User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
How much can you raise fork tubes in clamps

I have lowered my F800 by installing Hyperpro 25mm springs (Forks and Shock). It lowers the bike by spring sag, and shorter springs. The Hyperpro fork springs are to soft for my liking and riding style. I want to put in heaver weight springs but still want the bike lower by the 25mm. What is the most you can raise the fork tube in the clamps before the front fender hit something?

Thanks for any info.

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 08:48 AM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Fork tubes can go down to about 25mm (above the upper clamp) while still retaining full bearing surface on the lower clamp.

Without reducing travel (increasing sag is essentially reducing usable travel), you can't lower the front end any more.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
can't you clip the main spring and add some to the top out spring?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Fork tubes can go down to about 25mm (above the upper clamp) while still retaining full bearing surface on the lower clamp.

Without reducing travel (increasing sag is essentially reducing usable travel), you can't lower the front end any more.
bxr140
Reading your information. If I understand what your saying. I can raise the fork tubes up to 25mm above the top fork clamps and the front fender will not hit any part of the bike at full compression travel? Correct?

LaPorte
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
When the fork is set at the "Limit" line engraved into the tube, the tube narrows down to 18mm from the bottom of the top fork. You can see the tool marks on the tube where they start to get smaller. You probably could raise them higher but you won't have full contact with the tubes.

You should not have anymore contact issues lowering the tubes than using the shorter springs. Apparently Hyperpro is using the 50mm springs without a problem.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
When the fork is set at the "Limit" line engraved into the tube, the tube narrows down to 18mm from the bottom of the top fork. You can see the tool marks on the tube where they start to get smaller. You probably could raise them higher but you won't have full contact with the tubes.

You should not have anymore contact issues lowering the tubes than using the shorter springs. Apparently Hyperpro is using the 50mm springs without a problem.
itatdm
I have my forks raised up to the engraved line right now. They stick up less than 1/2". If I use the springs we talked about (19"), I would want to make 1/2" preload spacers to replace the 1" spacers and raise the fork tubes up at least 1/2". That would allow the fork hight to mach or maybe be a little lower than the Hyperpro 25mm lowered shock height. I have found that if the fork height is a little lower than the shock height the bike steer a little better. (bring in the fork angle) Looking foward to try the springs.

LaPorte