Agreed Fred!

I got out a bit yesterday.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #1217
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
The wife and I were out Saturday. But we headed north (from Roxbury). The north sides of the mountains were the most colorful. From Jacks Mountain the view was clowdy and mostly green .
The ride would have been even better if the sun hadd been out (and it hadn't rained from Dones Bones to top of Raystown lake).

I hopefully will be back this weekend on the KTM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #1218
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,238
Nice color in those photos. Now is the time to ride the forests for brilliant foliage. I was in Bald Eagle SF a few days ago, and it is stunning!

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #1219
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
A friend and I are making our first trip to Michaux this Saturday. We live in the Lebanon/Lancaster area. Any suggestions for the best gravel/dirt roads to hit? We are on a r1200gsa and multistrada 1200, just fitted some TKC80s on the multi. Looking to find some fun roads or trails. Any suggestions are welcome.
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1220
FredRydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFarkle View Post
...suggestions are welcome.
Start with the map: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...t/D_000828.pdf Pick up the paper copy at a state forest office/maintenance shop, or one of the two state parks offices (Pine Grove Furnace SP and Caledonia SP). The maintenance shops have a little box attached to their buildings with the maps in them.

Where to go depends on your approach. North of US30 to PA34, the forest roads primarily follow the ridges, while those northwest of Caledonia SP and south of US30 tend to meander. Right now, they are all beautiful. I am partial to climbing Ridge Road west from Mount Holly Springs, but only because that's where I always begin. You really can't go wrong with any choice.

One suggestion. West of York, get off US30 and onto PA234 to save yourself a lot of traffic grief.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 06:50 PM
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #1221
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I rode through Michaux yesterday, but was too busy enjoying the roads and fall scenery to take any photos. My ride was all pavement though, because I went with a friend who has a sport bike. Here was our route:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...30458,0.350189

The section south east of 233 and north west of 15 was AMAZING. I had never explored that area before, but the roads are twisty and the scenery is beautiful. We rode past a bunch of farms, several orchards, and through the windy mountain roads. The southernmost part of this section is called the "Emmitsburg Watershed"... I'm sure some of you are familiar with it, but if not check it out NOW.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #1222
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,723
Oo, I gotta ride that route.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #1223
FredRydr

Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

You rode through what is commonly known as "Northern Adams County." There's plenty more of the same in a triangle bound on the east by PA 34, on the south by US 30, and on the northwest by the mountains. Add to that the adjacent area where you were, which is essentially south of the mountains and north of a line drawn from Dillsburg to Biglerville. Typically they are twisty roads in the orchards. There are lots of great views from the hilltops and ridges.

Fred
Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #1224
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
You rode through what is commonly known as "Northern Adams County." There's plenty more of the same in a triangle bound on the east by PA 34, on the south by US 30, and on the northwest by the mountains. Add to that the adjacent area where you were, which is essentially south of the mountains and north of a line drawn from Dillsburg to Biglerville. Typically they are twisty roads in the orchards. There are lots of great views from the hilltops and ridges.

Fred
Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually planning a weekend dual sport (mostly dirt) ride up through Michaux and Tuscarora. We will probably be crossing over from Michaux to Tuscarora somewhere between Shippensburg and Carlisle. I have never been in that area, except on 81 or 76... so if you have any good roads or routes in mind I would like to hear about them. They don't have to be dirt, but twisty back roads would be preferred. Right now, I'm just making the route based off of what looks good on Google Maps...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #1225
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually planning a weekend dual sport (mostly dirt) ride up through Michaux and Tuscarora. We will probably be crossing over from Michaux to Tuscarora somewhere between Shippensburg and Carlisle. I have never been in that area, except on 81 or 76... so if you have any good roads or routes in mind I would like to hear about them. They don't have to be dirt, but twisty back roads would be preferred. Right now, I'm just making the route based off of what looks good on Google Maps...
Go to this thread, page 1, and download some files :)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

Several of Jeff's "best of Michaux" routes in the package. Plus then you can follow the TPAT backwards from Michaux to Tuscarora. Sorry I don't have any routes in Tuscarora to give you.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #1226
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the info. Once I thoroughly explore Tuscarora, I'll post up some routes. I live pretty close to Michaux, so I want to make some routes to link the two up.

There are so many windy roads in Tuscarora, its hard to compare the official State forest map to Google Maps and Garmin and find out exactly what is what... they are all slightly different...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #1227
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Thanks for the tip!

I'm kind of thinking about that area for this Sunday also. Haven't been out on the XT500 in weeks, so Tuscarora would be good. I've explored and know my way around some of it, but I'm sure there are parts of it I haven't been in.

What day were you going? Maybe we could meet up somewhere.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #1228
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

This Sunday I'm showing my Dad and a friend of mine around Michaux.

I'm going to try to cover as much of it as possible in 1 day. All 3 of us have xt500's.

I wont be making it to Tuscarora this weekend though...

This is going to be our route (it starts at alternate 40 to protect the location of my house, but we are leaving from Frederick):

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...60393,0.704498

We'll be at the gas station at the intersection of 16 and Ft Ritchie Access Rd, in Blue Ridge Summit, around 11:00 (11-ish, it depends on whether or not we have a breakdown... my friend's Xt500 is not so reliable... and how side-tracked we get). We will then be heading NORTH along the east side of the loop.

If you see a group of 3 XT500's wave us down and we'll stop.

Here are the bikes, so you know what to look for:

Also, we may not stick to the route. Since it hunting season, i'm hoping that a lot of the yellow gated roads will be OPEN... in which case we'll be exploring as many of those as we can find. This isn't going to be an organized ride... were just going to go exploring and i'll be showing my friend around some of the roads I like.

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 10:59 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #1229
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 616
Maybe we can make it four XT500s then! Would be cool to ride with other XT500s. You can't miss my XT500, aka the "Rotten Banana":

We run the same basic routing from Middletown up to BRS and usually gas up at the corner of 16 and Ritchie Access before we wander off into the forest. Could definitely meet you in Braddock Heights or somewhere else.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350

MZRider screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 08:34 AM
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #1230
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

So its going to be an xt500 rally in Michaux this weekend! You have to ride yours...