Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
dickiemancox OP
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 1
6 weeks living the dream

Hi everyone,
Im rich from the UK i have been a lurker for some time reading everyone's adventures. I have traveled around most of Europe and next July im planning on coming to America for 6 weeks to ride wherever the road may take me, i haven't and wont set any routes in stone i just want to let my trip unfold day by day with the people i meet steering me in the right directions. Im trying to find some information about either buying or renting a bike whilst over there. I am thinking something like a KLR or XR and just bringing my soft luggage helmet and riding gear over with me. As for where i will stay well again ill see what happens i will have a tent and other camping gear. I also dont know where to start at and any ideas would be helpful i am leaning towards the east coast but not too sure.
Thanks for any help Rich
dickiemancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
low profile
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Oddometer: 28,890
The Pacific Northwest.

Washington State, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Northern California.

That will take about 6 weeks(probably more)
gimmie the button!
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Flashmo's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vagabond Hippie
Oddometer: 2,623
Bring your stuff, buy a KLR off Craigslist, do a little maintenance and any mods you feel necessary real quick and you are ready to go. It's been done many times before.

Don't be afraid to use "Tent Space".
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Motociclista Errante
Gustavo's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,292
Do a search here on vehicle registration. It has gotten significantly more difficult to register a car/bike in most US states if you are not a legal resident of that state (i.e. have proof of an established address). Buying a bike is easy. Getting it registered is not so trivial any more. Getting it insured has become a lot easier thanks to the web, you can easily compare quotes before you get here. Many of my friends who do not have a US license have had good results with Progressive Insurance.

Renting a bike is a lot more expensive, but saves you a lot of valuable vacation time, unless you arrange for someone to help you buy/register the bike and s/he can also help you sell it after you leave. Keep in mind that in this economy (assuming no major changes until next July) you can get good deals on used bikes, but you also have to price your bike competitively to sell quickly. And even that can take weeks until the right person comes along.

After you resolve the technical issues, the recommendations TT gave above sound like a good plan to me. The Northwest corner of the US offers some of the best riding in the US with a great variety of scenery.


Gustavo screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 09:32 PM
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Flashmo's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vagabond Hippie
Oddometer: 2,623
I'd be willing to help you register it, where I am, if needed. I'm sure others would be willing to help as well. Look into it and decide what kind of help you need as the date gets closer, and you know what part of the country you will be in.

Then, just ask. Someone will step up.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Beastly Adventurer
AugustFalcon's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Waterford, Connecticut U.S.A.
Oddometer: 1,058
If your bike is going to be less than 300 ccs Vermont will be glad to take your money by mail. You will get a registration and a plate but no title. No requirement that you be a Vermont resident. I'll try to find my paperwork to check and see if they required US citizenship (I don't remember them doing so.)

They may also have no Vermont residency requirement for larger bikes but they require a title. Bikes that require title documents also require vehicle identification number (VIN) verification by a law enforcement officer or MVD inspector. A simple process as long as your bike has an on-road eligible VIN. I registered my KTM there so that I would not have to deal with the Connecticut Motor Vehicle Department inspectors when registering my off road titled bike for on-road use.

My guess is that most states which require residency within the state for registration purposes do so because they want to tax the motor vehicle as personal property each year. So perhaps you should look at the state which have no personal property taxes.

If you need any help shoot me a pm.
cheers... jack

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015