User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
LVRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hwy 50

I am planning to take a trip with my brother, via hwy 50. The plan is to start in Las Vegas drive up to San Francisco and start there. Drive to Sacramento and start the '50'. We will be using a 07 HD Ultra and an 07 HD Streetglide. The plan is to camp / hotel 50/50 or so. I figure to take 17 days to complete this. I don't want it to be an IBA style ride...only 300-500 mile days. I mapped it out and except for the NV portion, it looks to be a good ride.

A few questions...

Has anybody done this particular route? If so I would like to hear about it. I checked the forums and google and didn't find much.

My brother is all for the camping aspect. He likes the idea of pulling off the side of the road and just pitching tents. I have some reservations about that...I don't want a spooked farmer or property owner suprising us with 'heat' if ya know what I mean.

I'm curious, do any of you do this? I am leaning towards KOA'S or campgrounds to stay in. But I am reading alot about non MC friendly campgrounds...I just don't want to spend $$$ on hotels for 17 days. Any info would be appreciated.

On our way back we plan on heading South to New Orleans then up to Albuquerque then back to Vegas. Total mileage is about 6600 miles.

Hope to hear back from any of you who may have done the '50'.
LVRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
bsplyr500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Wow. Jut checked out U.S. 50. Looks like an awesome trip. Hope you enjoy all of it.
bsplyr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRider
I mapped it out and except for the NV portion, it looks to be a good ride.

HWY50 through NV is spectacular country. A truly scenic ride with very few cagers to ruin the fun...

Good luck on your journey, it sounds like a blast!
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Don't forget to start your trip with a photo of 'something' Maryland 3000 some odd miles. The sign is on e/b 50 just east of the Yolo Causeway landing.

I've found that campgrounds are M/C friendly if your bikes are campground friendly. Loud = Unfriendly.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 443
Thumb Nevada Hiway 50

Have done most of Hiway 50 in Nevada only. Gas, Motels and food available
in Fallon,Austin,Eureka and Ely. As far as organized campgrounds go, not sure. I would say yes in Fallon & Ely not sure about Austin & Eureka.

Most of that land is BLM with a little Forest Service, OK to disperse camp
wherever you want. Would not worry to much about land owners as long
as you are not opening gates to go in and find a camp spot.

I would get off on Hiway 722 as a more scenic side trip, it puts you back
on the 50 just West of Austin. Also, Great basin Nat. Park is worth seeing
and would give you a campground.

Have fun and ride safe.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
wannamaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I've stayed at a KOA in Ely and it's OK. There is Great basin Ntional Park with camping near by and it's worth cheking out, but it depends on the time of year. I was there in April and the upper campground where closed.
wannamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
LVRider OP
Adventurer

Anyone been further East on the 50...I have been on the 50 in NV...I live in Vegas. We hope to do it next May.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
50 through western CO is AWESOME!
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Stop in Austin, Nv and get the "Lonelyest Hwy in America " tee-shirt.

Watch for flying saucers and Mormon Crickets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Internet article:
Swarming

Summer 06 Nevada

The Mormon cricket exists in populations of relatively low density throughout most of its range. However, at certain times and places, population explosions or infestations occur in which large numbers of the cricket form roving bands. These bands may include millions of individuals and have a population density of up to 100 individuals per square meter. These infestations may last years or even decades, and are characterized by a gradual increase and then decrease in population. The factors that trigger these infestations are poorly understood, but are thought to be weather-related.
New research shows that Mormon crickets move in these migratory bands move firstly to find new sources of the critical nutrients of protein and salt.
[
When a large band crosses a road it can cause a safety hazard by causing distracted revulsion on the part of the driver, and by causing the road surface to become slick with their fluids.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crickets covered the road in Austin a few summers ago when I passed thru, almost crashed.

Not sure now is best timing for this trip due to potential weather, but at least the desert will be cool.

Check the "Tentspace List" http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310941
for places stay or help along the way.

Have a great ride and say hello when passing thru Sac, Ca, I'm 25 miles south on Hwy 99.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 448
Did 50 about 10 years ago as far as eastern Colorado. It's a nice ride except for the section that overlaps highway 70. Personally I found that part boring. The rest of it was great. There are plenty of places to stay along the way so I wouldn't get to concerned about that but you might wind up doing hotel/motel several nights in a row and then camping for a few.

Don't know when your planning on going but if it's in the early (April, May, early June) be ready for any weather. I went out 50 in May of last year and got everything from snow to the 90's.

The only other thing I would mention is to allow time to play tourist. There are a lot of things to see on the way thru and you don't want to find out later that you blew by without stopping.

P.S. Hit the internet. There's a lot of info out there.
DRGNHTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
There is a campground just east of austin. I recall it is called Bob Scott. Nice view from up there. If ya camp near Ely, Cave Lake is a nice place.

Have a good trip.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,168
Bob Scott near Austin is a good camp site, but sometimes isn't fully open (ie no water) until June (I was there in late May this year). It can still be pretty cold along much of this route in May, at least at night in the higher elevations.

I've done 50 the whole way, it officially was San Francisco to Annapolis, MD. The only interstate is near SF/Sacramento and that bit of 70 in Colorado. All in all a pretty interesting route and road.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRider
I am planning to take a trip with my brother, via hwy 50. The plan is to start in Las Vegas drive up to San Francisco and start there. Drive to Sacramento and start the '50'. We will be using a 07 HD Ultra and an 07 HD Streetglide. The plan is to camp / hotel 50/50 or so. I figure to take 17 days to complete this. I don't want it to be an IBA style ride...only 300-500 mile days. I mapped it out and except for the NV portion, it looks to be a good ride.

A few questions...

Has anybody done this particular route? If so I would like to hear about it. I checked the forums and google and didn't find much.

My brother is all for the camping aspect. He likes the idea of pulling off the side of the road and just pitching tents. I have some reservations about that...I don't want a spooked farmer or property owner suprising us with 'heat' if ya know what I mean.

I'm curious, do any of you do this? I am leaning towards KOA'S or campgrounds to stay in. But I am reading alot about non MC friendly campgrounds...I just don't want to spend $$$ on hotels for 17 days. Any info would be appreciated.

On our way back we plan on heading South to New Orleans then up to Albuquerque then back to Vegas. Total mileage is about 6600 miles.

Hope to hear back from any of you who may have done the '50'.
I just did 50 like a month ago. I got some suggestions on the San fran to reno side if you like nice curvey roads. I also can give you some suggestions my dad gave me. Let me look up my exact route.

There is gas every 100 miles on 50. I found cheap hotels at every place i stopped.

There are TONS of cool things in Utah and New Mexico to see if you haven't seen them already.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
LVRider OP
Adventurer

im looking forward to riding the 50...I have taken the 70 and i really like that part through the mts... i really want to get into the midwest and maybe stop to fish and eat some good food. I definately dont wanna blow through like an IBA run.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Last spring I traveled Rt 50 starting in Kansas all the way west to Lake Tahoe. Kansas is pretty boring as is Colorado east of Canon City. West of Canon City is fantastic all the way to Tahoe. I would suggest, however, that you get off 50 in Utah and head south to Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Dixie National Forrest, Escalante, not to mention Moab and Arches and Canyonlands National parks. It's a crime to pass through Utah without seeing those things. I've traveled through most of the states at one time or another and Utah has some of the most amazing sights, but you can't see them from Route 50, so don't be too intent on staying on it because as good as it is, there are many incredible sights nearby that you'll miss if you don't leave 50 now and than.

You've got me thinking about heading there again next spring. You'll have a great time.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote