User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
F8 Water Drowning Recovery

Being new to BMW's, but not to bikes or wrenching, I couldn't stand it any longer.....had to strip my F8 naked for good looksee at her!

A few thoughts on the passing scene:

1) I think that must be the ECU under the seat...??

2) Quite an airbox contraption under there...

4) Where's the fusebox? That sneaky rat is still hiding from me.

But I keep looking at that airbox and wondering: What happens if you drown this girl in a creek crossing? Looks like its gonna hold 4 gallons of water in the airbox and drain it into the engine after you stand it back up.

So, what is the proper recovery procedure on an F8 after a water drowning?

I'm all ears.....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
You obviously need to read up a bit more. No fuse box. It's called a Canbus system. And ther's drainage for airbox water.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Thanks, Toadride. Been reading voraciously for 3 weeks....just not crossed those tracks yet.

I'll locate that drainplug(s) and bone up on CanBus. Bike came with a little Powerlet next to ingition key slot. The outlet is not working. So, what's the secret fix?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
F800

Dude you got serious reading to do.

The outlet only works with key on and is limited to very low amperage. Remove that cover that it is in and you will notice that there is a spot exactly opposite where you can install another one. Wire that one to the battery directly with a fuse of course.

If you flood out the bike be aware that when the airfilter dries it kind of shrinks and can change shape leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Thanks, Toadride. Been reading voraciously for 3 weeks....just not crossed those tracks yet.

I'll locate that drainplug(s) and bone up on CanBus. Bike came with a little Powerlet next to ingition key slot. The outlet is not working. So, what's the secret fix?

HF
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Apparently, I can't read fast enough. A problem that has long plagued me.

So, if you plug in something with too big a load (say 30 watt heated vest into el 5-watt junior plug-o) what happens...nothing? No harm done (on a CanBus)?

My little powerlet is dead! As in nada...nuttin...train ain't coming. That's with the key on and even the engine running. Maybe the connector plug is bad...?

So, back to the water adventure....I'm liking the sound of this, I think. Stand the bike back upright....let the airbox drain on its own, empty the pipe and your good to go...eh?

My bike will face many a deep water crossing in the months to come. Does the F8 stall without some snorkel mods?

No...my reading hasn't caught up to that yet either. But I was going to try drinking the 12-pack before pushing that buy button for the D-3 fairing, as Docking Pilot encouraged. See there...I've been reading something.

HF

p.s. thanks for the tip on the air filter shrinkage, Motoriley.
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Motoriley

Deep water in the 800

The 800 will go in water that is really deep. The air intakes air very high. I ride with guys on a 1150GS, an HP2 and a DR650. They fear to tread where my 800 can go water wise. I only got my filter wet and blew out the headlights when the bike fell over in a lake....
One thing I've learned is that if you do as much water as I have is that you better get good at changing wheel bearings. All mine were toast in 7000 kms.
See some vids here.

http://vimeo.com/14825990

Quote:

So, if you plug in something with too big a load (say 30 watt heated vest into el 5-watt junior plug-o) what happens...nothing? No harm done (on a CanBus)?

My little powerlet is dead! As in nada...nuttin...train ain't coming. That's with the key on and even the engine running. Maybe the connector plug is bad...?

So, back to the water adventure....I'm liking the sound of this, I think. Stand the bike back upright....let the airbox drain on its own, empty the pipe and your good to go...eh?

My bike will face many a deep water crossing in the months to come. Does the F8 stall without some snorkel mods?

No...my reading hasn't caught up to that yet either. But I was going to try drinking the 12-pack before pushing that buy button for the D-3 fairing, as Docking Pilot encouraged. See there...I've been reading something.

HF

Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

HF

The socket next to the key is wired through CANBUS - the computer has to recognise something is plugged in there to make it work. Quite a few guys have problems with some GPS units not being recognised - what method are you using to determine if it works or not? Multimeter? It won't tell you.

Best bet is to re-wire a direct-to-battery power outlet.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Thanks for the info, Raider. That sounds like my problem. I've tried a gps, a little air compressor, and the controller (only) of my heated gear...just to see if the red light will come on. Probably not being recognized, as you said. Man, Canbus is some kind of sophisticated system, I reckon.

I'll do as you and another have said. Except I think I'll wire up a complete auxillary power box (like a centec) and use that spare accessory outlet to simply power a contact relay. Then pull the main juice from the battery.

Will that work? Will the CanBus recognize a Relay and give it some go juice?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Raider. That sounds like my problem. I've tried a gps, a little air compressor, and the controller (only) of my heated gear...just to see if the red light will come on. Probably not being recognized, as you said. Man, Canbus is some kind of sophisticated system, I reckon.

I'll do as you and another have said. Except I think I'll wire up a complete auxillary power box (like a centec) and use that spare accessory outlet to simply power a contact relay. Then pull the main juice from the battery.

HF
Have a search through for forum - probably under a GPS topic - about the secret "spare connector" that lurks about the power socket. This may help you out.

That said, the power outlet isn't like Windows USB, it doesn't need to know what's plugged in, just that something is. If you're getting nothing even with the engine running, maybe there is a problem there.

Regardless, CANBUS doesn't control the battery, so if you want to wire up your own power box, just take it directly off the battery. What the computer doesn't know won't hurt it!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:

HF
5 amps is all you get through the ZFE controlled circuit. CANBus is nothing magical and nothing to be mystified by. All it is is a protocol for monitoring electrical current flow. It is essentially an electronic "fuse." If it sense an over current, the "fuse" trips and stops the flow of electricity through this circuit. Remove the over current condition and the system can reset.

CANBus has been around for years, is very reliable, and easy to use once you understand how to work with it.

LINKY for info

run a power relay off the bike system and tap the main battery through said relay for power. Hook it all through a centech or the like and be done with it. It's easy! The above link shows the connector you need. It is under the airbox cover and easy to find.

One thing I highly recommend you do is run and SAE pigtail direct from battery to somewhere up near the steering head. With this you can now plug a Battery Tender in and, more importantly, run a cycle pump if you have a flat repair you need to affect. You can plug the pump in to this pigtail and not have to have the bike sourced power on.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Guys, the lack of fuses has nothing to do with CANbus. They can exist independantly of each other. CANbus is a term for a specific type of computer network system. Many vehicles run CANbus systems and also have fuse panels. It just happens to be that BMW decided they'd let a computer control the current flow in many circuits.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
The 800 will go in water that is really deep.

http://vimeo.com/14825990

Ho-chi-momma.....Motoriley! All I can say about your video is this:

Everyone needs to watch this to appreciate what an F800 is capable of, as well as one crazy rider. Your creative editing is superb. Truly, one of the most entertaining video clips I've seen in years. Outstanding job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
5 amps is all you get through the ZFE controlled circuit. CANBus is nothing magical and nothing to be mystified by.

CANBus has been around for years, is very reliable, and easy to use once you understand how to work with it.

LINKY for info
Super thanks for the detailed info, 1bmwfan. Appreciate that Linky. This is exactly what I'm going to do. The bike already had the SAE pigtail, as described. The Gateway boys did that while breaking it in (emphasis on "break").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Guys, the lack of fuses has nothing to do with CANbus. They can exist independantly of each other.
Thanks for the clarification, Bayner. I'm learning something new every day (again). This is good stimulation for my caffeine-crusted brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown

Way to go ChiTown. Thanks for directing this thread back to the "Water" question.

Who has taken a submerged dive on their F8 and is willing to admit it? What were the steps that followed to get her going again. I can easily use my imagination, but I'd appreciate hearing the events that followed and how the bike responded. If you'd be so kind...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Motoriley

Deep

Even though I've seen this clip a few times I always find myself hoping you make it! That must be a s close to maximum depth as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Motoriley

F800 dewatering

Knowing what I know now I would certainly check the air filter after a dunk. The big pain in the rear would be pulling the plugs. You need to remove all the tank plastic. Unplug a few electrical connectors, pull the entire airbox and have the correct thinwall deep socket to get the plugs out. Which I still haven't bought!! It is enough to make you wish you still had an 1150 where all this takes 5 minutes...