User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Yermo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
My Review of the Aerostich Transit Suit

So by request I've put together a little review of the Aerostich Transit Suit on Miles-by-Motorcycle.com:

http://miles-by-motorcycle.com/fv-b-...xic-suit-.html
Yermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Nice extensive review. Had a transit jacket for a few short days...
firebrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelwik
Nice suit, but I refuse to spend that much money on a riding suit.

Dress for the Ride, or dress for the Slide.

I've crashed Twice in my 2pc 'stich with only minor injuries...the second crash would've been Major Trauma had I not been wearing the suit.

$1400 is quite reasonable when you consider the "real estate" i.e. your skin that it is protecting.

After 200,000 miles, my 'stich is worn out (been refurbished twice...try that with TourMaster!) and I'm seriously considering the Transit Suit.

BTW, most major insurance companies reimburse the price of moto gear in case of a mishap.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Thumb

Yermo,
thanks so much! I have (not kidding) spent hours scouring the web for a long-term review of the transit, not just an initial impression. This is a great review! In fact, it is the only long-term review.

I have the same SAS-tec armor in my cayenne pro suit and find it to be extremely comfortable.

Do you have any pictures of you sitting on the bike with the Transit. I am curious to see how the pants and sleeves "ride up" when in riding position.

Thanks again,
SpaceManSpiff
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Yermo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Photos of Transit Suit In Motion

@SpaceManSpiff I'm not sure if you'll be able to see these photos but here are a few moonshine shots of me in Deals Gap, of course wearing the Transit.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Vi....aspx?a=763143

If you can't see these photos, let me know.

There aren't many shots of me from my trip because i was travelling alone, but here's a pick of me on the bike:

Yermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Nice review. Suit looks great.

Is the arrow through the head optional with Transit?

MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Yermo,

the link worked and the pics look good. The suit looks like it works when in attack position....

Trouble brewing...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:

Then don't

everytime a review shows up of some expensive gear somebody has to make sure we know they wouldn't buy it. Gee thanks for that usefull information.

I'm broke and cheap but I buy the best gear I can afford. Sometimes the gear that costs four times as much as the cheap stuff lasts four times as long and you get to enjoy having better stuff for the same price in the end.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
how about for a non custom riding suit? - I know the technology is cool and support the idea in concept but that price puts it right on the edge of bespoke gear.

good gear is worth paying $ for no doubt

that's my internal argument at the moment

not hating though
I say hooray for early adopters - without whom we cheapskates would never get cooler stuff

thanks for the awesome review
I have been waiting to here some real world experiences
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Be it this suit, or Klim or Rukka or anything else that costs more than a pair of jeans, telling us you won't spend that much money on a suit isn't contributing anything positive to the discussion.. We're here to learn about good riding gear.. No one needs to justify why they spend a bit or a lot on a suit.. it's your body and your skin, ride anyway you want.. just keep this thread about the suit and it's features.. not about you and how much money you want to spend or not spend.. start a new thread if that's what you want to talk about.

To the OP, thanks for the link to your review.. I'll probably have a question or two later when I'm done reading it all.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Transit suit

Quote:

What "he"said...then don't! So you don't like the price. Guess your work here is finished.

I bought the Klim Adventure jacket early this year. Worked great in a rocky get-off. Totally waterproof. Worth every penny...to me. I don't think Andy lives on a mansion on a hill in Duluth. Seems to me he prices his merchandise where he can afford to sell it, and then backs it up. There is a market for waterproof leather. I live in the Seattle area. It happens to be one. And the size range (including Talls) means I get enough of a 'bespoke" fit to be happy.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,289
Nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

I have a Transit Suit as well. I bought mine in September 2009. So far I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 miles on it.

A few thoughs based on my experience with it:

You're 100% right - that sucker is definitely waterproof. I've ridden several thousand miles in the rain wearing it and I've only found one chink in it's waterproofness: sometimes water will come down my neck and inside the collar. I've found that if I kind of hunker down / shrug my shoulders just a little bit, my helmet will keep the water out. Other than that? Yep - TOTALLY waterproof.

It ain't cheap. But you get what you pay for.

In high temps, that thing sucks. Now I know what a turkey feels like when it's in the oven in one of those roasting bag thingies. If you live in the south or in an area with high ambient temps, I don't think this is the gear for you. The wife and I took a 3-week ride this past July and rode to the west coast. On our way back, we rode through Redding, CA, and it was something like 109*. I was dying. More vents - hell, ANY vents! - would be GREATLY appreciated!

The cuffs on the sleeves bug me for 2 reasons: 1. They fit nice and snug around my wrists, which is nice, but I wear a watch on my left wrist. If you're wearing shorty gloves and try to snug 'em inside your sleeve and zip up your wrists, it can get overly snug around your wrists. 2. On the tops of the wrists are little leather tab thingies to snug up the wrists tighter. If you're wearing gauntlet-style gloves, the snugger-upper tabs make it difficult to get the gauntlet over the outside of the jacket.

Did I mention it's waterproof?

Fit. For me, it fits as good as anything 'off-the-rack' EVER could. I'm a very manly 44 chest and the 44 jacket fits perfect for me. The 34 waist pants fit as good as jeans. I have absolutely no complaints with how the transit suit fits me.

Weight. One thing is for sure: this sucker is HEAVY! Sometimes at a restaurant someone will hand me my jacket and the reaction is about the same everytime - "Holy shit that jacket is HEAVY!" Guess I'm used to it by now. My usual reply is, "Yeah, well, it's armored, waterproof leather. It's gonna be heavy."

The 'cool' factor. Hell if I know - I'm a geek, fer cryin' out loud, but I do get a lot of comments on it.

For SpaceManSpiff - here's a picture from the Dragon when I was down there in September. Hopefully it will give you an idea of how it fits while riding.

And another action shot for ya.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
My one concern with this suit is that the pants are not overpants. I like wearing a light pair of pants under my Roadcrafter overpants so I can remove the overpants when I'm stopped for lunch.

Compared to say the Rukka or the Klim jacket which cost about $1400 just for the jacket, the Transit waterproof leather suit is a bargain. Compared to Joe Rocket stuff, it ain't, but then again, you spend $200 on a riding jacket, you get what you paid for.

Do you wear the pants right over your underwear and your skin's right up against the linining? Do the pants get hot and sweaty when stopped for a break?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Laugh

Thank you for your input BikerGeek99!

Appreciate the pictures too. The fit looks good --sleeves aren't riding up, armor looks like it is in the right position etc. I really appreciate that Aerostich does give me the options (now) of short, regular, and long sizes, btw.

I can see how the suit can be hot, especially behind a large fairing and a big tank bag. How does it do in the cold? Being waterproof and with only the rear vent I would imagine that it isn't drafty (unlike the roadcrafter which is) at least. Given that leather seems to conduct heat better than textiles I assume you would have to layer up sooner.

In both BikerGeeks pics it the transit looks a little...brownish...has it faded, or is it dirt/bug splatter? Street cred is ok, street crud eh, not so much.
How much wear is it showing otherwise--at the price it will be a long-term investment for SpaceMan. Zippers still work, etc?

Can you fit the jacket into one of the side cases, or is it too bulky?

Do you find that the suit after 25k miles still doesn't absorb water? Or does it get soaked now that it has some miles on it.

Yeah, i have read alot about the cuffs being problematic for some and not for others.I am hoping it is a matter of preference and be dealt with by the choice gloves.

I hope the collar leak can be dealt with via a neck gaiter/balaklava type garment.

GB: yeah, neither of the similar Alpinestars jacket and Rukka jackets (Merlin and Lancelot) have any venting and both are much more expensive. I would hope that you could wear a thin (hiking/rockclimbing) type shorts under the pants for that sought after dork-in-motorcycle-boots-white-legs-and-shorts-at-that-gas-station-in-Kayenta-look. YMMV, of course. :)

SpaceManSpiff screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 09:48 AM
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Do you wear the pants right over your underwear and your skin's right up against the linining?
Yes. Typically LD Comfort unmentionables, shorts when it's warm and full-length tights when it's cooler out. It's not uncomfortable at all. Compared to my other riding pants (TourMaster Air Something-or-other mesh and Aerostitich AD1's), these are the most all-around comfortable.

I have ridden with a pair of microfiber convertible pants (the ones Aerostitch sells - the legs unzip and turn into shorts) with no real problem, although with a belt on the convertible pants, the waist was kinda snug.

Quote:
Do the pants get hot and sweaty when stopped for a break?
When it's warm / hot, yes, very much so. When we stopped for fuel and water when riding through Redding when it so gawd-awful hot, I unzipped the sides of the legs about halfway up to get some air in there. Ya, I looked dorky, but it wasn't because of my skinny little glow-in-the-dark-white legs being exposed.

Oh - and while we were on our trip out west (3 weeks on the road!) I lost 15 pounds and the pants are quite a bit less snug around the waist now, so I always make sure that I zip the jacket and pants together. Wouldn't wanna lose me drawers or anything...

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote