SCJ, love those ol Yamijammies.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #1097
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
SCJ, love those ol Yamijammies.

Old!? My xt500 is my second newest bike! My newest bike is a 10 year old Ural... which was already dated when it was brand new.

Thanks for the complement, I'm pretty sure I'll never 'upgrade'. I like the old thumper too much.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #1098
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
love the old xt500. I have a 74 yamaha 360 2 smoke
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1099
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Thumb Weekly Michaux Ride

I am back from my WV trip and ready to ride. We will start @ 6:00 from the Caledonia Power Sports.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #1100
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,143
TowPro, Did I see you on PA305 just south of MacAlevy's Fort yesterday?
The BMW rider with Hiviz gear stood out dramatically from the harleys and harley lookalikes with nekked pirates.

I was in Michaux on Saturday afternoon. Making for State College, I managed to ride Michaux Tuscarora and Rothrock .

What bike.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #1101
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
TowPro, Did I see you on PA305 just south of MacAlevy's Fort yesterday?
The BMW rider with Hiviz gear stood out dramatically from the harleys and harley lookalikes with nekked pirates.

I was in Michaux on Saturday afternoon. Making for State College, I managed to ride Michaux Tuscarora and Rothrock .
No, not me. I was near Fort McCord (different fort) a couple times during the week (mornings) as I dropped out of Buchannan State Forest on Gilbert Road.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #1102
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some 'real' photos of my ride from June 30. I posted some crappy cell phone pics on the previous page, but these are the 'nice' ones:

This is the overlook on Stillhouse Hollow Road:

Here is my 1979 xt500, with BradyD's identical bike on the background to the left:

All 3 bikes on District Rd, just north of Carabaugh Reservior:

Another shot from the same spot of District Rd. That's my Dad's 1978 xt500 with the helmet and bag:

This is what we found after BradyD lost his rear brake. There were NO brake shoes left... just these crumbs. I have a spare set... but they were home in the garage. He rode the rest of the day (about 100 miles) without a rear brake.

That was a good day. I cant wait to go back...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1103
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

I was wondering, are there any rough / un-maintained roads in Michaux? I have not come across any, but I have not made it up to the most northern part of the forest yet.

If anyone knows of more rough roads/trails (maybe with some water crossings!?) near Michaux, Tuscarora, or farther south I would love to hear about them.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1104
10ecjed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Hey Jax

Hey, Ive not been active on the ATV site except reading some ride reports. I ride the mountains here in MD a lot and am interested in riding the Michaux State park.
I was there a couple weeks ago on my XS650 but do not know my way around there very well. Could not find any non paved roads where I was at. Your rides look great. Can you give me advice on where to go so I do not have to read all 74 pages of post? Or better yet, let me tag along with you one day. I love the non pavement mountain roads. They make me want to put some knobbies on the old bike. But I do ok with my street Dunlops.
Thanks
10ecjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1105
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Jax,

Would you mind sharing your Michaux to State college ride route?

I live near Michaux, and my girlfriend's family lives in State College... so I make the drive up 322 a lot. I have been trying to plan a mostly dirt ride to go back and forth, through Michaux, Tuscarora, and Rothrock. I have some pretty good tracks layed out, but having never actually done the ride, your input would really help. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #1106
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Jax,

I live near Michaux, and my girlfriend's family lives in State College... so I make the drive up 322 a lot. I have been trying to plan a mostly dirt ride to go back and forth, through Michaux, Tuscarora, and Rothrock. I have some pretty good tracks layed out, but having never actually done the ride, your input would really help. Thanks!
Check out the Trans PA Trail thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569
view it backwards. Day 4 passes near State Collage and Day 5 continues to Michaux.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #1107
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
I was wondering, are there any rough / un-maintained roads in Michaux? I have not come across any, but I have not made it up to the most northern part of the forest yet.

If anyone knows of more rough roads/trails (maybe with some water crossings!?) near Michaux, Tuscarora, or farther south I would love to hear about them.
The forest rangers in Tuscarora and Michaux seem to either maintain the unpaved roads, or lock the gates to them. The northern end of Ridge Road with the steep incline outside of the Michaux state forest boundary was awful/wonderful until last year when the township regraded it, but happily, it is being neglected as water runs it's course down the roadbed and is returning to it's natural state! Cold Spring Road is nicely deteriorating north of Pine Grove Furnace.

The switchbacks on the east end of Bower Mountain Road in Tuscarora are fun, and from there, cut down Wolf Road. Meadow Road has grass growing in it. Other than those, things are well graded and graveled or gated shut for ATV use. If you ignore the gates, there are lots of trails, but I'm done with that and my F800GS is too heavy for that stuff.

Go north, to Bald Eagle State Forest, and you shall find gold. Tip: use Hower Gap Road over Shade Mountain on the way north and you will be riding in water in the spring and early summer.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #1108
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,143
Quote:

Bieseger Gap in so Michaux is infamously rough.

I know there is a creek crossing in FredForest or Catoctin, I just can't remember the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
Hey, Ive not been active on the ATV site except reading some ride reports. I ride the mountains here in MD a lot and am interested in riding the Michaux State park.
I was there a couple weeks ago on my XS650 but do not know my way around there very well. Could not find any non paved roads where I was at. Your rides look great. Can you give me advice on where to go so I do not have to read all 74 pages of post? Or better yet, let me tag along with you one day. I love the non pavement mountain roads. They make me want to put some knobbies on the old bike. But I do ok with my street Dunlops.
Thanks
Hey 10, the best documented routes on paper are done by SoPaRider. He has routed 15 different rides with EVERY legal unpaved road in Michaux. PM him to get your copies.
TowPro's TPAT is a GREAT resource.

I almost never know when I am riding to PA. I take my chances when I can get them. There are a mess of folks in this thread who are availble though!
In fact, DennyMann regularly leads a ride on a weekday. You will also find that SoPaRider needs very little excuse to go riding.

Quote:
Jax,

TowPro has done all the work on that!!!! If you choose Bear Meadows Road to exit Rothrock, it will put you in Boalsburg. All my ol stomping ground....

Thanks for posting your photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Check out the Trans PA Trail thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569
view it backwards. Day 4 passes near State Collage and Day 5 continues to Michaux.

^^^^What He said. ^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
The forest rangers in Tuscarora and Michaux seem to either maintain the unpaved roads, or lock the gates to them. The northern end of Ridge Road with the steep incline outside of the Michaux state forest boundary was awful/wonderful until last year when the township regraded it, but happily, it is being neglected as water runs it's course down the roadbed and is returning to it's natural state! Cold Spring Road is nicely deteriorating north of Pine Grove Furnace.

The switchbacks on the east end of Bower Mountain Road in Tuscarora are fun, and from there, cut down Wolf Road. Meadow Road has grass growing in it. Other than those, things are well graded and graveled or gated shut for ATV use. If you ignore the gates, there are lots of trails, but I'm done with that and my F800GS is too heavy for that stuff.

Go north, to Bald Eagle State Forest, and you shall find gold. Tip: use Hower Gap Road over Shade Mountain on the way north and you will be riding in water in the spring and early summer.

Fred
Thanks for the updates Fred!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #1109
10ecjed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thanks Jax. I appreciate the advice.
There is a creek crossing off of Mountain Dale Rd in the Catoctin mountains. I allmost dropped the XS in there Sunday. Got a little wet. It's all fun though. I know those roads pretty well. They are just not long enough.
10ecjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #1110
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
If anyone else would like to help us locate the last remaining unpaved non-state forest roads remainng in southcentral PA, please chime in!
Sounds like a plan! I'm concentrating on Cumberland County, and working in Basecamp.

Fred
Carlisle (Middlesex)
I'm finally done this little project. Where do I put the .gpx file? Don't get excited; there were fewer unpaved roads in Cumberland County than I expected.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote