Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Maps:
Mixhaux SF Public Use Map http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...t/D_000828.pdf
Snowmobile Trail Maps
North http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_002716.pdf
South http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_002712.pdf

ATV Trails http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/D01_ATV_1.pdf
But remember, the ATV trails are only for ATV's (not motorcycles. Not even Street Legal Motorcycles!)
All-Terrain Vehicles are defined as follows:
1. Class 1 ATV A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 1000 pounds.
2. Class 2 ATV A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 1000 pounds.

Recommended Parking (for the ATV trails)
parking lots located at Big Flat along Shippensburg Road about 1-1/4 miles north of its intersection with Route 233 and on Piney Mountain along Bendersville Road south of Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #272
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,373
My recommendation for entering at the north end of Ridge Road was based soley on coming in off the Turnpike.

IMO, the best place to park the truck would be at Caledonia SP, just off Rt 30. That way you would have both halves of the forest quickly available for a couple of hours of riding.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #273
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Hey Gundy:

Your always welcome to park at my place located just off of U.S. Route 30, between Chambersburg (I-81 Exit 16)
and PA Route 233 (entrence to Caledonia State Park). It's a six mile ride from my house to Ridge Road off of PA Route 997 (Black Gap Road), which leads into Michaux. I'm planning on riding my DR in Michaux tomorrow (Sunday 20th), so if you or anyone else is up for a ride then or most any day before the roads ice over, contact me here or send me a PM and we'll set up a time and place to meet.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

1994/1996 Suzuki DR350/441SET Hybrid
2007 Suzuki DL650AK7
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #274
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Thanks, Jeff. We ended up parking at the Caledonia lot, and it worked well. We had a great three hour ride going up Piney Mountain Ridge Road until we hit a gate, then turned left on Bendersville Rd and went down through Pine Grove Furnace, then followed Pine Grove Rd (paved) up to Rt 34, took a left and then got onto Ridge Road. We stayed on that all the way to Shippensburg Rd, took a left and then went south on 233 back to Caledonia. Nice loop with a nice mix of gravel, some rockier sections, and some nice winding pavement. Can't wait to get back and do some more exploring.

A few pics:

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #275
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,012
Looks like fun!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #276
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Gundy:

Glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed your ride in Michaux last Sunday, nice black KLR by the way.
As it turned out I ended up joining a riding buddy of mine and we spent the day riding in nearby Tuscarora State Forest, which also has lots of great forest roads, legal rideable trails and alot less traffic, plus several of the gated roads are opened during the fall for leaf peakers and hunters. After dealing with some health and bike issues this past summer, I'm finally putting the finishing touches on seven routes thru Michaux that will include nearly? all of the unpaved roads in, out and through Michaux, some 235 miles worth, which can be ridden in both directions making for 470 miles in all. If any of you had previously contacted me wanting copies of the routes and I didn't get back to you, please do so again and I'll see to it that you receive them. I'm now working on routes that will link up Michaux, Tuscarora, Buchanan, Rothrock, Bald Eagle, Moshannon, Sproul and Elk State Forests with Allegheny National Forest, part of the TPAT, so if anyone else has a similar interest please let me know and I'd be happy to share my info with you. I'll try again to ride in Michaux this Sunday (27th), anyone else interested?

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #277
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,837
Happy Thanksgiving All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Maps:
Mixhaux SF Public Use Map http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...t/D_000828.pdf
Snowmobile Trail Maps
North http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_002716.pdf
South http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_002712.pdf

ATV Trails http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/D01_ATV_1.pdf
But remember, the ATV trails are only for ATV's (not motorcycles. Not even Street Legal Motorcycles!)
All-Terrain Vehicles are defined as follows:
1. Class 1 ATV A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 1000 pounds.
2. Class 2 ATV A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 1000 pounds.

Recommended Parking (for the ATV trails)
parking lots located at Big Flat along Shippensburg Road about 1-1/4 miles north of its intersection with Route 233 and on Piney Mountain along Bendersville Road south of Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
Thanks TowPro! I am going to copy this post on the first page.
Also, for those who don't know I am going to post your TPAT thread. Tow pro has done a great job with the Trans PA Trail.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Thanks, Jeff. We ended up parking at the Caledonia lot, and it worked well. We had a great three hour ride going up Piney Mountain Ridge Road until we hit a gate, then turned left on Bendersville Rd and went down through Pine Grove Furnace, then followed Pine Grove Rd (paved) up to Rt 34, took a left and then got onto Ridge Road. We stayed on that all the way to Shippensburg Rd, took a left and then went south on 233 back to Caledonia. Nice loop with a nice mix of gravel, some rockier sections, and some nice winding pavement. Can't wait to get back and do some more exploring.
Excellent! Glad you had a good time. Thanks for the photos!
+1 on the Black KLR! Looks really sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Gundy:

Glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed your ride in Michaux last Sunday, nice black KLR by the way.
As it turned out I ended up joining a riding buddy of mine and we spent the day riding in nearby Tuscarora State Forest, which also has lots of great forest roads, legal rideable trails and alot less traffic, plus several of the gated roads are opened during the fall for leaf peakers and hunters. After dealing with some health and bike issues this past summer, I'm finally putting the finishing touches on seven routes thru Michaux that will include nearly? all of the unpaved roads in, out and through Michaux, some 235 miles worth, which can be ridden in both directions making for 470 miles in all. If any of you had previously contacted me wanting copies of the routes and I didn't get back to you, please do so again and I'll see to it that you receive them. I'm now working on routes that will link up Michaux, Tuscarora, Buchanan, Rothrock, Bald Eagle, Moshannon, Sproul and Elk State Forests with Allegheny National Forest, part of the TPAT, so if anyone else has a similar interest please let me know and I'd be happy to share my info with you. I'll try again to ride in Michaux this Sunday (27th), anyone else interested?

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Jeff, once again my friend, you are very generous
Lets hope for a good riding season in 2012! Too much mechanical/health bullshit this year.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #278
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Lets hope for a good riding season in 2012! Too much mechanical/health bullshit this year.
Big +1 on that...it has been a rough year.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #279
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Happy Thanksgiving All!

Thanks TowPro! I am going to copy this post on the first page.
Also, for those who don't know I am going to post your TPAT thread. Tow pro has done a great job with the Trans PA Trail.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

I will have my RV up in that area next spring and summer (as Family plans allow), which means plenty of great riding ahead.
I Hope to proof ride all the western side of the Trans PA Trail several times next year.
Maybe even add more
Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #280
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Rode Michaux Today!

Managed a 100 ride today while checking mileages on my dual sport routes #6 and #7 located south of U.S. Route 30. It was a little chilly (21-38), but at least the sun was shinning. The forest roads were in pretty good shape, all be it a little frozen in places, but all of the deer hunters have smoothed out the surfaces quite a bit. There were alot of cars, trucks and horses, even a DCNR ranger in a white and green SUV, but I was the only bike I saw. I noticed that Piney Mountain Ridge Road has been gated and probably won't open again until the last Friday in May (25th) of 2012, that sucks. Heading back tomorrow around noon to complete route #7, then do it all again in reverse for routes #8 and #9 next. Hopefully this nice late fall weather will continue with a mild winter to follow.

See ya in the mountains,

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #281
labenske
Criminal

Oddometer: 84
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... I'm not far from you all. Seems like every time I go exploring, I end up in PA anyway.

2012 R1200GSA Triple Dirt

If the army still used flame throwers, I'd have never left.
labenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #282
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Managed a 100 ride today while checking mileages on my dual sport routes #6 and #7 located south of U.S. Route 30. It was a little chilly (21-38), but at least the sun was shinning. The forest roads were in pretty good shape, all be it a little frozen in places, but all of the deer hunters have smoothed out the surfaces quite a bit. There were alot of cars, trucks and horses, even a DCNR ranger in a white and green SUV, but I was the only bike I saw. I noticed that Piney Mountain Ridge Road has been gated and probably won't open again until the last Friday in May (25th) of 2012, that sucks. Heading back tomorrow around noon to complete route #7, then do it all again in reverse for routes #8 and #9 next. Hopefully this nice late fall weather will continue with a mild winter to follow.

See ya in the mountains,

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Nice Jeff!. Glad you got the 441 sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labenske View Post
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... I'm not far from you all. Seems like every time I go exploring, I end up in PA anyway.
That's ironic... I end up in WV a good deal of the time when I go exploring!
Welcome aboard the Michaux train.

For those who care... The update on my shoulder is excellent. I will be able to ride. Now all I need to do is fix the fork seal in my Tiger, and it's game on! I have the parts and the time to do the work this weekend.
I'm hoping for a mild winter!!

some oldies....

Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #283
JaxObsessed OP

Happy holidays Michaux friends!!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #284
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Jack:

Nice pack of pooches Jack! I managed six rides in Michaux (so far) in December, hope to add to that later this week. Other than being a little sloopy in places the conditions aren't too bad and the weather has been more like October or November of late. I finished rechecking the mileage on my nine main dual sport routes as of the 22nd, I ended up with 504.8 miles in all, 314.0 miles north of U.S. Route 30 and 190.8 miles to the south, so if you divide the 504.8 miles by 2, you come up with 252.4 miles of both paved and unpaved roads in, out and through Michaux, then by riding them in both directions you end up with 504.8 miles. My next project is to get them all typed up and ready to be sent out. In the mean time I need to recheck both 41.1 mile "Express Routes" and then finally "The Best Of Michaux" routes, with and without Piney Mountain Ridge Road. Hope to see ya back on track soon, stay tuned!

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #285
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Hi Jack:

Nice pack of pooches Jack! I managed six rides in Michaux (so far) in December, hope to add to that later this week. Other than being a little sloopy in places the conditions aren't too bad and the weather has been more like October or November of late. I finished rechecking the mileage on my nine main dual sport routes as of the 22nd, I ended up with 504.8 miles in all, 314.0 miles north of U.S. Route 30 and 190.8 miles to the south, so if you divide the 504.8 miles by 2, you come up with 252.4 miles of both paved and unpaved roads in, out and through Michaux, then by riding them in both directions you end up with 504.8 miles. My next project is to get them all typed up and ready to be sent out. In the mean time I need to recheck both 41.1 mile "Express Routes" and then finally "The Best Of Michaux" routes, with and without Piney Mountain Ridge Road. Hope to see ya back on track soon, stay tuned!

Jeff (SoPaRider)

Awesome Jeff! Looking fwd to those files. As I have time, I will put them into my GPS>

Well I made a stab at riding Michaux yesterday.
This is as close as I got... I was Bruced in the MD tag game and decided that the clouds were looking ominous, low and full o juice.
That is Jack's mountain in the background! :)