User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Who has PCV on F800GS?

Has anyone installed a PCV + Autotune on their F800GS?

I'm thinking this is the way to go to fix the off idle twitch and low speed hesitations. But, I can't seem to locate a thread on this. Surely someone has already been there and done that. Please advise..,

I just purchased my F8 about 3 weeks ago, at the Falling Leaf Rally. Yeah....made the mistake of riding that Demo. Rode that sucker all the way home!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
I put one of these babies on and have never looked back.
Accelerator.
Works as designed.
Lovin my F800GS on the road, or not ().

Nice purchase!
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Ditto.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

What did this Accelerator cost you? I've never been able to sort Euros...

Please explain the changes/benefits it produced for you.

And....I'm still looking for that PCV feedback....

I'm currently running the PCV + AT unit on a Yamaha WR250R with excellent results. The AutoTune comes with a "Wideband" O2 sensor. Figured that would be a better replacement for the Narrowband sensor on the stock issued F8, because they are faster responding (so I've been told).

Also feel like the stock motor is way too lean off bottom. Think that's why it has so much on/off Snatch. Plus, my bike hesitates (bogs) off bottom in 2nd gear.....right after I make the shift and roll on some throttle, there is a noticeable soft spot. It even pitches me forward slightly in the saddle. I've got to get rid of that.

Does this Accelerator solve that issue? How and where does it plug in? If there is a thread on this, please point me to it. I'm new in this community, but not new to ADV. So, I'm a fast learner....

Thanks for any & all input!

HF

p.s Best organized group I've ever come across in ADV. I'm very impressed with the resource everyone has built here. Glad to become a part of it.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
SKON
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little
I put one of these babies on and have never looked back.
Accelerator.
Works as designed.
Lovin my F800GS on the road, or not ().

Nice purchase!
Me too.Bargain of da year
Ps.I got the extended one!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Has anyone installed a PCV + Autotune on their F800GS?

I'm thinking this is the way to go to fix the off idle twitch and low speed hesitations. But, I can't seem to locate a thread on this. Surely someone has already been there and done that. Please advise..,

I just purchased my F8 about 3 weeks ago, at the Falling Leaf Rally. Yeah....made the mistake of riding that Demo. Rode that sucker all the way home!

HF
So THAT'S where our F8GS demo went!

This weekend we are doing a haloween ride including riding over the impassable pass, and my bike is down awaiting parts till Tuesday.

I figured, no biggie, ill just ride our F8 demo, but couldn't find it. Now I'm going to be stuck on a lowered G650GS demo.

For what it's worth, we demo'd a PCV on YOUR bike and were not impressed, at least not considering the cost.

Enjoy the bike! I'll be missing it this weekend, that's for sure :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
See my inputs below...

Quote:
What did this Accelerator cost you? I've never been able to sort Euros...
About $50 (I just got the short pigtail).

Please explain the changes/benefits it produced for you.
Took the lean condition out of it off idle and just off throttle. Enriched the low end. Runs like it should've out of the factory. No negative impact on MPG.

And....I'm still looking for that PCV feedback....

I'm currently running the PCV + AT unit on a Yamaha WR250R with excellent results. The AutoTune comes with a "Wideband" O2 sensor. Figured that would be a better replacement for the Narrowband sensor on the stock issued F8, because they are faster responding (so I've been told).

Also feel like the stock motor is way too lean off bottom. Think that's why it has so much on/off Snatch. Plus, my bike hesitates (bogs) off bottom in 2nd gear.....right after I make the shift and roll on some throttle, there is a noticeable soft spot. It even pitches me forward slightly in the saddle. I've got to get rid of that.
Agreed. This is exactly what the Accelerator corrected. I feel like there' more low-end grunt mainly because it flattened out the lean spots.

Does this Accelerator solve that issue? How and where does it plug in? If there is a thread on this, please point me to it. I'm new in this community, but not new to ADV. So, I'm a fast learner....
Read the link I posted. The unit I bought was about a foot long and had a male connector on one end and a female on the other. It just plugged in-line. Easy as (pumpkin) pie.

Thanks for any & all input!

HF

p.s Best organized group I've ever come across in ADV. I'm very impressed with the resource everyone has built here. Glad to become a part of it.
Welcome to the brotherhood! You got yourself a killer bike. Mine is more fun each time I ride it.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Thanks R2L, I have been studying that Accelerator Linky. Looks like a simple ambient temp modifier to make the ECU think its 20 degrees cooler than actual....causing it to richen up the mixture a tad. Very clever...especially if it works as good as you guys are saying.

That's all I'm really after is fixing these two primary issues. Everywhere else, this motor runs fantastic. Love the smooth power curve all the way to the top. Very predictable and useable. So, this looks like a no brainer to try. Super Thanks for the input.

So Joel, maybe you're the one who "field tested" the SW Motech crashbars.....eh? That was worth a nice price discount. I've been wondering who to thank for that. A little sanding and fresh paint will patch that up good enough for me. But then again, a few battle scars makes her look kinda mean.

Did you run the PC-V with the AutoTune unit or without it? Did you simply run a download Dynojet curve or actually try to tune one yourself? Just curious how much effort was made to dial it in correctly to MY bike. That process has made a big difference on my WRR...of which I was not initially impressed (either) with the Dynojet furnished curves. None of them worked for me.

HF
Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Which version fits best with the F8? I'm guessing the compact version.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
HF
You are always one step ahead of me. Congratulations on your F8 purchase.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Awe Shucks, KnuckC....why did you go and do that to me? I just got through ordering the "Extended" version. Seemed to be what most folks were using with the Booster Plug. Probably can't go wrong either way. I'm looking forward to giving this Accelerator a try. The recommendations seem quite solid, here.

Hey Lion, how are you? Who'd a thunk it....I know. But here I am. Let me know when you pony up, and I'll have to plan that long ride to the PNW. We'll hook up with Cyborg too.

I just seem to be taking some spankings for not "reading up" fast enough. But geez...there's SO MUCH info to cover.

I'll say this F8 has some real potential. I'm liking how it handles and runs. Needs some ergo adjustments and some fine tuning around the edges, but I think she could become R-Squared's permanent stablemate. Have you ridden one yet?

HF
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Surprised you didn't check out the Booster Plug. Looks like basically the same thing except probably cheaper.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I did. And the Accelerator was half the cost of the Booster Plug (about $70 versus $150). Seemed like a no brainer to me.

HF
Old 10-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Hey Lion, how are you? Who'd a thunk it....I know. But here I am. Let me know when you pony up, and I'll have to plan that long ride to the PNW. We'll hook up with Cyborg too.

I just seem to be taking some spankings for not "reading up" fast enough. But geez...there's SO MUCH info to cover.

I'll say this F8 has some real potential. I'm liking how it handles and runs. Needs some ergo adjustments and some fine tuning around the edges, but I think she could become R-Squared's permanent stablemate. Have you ridden one yet?

HF
No questions, we will ride in the PNW. Just come over, plenty of nice single track, two-track, and gravel roads that are perfect for the F800!

I've ridden the F800 three times. Each time I liked it better. I will buy the F8 hopefully sooner rather than later. Meanwhile, besides the WRR I have a Dakar that will sort of keep up with the 800. You won't need to wait for too long on intersections.

And knowing you are getting to know this bike, asking questions and all, I know you soon will be the one answering the questions!

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Accelerator

Highfive: Let me know how it works for you. I think I will need one also.

Glad to see you ask the questions, so I also can learn.

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote