User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #1
Black Hills OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
1190 oil leak

Got back from a trip to Montana and discovered oil leaking from the rear valve cover. narrowed it down to the vent line that runs up to the airbox. it appeared the screw was loose so I tried to tighten and it just spins, the threads are stripped out of the cover?
talked to the dealer and they are 3+ weeks out not counting the 2 weeks of the Sturgis Rally that they won't be able to do anything but Rally work.. A little talking to the service manager and he said if I bring the cover in they can heli-coil it and get it back to me in a day or two.. not the best deal, but acceptable to me. fortunately the cover is fairly easily removed without taking anything off but the seat and loosening the brake lines.
dropped it off today and we'll see how soon they call.. I may ask them to warranty me a new one, but didn't want to wait for it at this point (it's only $63).
Still love this thing!! 1200 miles over the weekend (only a hundred or so off road) and an overall average of 48.3MPG running mostly in the 80-90mph range!!
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #2
Black Hills OP
Studly Adventurer

and.. they called an hour later that it is done! I'll install tonight, making it a 24 hour repair... not too bad..
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #3
ncj01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
my rear cly also leaked all over the place.

dealer said it's the vent hose going to the airbox.

but said it was the oring where the hose fits into the valve cover...

supposed to get it back tomorrow (the front/lower/left side of engine was also leaking bad enough to coat the peg, sprocket, kickstand, skid plate)...
Old rides:
too many to list
ncj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #4
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
Got back from a trip to Montana and discovered oil leaking from the rear valve cover. narrowed it down to the vent line that runs up to the airbox. it appeared the screw was loose so I tried to tighten and it just spins, the threads are stripped out of the cover?
talked to the dealer and they are 3+ weeks out not counting the 2 weeks of the Sturgis Rally that they won't be able to do anything but Rally work.. A little talking to the service manager and he said if I bring the cover in they can heli-coil it and get it back to me in a day or two.. not the best deal, but acceptable to me. fortunately the cover is fairly easily removed without taking anything off but the seat and loosening the brake lines.
dropped it off today and we'll see how soon they call.. I may ask them to warranty me a new one, but didn't want to wait for it at this point (it's only $63).
Still love this thing!! 1200 miles over the weekend (only a hundred or so off road) and an overall average of 48.3MPG running mostly in the 80-90mph range!!

How much oil was it leaking? The 48mpg, were you running without panniers?

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #5
Black Hills OP
Studly Adventurer

Just enough to coat the side and back of the rear cylinder, not dripping on the ground. Appears to be fixed now? I was running with just a tank bag and a Kriega 20 on the read rack.
Old Today, 06:06 AM   #6
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Is it possible you have it set to Imperial gallons? I've averaged a solid 44mpg over 7400 miles but it drops to 40 mpg if I run anything over 75.
strider.deano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #7
Black Hills OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Is it possible you have it set to Imperial gallons? I've averaged a solid 44mpg over 7400 miles but it drops to 40 mpg if I run anything over 75.

No, I checked it at the pump when I filled up, I couldn't believe it either. usually runs around 40-44 at home, but both Colorado and MT/WY trips have been close to 50? must like the mountains, good reason to go back!!
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #8
scudrunner82
clean chain therapy

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
No, I checked it at the pump when I filled up, I couldn't believe it either. usually runs around 40-44 at home, but both Colorado and MT/WY trips have been close to 50? must like the mountains, good reason to go back!!

Mine gets the best milage at a steady 75-80 MPH around these parts at sea level.

I've seen close to 50MPG too.

I've never owned a bike that can range anywhere from the 20s to almost 50 MPG depending on how you ride it

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #9
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Well getting it helicoiled needs to be done, but that retaining plate is just to make sure it stays in the hole. The O-ring is what seals it.

Mine is doing the same thing. I think I am going to try another material (hydrogenated nitrile instead of just nitrile: higher temp and oil resistance), or a slightly thicker ring if it is available. Seems to be a common problem.
Old Today, 02:12 PM   #10
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I just looked up the parts schematic... looks like the outer o-ring (18) is is Viton already. Still maybe upgrading the inner (19) will help prevent future leaks.

Old Today, 02:12 PM   #11
Black Hills OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Well getting it helicoiled needs to be done, but that retaining plate is just to make sure it stays in the hole. The O-ring is what seals it.

Mine is doing the same thing. I think I am going to try another material (hydrogenated nitrile instead of just nitrile: higher temp and oil resistance), or a slightly thicker ring if it is available. Seems to be a common problem.

I think the stripped bolt loosened up and allowed it to leak, but I'm not sure? but it together last night but only rode about 30 miles, but it seems to be sealed?
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #12
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I was checking the bike last week and noticed oil dripping on the rear valve cover aswell. I checked the inside of the airbox, equipped with a Uni filter, and discovered a fair bit of oil in the bottom of the airbox. The oil seemed very thick and sticky. I'm hoping the oil came from an oversoaked Uni Filter and was just dripping onto the rear valve cover as it was wicked through the foam gasket on the zirbox cover. I don't think the engine has too much oil and had some pushed into the airbox from the crankcase breather hose. When the bike is warm I still have a bit of space showing at the top of the sight glass. I've ridden over 5000 miles since the last service and didn't notice any leaking oil until last week.

Semper Fi
IBA 42163
SonoraDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #13
Paulev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Off thread a little but oil related. I'm on the way from the
Uk to the Alps. Before theirs trip my 1190R had used about .5 ltr/1pnt in 2000 Mls. Done 580 Mls in two days, mostly motorway/ autoroute two up with luggage and it'd consumed another .5 ltr/1pnt. It. No smoke from exhaust, got the Unifilter fitted but it still seems like heavy oil consumption.
Paulev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #14
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulev View Post
Off thread a little but oil related. I'm on the way from the
Uk to the Alps. Before theirs trip my 1190R had used about .5 ltr/1pnt in 2000 Mls. Done 580 Mls in two days, mostly motorway/ autoroute two up with luggage and it'd consumed another .5 ltr/1pnt. It. No smoke from exhaust, got the Unifilter fitted but it still seems like heavy oil consumption.
I wouldn't worry... my RC8R used a total of 1.5L extra up to 3k miles and then used none. It is probably just that you followed the owners manual and switched to synthetic at 1000km-600mi before the engine was broken in.
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #15
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think the stripped bolt loosened up and allowed it to leak, but I'm not sure? but it together last night but only rode about 30 miles, but it seems to be sealed?
Maybe, but if you try to remove it you will see it has its own retention and that y bracket doesn't put any pressure on the face.. I am pretty sure you could run it without that and nothing will happen except it could come out eventually.

FWIW, I ordered new viton seals for both, and the outer one in both 1.5x15 and 2.0x15 sizes. Going to try the thicker one if it fits... if not will stick with the 1.5.