pahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #332
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunter View Post
would a Sportster make some of the roads in the park. Thanks Ride Safe Doug
Hi Doug, Short answer... Hell yea. Depends on your skill.

Long answer, You will have to be comfortable with loose footing in spots. depending on the weather, you can run into a good amount of sloppy snotty mud, or freshly graveled roads. Ground clearance should not be a problem on 95% of the roads. I would avoid the northern part of Ridge Road up by Mount Holley Springs, it gets pretty rocky up there. Expect to get your bike filthy

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #333
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
I stuck my nose up a few gravel roads and decided discretion is the better part of valor. They were snotty and not road bike friendly looking, so I rode around the area a while. (corroborated by JDub, see above)
You, sir, are a wise man!
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #334
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 694
Jax,

great winter for riding, diggin the thread and congrats on the new bike

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #335
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,617
Jeepers creepers! I can not believe it's been a year since that day trip.

I need to play hooky more often :)
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #336
pahunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks Jax
pahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #337
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
You, sir, are a wise man!
cept for when my inner 13 year old shows his intellect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
Jax,

great winter for riding, diggin the thread and congrats on the new bike
Thanks Joe!! I'm diggin the Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
Jeepers creepers! I can not believe it's been a year since that day trip.

I need to play hooky more often :)
Yes you do!!! :+)>
Dude time is flying so fast, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunter View Post
Thanks Jax
My pleasure Sir.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #338
pos90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Today was an absolutely beautiful day for a ride. Rattlesnake was completely dry and the lower 2/3 of Ridge Rd. was mostly dry. If we don't heavy rain tonight I'll probably go up again tomorrow.
pos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #339
vwlandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
i may be riding around those dirt roads tomorrow if its not raining. supposed to be super nice temp wise
vwlandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #340
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos90 View Post
Today was an absolutely beautiful day for a ride. Rattlesnake was completely dry and the lower 2/3 of Ridge Rd. was mostly dry. If we don't heavy rain tonight I'll probably go up again tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlandon View Post
i may be riding around those dirt roads tomorrow if its not raining. supposed to be super nice temp wise

I'm so jealous!
I'm stuck in the cube farm from 0800 to 1700 so

Enjoy!
Welcome pos.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #341
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Been lovin' this thread!

I haven't been to Michaux since I was 17 and hiked through on the AT in May of '74.

Now I'm psyched for a trip down the Appalachians from A-town area into Michaux for some riding & fly fishing, I'm thinking late spring or early summer - definately will plan for when the water conditions are perfect.

Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #342
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Michaux, love that place. My Mom would take my brother and I to Fuller lake when we were kids, she'd grill burgers while we swam. I've camped and raced mtn bikes there later in life. I live about an hour a way and make it a point to get there at least once a summer.
4power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #343
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
My bets are it will never happen.
1) they say ATV's cause less erosion because of larger tire contact patch. (although from what I have seen, horses cause more erosion then dirt bikes and they are allowed into the ATV areas).
2) The Snowmobiles and ATV's are registered in the State, with that money going to support the trails. Plus these groups are organized with representation within the state. Dirt bikes are not (but they are working on it).
3) Your street bike pays registration fees, but that money goes to fix the roads, not support the trails. It's not allowed on the State Trails either. (but is allowed on any road that is open)
4) The general attitude of the state of PA is that dirt-bikers are criminals. They chase enough of them in the State Forrest to help enforce that attitude

the state of PA has been trying to get private (or anybody but them) to host space where "shared space" for dirt bikes and everything else with a motor.
Lets see how this place works out as an example.
http://www.anthraciteadventure.com/pages/

I bet once they see that money can be made (look at Hatfield McCoy), they might then change there laws and include Dirt Bikes.

but you do know that there is organized events where you can ride your dirt bike in state forests in PA correct? Both Dual sports and Enduros. A good thing about them is everybody is going the same direction, you don't have to worry about some giant side by side ATV racing towards at speeds way to fast to be safe, with the rider not even thinking someone might be coming the other way
The thing I've never been able to figure out is why dirt bikes are specifically excluded within Michaux SF, yet they are legal in several other PA SFs. Strange double standard going on within the state forest administration it would seem, or maybe they think the dirt of south central PA is more prone to erosion from skinny tires than the dirt in other parts of the state?
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #344
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
The thing I've never been able to figure out is why dirt bikes are specifically excluded within Michaux SF, yet they are legal in several other PA SFs. Strange double standard going on within the state forest administration it would seem, or maybe they think the dirt of south central PA is more prone to erosion from skinny tires than the dirt in other parts of the state?
I am not sure on this one, but I think that the local administration of each State Forests has the ability to make some of there own rules. But keep in mind these people love there jobs, and they know that bucking the administration above them can be a "Resume Generating Event". With that said, I think the State Forests that allow bikes (2 that I know of, and only 1 of them allows unlicensed I think) is an experiment. I understand all the trail work is done by private clubs (Patra?) and the only time spend by the forest rangers is monitoring trail conditions and (hopefully not) chasing people leaving the dedicated trail system. I (think) I just read the state is planning changing Bald Eagle so riding stops in August (as to not interfere with hunting season?). Denny can fill us in on that one.

I have ridden the enduro in Michaux several times, there is some nice dirt bike riding in there. I would be willing to pay $50.00 per year like I pay WV when I go to Hatfield McCoy trails. But there will have to be enforcement like Spark Arestors and noise level checks. I relize most of us GAS (Give A Shit) but there is a group that will always be outlaws.
That group can spoil it for everyone else.

but (most) of the State Forest do allow motorcycles during specific events like enduros, dual sports, and of course ADV bikes on roads open to the public.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #345
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,012
To all those PA people. Bald eagle is not looking good for motorcyclers soon. Apparently PA is thinking of making it quad only.

Get involved and make yourselves heard!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote