagle SF dual sport trails are nothing to sneeze at. There is everything from unmaintained dirt roads to you've-got-to-be-kidding-me difficult. About 90 miles of trail, not including all the maintained roads.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #162
LawrenceTheCat
3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer: 148
Well, we have them around here- non posted access right of ways to utilities, power cuts, farm lanes, etc. The biggest enemy to riding unposted trails around solanco is the unfettered dumping of trash and tires. One or two instances, and BAM, another no trespassing post. I suppose low-life scum is everywhere, but I'll bet there are still landowners near the MSF that are ok with a lightly treaded excursion on a jeep trail. And being a local helps, I know some people here, and just being a friendly neighbor calms down an inqisitor who doesn't know his signs are down. Just last week I was out for a burn, following a slow car up a hill near my house- I had had enough, and hit my signal and turned left onto the edge of an unmarked grass field that is the exit from a power cut. I had noticed a car coming up behind, good thing I used my signal- Troop J Stater. I just stopped, expecting a pee-on-the-Cornflakes hassle...he just nodded and passed on by.
Years of riding at Tower City back in the day taught me that the real spots are local knowledge, imparted to the trusted few. One of the sad trail happenings around these parts (Solanco, and other nearby) is the aquisition of land by the enviro-nazis, the Lancaster Conservancy. They somehow are funded to purchace large tracts, they come in, find a plant to declare endangered, and kick everyone out except themselves and hikers. Then, once the bikes and horses are excluded, they dissapear, on to new conquests, I suppose. But there are still some nice places to cut loose on a smaller bike. You gotta have a tag, tho.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #163
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Wicked

Green Ridge ORV in Maryland will be closing permanently on Thursday April 21st, 2011, see www.damnriders.org for more. Several riders there are planning "One Last Time" rides until then! Just so you know LTC, I've never been arrested riding at MSF and I've never been caught either!
I can show you where the trails are, what you do with them is your business.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #164
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
I've never been arrested riding at MSF and I've never been caught either!
I can show you where the trails are, what you do with them is your business.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
One of my favorites is just down the hill from Big Flat. It's a 3 mile long rock garden. Or course I only rode it during the enduro (many times). One year our club helped Penn with the enduro. We got to "pre ride" that section. I took a friend on that trail with his DR400 Dual sport. 3 miles took 40 minutes . We actually had to go back in and find him to make sure he was not trapped under his bike.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #165
bootmud
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great posts guys... very nice.

Definatley don't get caught where ur not allowed in Michaux. If you do you are permanently banned from the yearly off road dual sport enduro they hold. At least that's what I've heard.

On a side note I did the 7 Mts. and the Michaux enduros last year the only two this newbie has ever done... To say the least they both kicked my butt. I did manage to survive though with just a few bruises to the body and ego.
bootmud is offline   Reply With Quote