User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
exotica OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
First ride on the Mad@ss 150

Got the Madass 150 registered, and tagged. Just tightened up the exhaust, that was shaking loose. Time for a shake down ride to see what needs to be looked at next. This was originally a Sachs MA 09 50cc model, converted with a Lifan 150. It has a ton of mods to it, and decals removed. Skinny black hybrid looking thing; and it sounds pretty good for the size of the bike. Pic is in the Battle scooters forum, under the photo thread for anyone interested.

So, took it out for a spin into the local town, working through the gears, getting a feeling for it. First is very jumpy; need to roll on the gas throughout that gear, in 2 the vibes start, by 3 I'm up to 50mph territory and the bike smooths out. 4th is cruising gear. I stall it in worse place in sketchy area of approach to DT near a traffic light. Get it kick-started quickly and resume passage. Decide to spin into downtown, getting a good feel for the clutch and gas required. Head up North of the city and I'm near the ring-road around the city, and decide well, let's try out 4th gear. Merge nicely into traffic; it's a bit sluggish at about 60mph, but I coax it up into the 65mph range. At this point I hold the throttle pinned to see what speed it can get to. I hit 69mph very briefly, and the engine just loses all power. Nothing...I pull over and I'm now on a very busy highway, and I pull off onto the shoulder. I try to kick-start it again, and nothing. I notice that the whole engine wiggles as I try to kick-start it. I did some checking and discover that one of the bolt/nuts holding the engine in is holding on by about 2 threads. The exhaust which I had just reinstalled has also come loose.

I walk the bike along the edge of the highway and up the exit ramp. Luckily I'm near a busy exit, and after a good 10 minute walk get it to a gas station. I fill the tank, and unfortunately it's already half full (was hoping for an empty tank).

I called a tow-truck, and then get some folks asking me about the ride. I send one off with the name/address of the importer. As we load it up on the tow truck another person asks me about it. I'm not used to all this attention :-)

Anyhow, the bike and I make it home by tow-truck and start reading developing theories about what happened.

Suspect it (hopefully) may be an electrical problem, losing ignition; given the sorry state of the fastener connections. These bikes have some strange grounding going on on them.
exotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
ok....

At least it was fast while it lasted. Any pics of your badass madass on the tow truck?
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
exotica OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKLR_John
At least it was fast while it lasted. Any pics of your badass madass on the tow truck?
exotica is offline   Reply With Quote