Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #1036
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I had great ride last evening in Michaux with Denny, Rich and Zack, it was a little soggy, but that didn't hurt the ride a bit!

I got started a little early yesterday, 3:30 P.M., and finshed riding all of the unpaved state forest and township roads that run in, out and through Michaux after two days of riding. I filled my DR441s's 2.4 gallon tank fours time after about 65 or 70 miles each for a total of about 260 to 280 miles, which also includes the paved connector roads. Two roads were gated, Teaberry Road to the south (not sure why?) and Piney Mountain Ridge Road to the north, it's scheduled to reopen on the last Friday in May, the 31st this year!

Next up I'm planning on riding all of the same roads above in both directions over two days as well, 502.9 miles worth (315.2 unpaved miles and 187.7 paved miles) plus the paved connector roads. I'm planning the ride for Saturday the 22nd (235.1+ miles) and Sunday the 23rd (267.8+ miles) of June, to celebrate the Summer Soltice which arrives on Friday the 21st at 1:04 A.M.! Sunrise is at 5:43 A.M. and sunset is at 8:43 P.M. on both days, so there should be at least 15+ hours of daylight available to do the ride in each day. If your interested in joining me, I plan on leaving a half hour prior to sunrise (5:13 A.M.) from the Sheetz store at the intersection of U.S. Route 11 (Philadelphia Avenue) and PA Route 997 (Black Gap Road) on both mornings. This ain't no flower sniffin' ride!!!!

Jeff (SoPaRider)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #1037
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

This message was posted on the Michaux State Forest Facebook page on Thursday May 2nd, 2013:

Please be aware that the Guilford Water Authority will begin construction of a new 24" water main in and along Ridge Road in Greene Township on Monday May 13, 2013. The project will require that the road be closed between PA Rt. 997 (Black Gap Rd.) and Sandy Sod at the top of the mountain between the hours of 7:00 A.M. and 4:40 P.M., Monday through Friday for a period of two to three weeks. Please contact the Authority office at 717-263-2813 for more information.
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #1038
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,969
How many threads does Jax have............

Hey SoPA
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1039
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
How many threads does Jax have............
Post whore? Thread whore?

He can't make up his mind.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #1040
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,313

You know I have photos of both of you in, let's say, compromising positions.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #1041
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post

Inappropriate, keep this up and I may have to Report, REPORT!
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #1042
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post

what happens in camp should stay in camp..........
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #1043
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
what happens in camp should stay in camp..........
I agree with Scott.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1044
GRMFR
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Piney Ridge Road

Hey Guys,
Been following this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you guys have gathered. My buddy and I were out riding some of these roads yesterday, we rode up old railroad road to piney ridge road to find the gates closed, we were followed up there by a DCNR officer who very politely told us we were about two weeks early to ride Piney Ridge Road. He gave us a map and some pointers where to pick up the dirt roads. The name on his badge was Anderson real nice guy. He said that road is closed for turkey propagation.

Thanks again for all the info.
GRMFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #1045
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMFR View Post
Hey Guys,
Been following this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you guys have gathered. My buddy and I were out riding some of these roads yesterday, we rode up old railroad road to piney ridge road to find the gates closed, we were followed up there by a DCNR officer who very politely told us we were about two weeks early to ride Piney Ridge Road. He gave us a map and some pointers where to pick up the dirt roads. The name on his badge was Anderson real nice guy. He said that road is closed for turkey propagation.

"Turkey propagation" is the PC way to say "cut down on poaching." Lots of Hoofdies around here who think every day is hunting season.

Paebr332 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 08:41 AM
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #1046
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Denny won't be able to make this Thursdays ride, so I'll be filling in for him. We're scheduled to leave Caledonia Power Sports, east of Caledonia State Park at 6:00 P.M., if anyone wants to meet earlier in the day, send me a PM and we'll set up a place and time to meet.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'96 DR350/441SET
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #1047
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMFR View Post
Hey Guys,

Just reinforces the nice experience I had with them last year!

Personally I respect a polite officer/person much more than a rude one, the latter remind me of high-school bullies...
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1048
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,091
It's 1:45 Sunday 19th May, and it's foggy again up here on Ridge Road! Photos aren't uploading to Picasa very well, even with a strong signal, but I hope to have some images up soon.

Beautiful vista of the Cumberland Valley.

Why is it lately that Tuscarora and Bald Eagle have been sunny for me, but Michaux fogs up? Sheesh! Ridge and Cold Springs Roads.
Onwards, going west from the intersection with Cold Springs Road....

Top end of Milesburg Road.

Now I'm sitting by the reservoir near Caledonia. Peaceful, but more traffic here than anywhere in the state forest!

And now, before I head into the southernmost part of Michaux, a stop at La Mattinas for coffee and a snack. Never been here before.

Finished and have been sitting here a while. Have they forgotten they had a customer? I doubt it's free. BTW, the toilet seat assembly topples off with nary a nudge.

I finally saw another motorcyclist! He was on fairly new white KLR 990, and hails from Chambersburg. We stopped and chatted, and I gave him SF maps for Michaux, Tuscarora and Bald Eagle (I always carry extras). I forgot to take a photo. Then I rode around in lower Michaux, never quite reaching PA16, and turning around at a couple of closed gates.

Time to return to Carlisle, but it was posted on ADVrider that Piney Ridge Road is closed for "turkey propagation," so I'll go go through the apple orchards of Admas County instead. I stopped here to use a good cellular signal.

Is there a faster way home?

On Coon Road, I turned towards Pine Grove Furnace State Park through Michaux. I hadn't checked the south end of Piney Ridge Road (at US30), but here's the north end with the gate closed (left).

Alas, I slab home on I81 from PA233. All good things must come to an end, but there's always next time!

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 04:18 PM Reason: Added material as I rode along, and cleaned it up when I got home.
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #1049
Crichton
Dog With Two Bones

Oddometer: 4
Thumb

Thanks for the maps Fred

2012 990 Adventure R
Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #1050
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.