Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #1186
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Looks like it may be time for me to head back over to Michaux. That trail looks interesting, and maybe even legal.

Edit: Found Bricker Clearing Trail on the SF map. According to the map, it is a drivable trail and legal for use.
I was curious about this trail too, and yesterday drove by its southern start at Rt. 233 near Oak Road and the PSU Mont Alto campus. All gated and closed unfortunately; Lupin 3rd must have gotten lucky and hit it when the gates were open.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #1187
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Isn't Garmin great for discovering new roads?
Pulled a similar stunt on me when I was in WV near Great Cacapon, on Mountain Rd (renamed get-lost-gully by the locals).

Quote:
Anyway, I don't ride alone when doing this kind of exploring.

Fred
Same here, I was really tempted but unfortunately I had to turn around: 1.8 miles of mud on a 400lbs bike pushed by a fat ol' turd? Ehhhhh, not going to end well!

It looked OK from the South end, if I had entered from there I might have tried the whole trail... And you know, with a group of riders... that could be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
I was curious about this trail too, and yesterday drove by its southern start at Rt. 233 near Oak Road and the PSU Mont Alto campus. All gated and closed unfortunately; Lupin 3rd must have gotten lucky and hit it when the gates were open.
Unless I missed something obvious, there were no signs or closed gates on the way. Saw a few people but didn't get any WTF-are-you-doing-here looks or GTFO before I call the cops... must be because I'm such a nice guy!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #1188
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Pulled a similar stunt on me when I was in WV near Great Cacapon, on Mountain Rd (renamed get-lost-gully by the locals).

Same here, I was really tempted but unfortunately I had to turn around: 1.8 miles of mud on a 400lbs bike pushed by a fat ol' turd? Ehhhhh, not going to end well!

It looked OK from the South end, if I had entered from there I might have tried the whole trail... And you know, with a group of riders... that could be fun!

Unless I missed something obvious, there were no signs or closed gates on the way. Saw a few people but didn't get any WTF-are-you-doing-here looks or GTFO before I call the cops... must be because I'm such a nice guy!

Might be extra access because the Enduro is next weekend
Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #1189
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thumbs down Bricker's Clearing Trail

I hate to bust everyone's bubble but I asked Neal Mishler the Michaux Assistant District Forester in an email about the Bricker's Clearing Trail and below is his response. They need to change the map because it is confusing.

Neal

Is it ok to drive on Bricker’s Clearing Trail?

Thanks
Denny Mann

No motorized, only bikes or horses. The trail also crosses private land.

Neal Mishler
nmishler@pa.gov
Phone: 717-352-2211
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #1190
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Mann View Post
I hate to bust everyone's bubble but I asked Neal Mishler the Michaux Assistant District Forester in an email about the Bricker's Clearing Trail and below is his response. They need to change the map because it is confusing.

Neal

Is it ok to drive on Bricker’s Clearing Trail?

Thanks
Denny Mann

No motorized, only bikes or horses. The trail also crosses private land.

Neal Mishler
nmishler@pa.gov
Phone: 717-352-2211

FYI, both Garmin and Bing maps show Brickers Clearing Trail as a "drivable" road. Google maps only shows the southern end. I had not set the trail as a waypoint on my GPS, and my route was set as "Driving", not walking or anything else.

My main reference is the Michaux Public use map, linked to by TowPro. PDF document "D_000828.pdf", it shows Brickers Clearing Trail as a "DRIVABLE TRAIL". It is not listed on the Snowmobile Trail maps for Michaux South.
I'm pointing this out for two reasons:
1. because I saw other vehicles at the north end of the trail. The white Range Rover at the beginning of my video who had probably followed his GPS and had to turn around, and a couple 4x4s that came by while I wasn't recording.
2. if it hadn't been for the mud pools (and my limitations ) I would have definitely ridden the trail and would think about going back again.

Denny, thanks for posting correct information. Hope this helps other riders.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1191
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,659
Note to self:
leave earlier.
I got stuck in Shippinsburg traffic (forgot that shippinburg road is called Queen street in town).
Pulled in Big Flat parking lot, GPS said 6:05. guy in parking lot said "Denny left 1 minute ago". I did not pass the group coming into parking lot, and there is 100's of miles of roads up there, no way to try to catch up. :(

Oh well, next trip back up to the area with a bike is 10/19
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #1192
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
FYI, both Garmin and Bing maps show Brickers Clearing Trail as a "drivable" road. Google maps only shows the southern end. I had not set the trail as a waypoint on my GPS, and my route was set as "Driving", not walking or anything else.

My main reference is the Michaux Public use map, linked to by TowPro. PDF document "D_000828.pdf", it shows Brickers Clearing Trail as a "DRIVABLE TRAIL". It is not listed on the Snowmobile Trail maps for Michaux South.

I'm pointing this out for two reasons:
1. because I saw other vehicles at the north end of the trail. The white Range Rover at the beginning of my video who had probably followed his GPS and had to turn around, and a couple 4x4s that came by while I wasn't recording.
2. if it hadn't been for the mud pools (and my limitations ) I would have definitely ridden the trail and would think about going back again.

Denny, thanks for posting correct information. Hope this helps other riders.
Conflicting info needs to be addressed, and the real world prohibitions need to be clear. imho The powers that be must make the closed roads/trails OBVIOUSLY closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Note to self:
leave earlier.
I got stuck in Shippinsburg traffic (forgot that shippinburg road is called Queen street in town).
Pulled in Big Flat parking lot, GPS said 6:05. guy in parking lot said "Denny left 1 minute ago". I did not pass the group coming into parking lot, and there is 100's of miles of roads up there, no way to try to catch up. :(

Oh well, next trip back up to the area with a bike is 10/19
Strike out on your own.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #1193
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Conflicting info needs to be addressed, and the real world prohibitions need to be clear. imho The powers that be must make the closed roads/trails OBVIOUSLY closed.

Strike out on your own.
I did. Its easy to find an hour of nice back country twisty roads between Big Flat and where my RV is parked.

another reason I went for the LC4 over an EXC. They are just as happy on the blacktop as they are on the stone/dirt roads.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #1194
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

TowPro Sorry!!!

I have a meeting in the fall after our Enduro with the Michaux District Forest people and I will discuss the issue of maps stating Drivable Trail when they are not. I can not see how they could ticket anyone for driving on Bricker's Clearing Trail as long as the map shows it as a Drivable Trail.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #1195
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I did. Its easy to find an hour of nice back country twisty roads between Big Flat and where my RV is parked.

another reason I went for the LC4 over an EXC. They are just as happy on the blacktop as they are on the stone/dirt roads.
I knew you would.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #1196
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
I ended up on Bricker Clearing Trail the first time I wandered around in Michaux just over a year ago. Nice little trail, but I had a feeling I wasn't supposed to be there even though the Garmin led me to it.

How's it goin' Jack?
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #1197
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
The official Michaux SF map (the foldable one you can pick up at the Caledonia SP visitor's center) doesn't show gates at either end of Bricker Clearing Trail either, but as I posted earlier I found there was indeed a gate at the southern end. That gate being closed was the only thing that kept me from heading up the trail last weekend as I didn't see any signs posted about no vehicles allowed. I agree the maps need corrected.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #1198
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,042
Gate openings: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/deer/openroads/

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1199
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Here you can find a list of State Forest roads, normally closed to vehicle traffic, which will be open to hunters between the dates indicated for 2012-2013 hunting season.

remember, there is no hunting in PA on Sundays
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1200
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Thursday Evening Adventure Ride

This week we are back to 5:00 starting at Caledonia Power Sports.