User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,771
Wink Best 2-up Thumper with LONG seat??

this has been of interest lately... Can't get clarity on which Thumper has a long seat, and pretty good [all things considered...] 2-up?
I have ASSUMED it would be one of the F650 models but not an expert on the changes year-to-year whether some were roomier/capable than others.

I know some go 2fers on KLR, but my body really dislikes KLR... still interested in 2-up though.

the mighty DR got me started on this. in a pinch when I was temporarily without Weestrom I padded the rear fender of the DR, jacked up the old shock as much as it would go, aired the tires kinda tight and took my bride on excursion. I was very surprised that it handled actually pretty well, but her tush was not too pleased overall.

what say ye experts?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
Not a thumper, but the F800GS is very comfy for two.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
I tried this years ago, it isn't the Husky 610, or the KTM exc any things, it isn't the KLR650. I am just about certain the older LC4 is ok cause the 99 I have is fitted with a massive stock seat, but for sure, the now dead Husky 650 Terra/Strada are the best I've ever sat on for 2 up. Almost as much seating as a 950 Adv, maybe even equal?
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
If you like your wife, stick with the BMW variety, F or G 650 or maybe X-country, unless you both are pretty small. KTM 640 adv might work. The rest will all be cramped even if you both are small unless you plan on short rides.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,301
I've ridden 2 up on several thumpers and here are my observations:
Tried the XT 600 yrs back found it too cramped and suspension too soft ..

The XRLs ok for short spurts but way too cramped for any distance..

KLR was bearable for 2 up travel and could be much better with a custom seat and some suspension work...

640A is the best thumper I have ridden for 2 up travel, a little roomier in the seating area and a suspension that can handle the load.. After the first couple yrs of owning one I went up on the spring rates front and back and that was a further improvement.. The riding I do 2 up is multi day trips over mixed roads and rough tracks loaded with camping gear, cooking gear and personal luggage ...

I traveled with another couple on a BMW 650 single and they had a heck of a time on that little bike, it was way too cramped... The passenger is sitting far back and there is not much past the end of the rear seat... With the fuel being under the seat instead of forward you do not get the counterbalance effect of the fuel and when the tank is full along with the extra weight the luggage adds it gets real wallowy in the rear end ... 2 up without luggage is probably ok because the bike has a decent seat..

All this being said 650 thumpers do not make the best 2 up platforms, kind of a compromise bike, will do it all, but not the best in any category..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 334
Myself and the wife have been out a couple of times on a KTM 690 Enduro and it is way too cramped. She also complained that the Vibs made her feet numb after an hour
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

to the bigger bikes, i'm way down the road of those arguments: i have an outfitted Weestrom for such works. All things are a compromise, and 2-up on anything is full of compromises - plum full.
I read some interesting battles over in Road Warriors [er... road worriers ] - nobody really loves their 2-up unless its a wing - all sorts of battles over ST, RT, FJR, Old ones, new ones, in between ones, modded ones. finally you give up and get a nice luxury car that can bash 2-lane roads in dead silence.

I actually like 'scrambler style' seating better. the high-perched pillion is a handling problem for everyone. anyone that things they can take evasive actions quickly, 2-up, is smokin' hopium. Its all risky, but flattish seating and a height that can get a solid boot on the ground is a plus [DR is not too tall for me]

I thought the Husky's aforementioned WERE BMW F-thumpers, essentially, right?

So, one of you that has an old katoom 640, would you mind measuring the seat and post? stem to stern and some rough work on width... i realize it varies.

x country is a kids bike. no way on it. but the fullsize F650's of some era, maybe including the current, seemed to me to be roomy, and handled better than KLR in my limited rides. frankly DR-like, but heavier/bulkier

My personal experience - and a point that both my wife and I agree on, oddly - the most comfortable bike for 2-up that I have had is the very humble older Honda [shadow] SAbre [mine wuz 2000] 1100, outfitted with a mustang touring seat, nice windshield, and a few accessories. sorta my ref point. "classic" roadstar 1600 was second, not by much... Both are wretched backroads bikes - just awful, and we like the small forgotten backroads.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

A 620 is about 30" long from tip to end, 7.5" wide at rear passenger butt area on top, near ten inches wide there at base of seat.

I'm not sure how close the actual seats are on the BMW and husky 650s, same bike for the most part. I just happened to have sat in the Husky and it was enormous regarding passenger room. My adult son jumped on the back and two full size guys fit just fine.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

appreciate that.
DR is 28", about 8" across in the "passenger area" if you call it that. being long of inseam I tend to hog a lot of room on it, even with pegs down an inch but I can compromise some. 2" is significant if done right
Old 02-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
The BMW f(g)650 single, x-country and husky terra/strada all use the Rotax single with some tuning differences between them. The seating on the husky is more dirtbike like.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
appreciate that.
DR is 28", about 8" across in the "passenger area" if you call it that. being long of inseam I tend to hog a lot of room on it, even with pegs down an inch but I can compromise some. 2" is significant if done right
You bet, I'm 601", 34" inseam and 200 lbs. where I sit on the 620 I think I could fit two small passengers out back. Lol. The lc4 is a big bike but go try on the Strada, it was pretty accommodating as I recall, and pretty massive too for a single.

I'm biased though, I built a ninja 300 for two up touring!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 636
If you have time...

See the thread for the AJP PR-7. Looks like a honey. I'm saving my $.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
You bet, I'm 601", 34" inseam and 200 lbs. where I sit on the 620 I think I could fit two small passengers out back. Lol. The lc4 is a big bike but go try on the Strada, it was pretty accommodating as I recall, and pretty massive too for a single.

I'm biased though, I built a ninja 300 for two up touring!
Holy Cow ! 601 INCHES TALL.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I am a legend in my mind.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 187
My experiences

ktm 690 too cramped ,hard seat,too tall lots of power for passing though
dr 650 not as cramped as 690.softer seat and cushier suspension but less power for passing,neither the 690 or dr had any wind protection.
new Gen klr 650- roomier,cushy suspension.wind protection but not enough power for passing.
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote