ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
jmvance1 OP
Mountain cruiser

Oddometer: 97
04 950 front brake pad replacement w/single retainer clip?

I have an early 2004 950 adventure. While installing a new set of wheels and tires today I decided to change the front brake pads while I was at it since there about half worn-out . The pad pins (bolts) are kept in place by a single retaining clip. Not two as shown in the shop manual and in the how section of orange crush.

With the retaining clips removed both pins spin freely but will not come out of the caliper. I even tried using a punch and dead blow hammer tapping gently to see if I could get them to move out without any luck. I have owned several KTM's and other motorcycles and always do my own service work. This should be a super simple task but I'm at a bit of a loss about why the pins won't come out. Figure I'm missing some easy step.....

I checked carefully to make sure that there wasn't a set of retaining clips missing, there is not as there's only one hole drilled in each pin. Also my pins are flush with the outside of the caliper and don't extend beyond the outside surface of the caliper as shown in the service manual. So I'm thinking I have some early or different version of pins installed on my bike. The end of the pin is round so there's no way to get a socket or other tool on it for unscrewing it. I spun it around several times and it did not want to come out or unscrew.
O
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way.
jmvance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,813
They do have one pin and clip on the front calippers (two clips and one pin on the rear brake calipper).

You have to tap it out with a hammer + screwdriver* or similiar that fits in the little hole on the "Brembo" side. (puting it back is also done this way, but from the other side ofcourse)

* I use a little allen wrench and tap on it with the hammer

Sumi screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 12:48 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

I've took some pictures for you, this is how it looks like normally (well probably not this messy):

The pin is flush on this side.

And you tap the pin out from this side after pulling the clip (might take some effort).

Old 05-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
jmvance1 OP
Mountain cruiser

Thanks Sumi,

That is exactly what I have. It's interesting the photo in the manual is of a rear brake caliper in the front caliper section. I did try tapping the pins through the small hole very lightly and either pin didn't move at all so I decided to stop and ask the question rather than break something.

I had the wheel off while I was trying to remove the pins now that it's all back together I'll try tapping again. I guess if that doesn't work I can always remove the calipers and do it on the bench.

Thanks for your quick response and the photos I really appreciate it!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvance1 View Post
Thanks Sumi,

That is exactly what I have. It's interesting the photo in the manual is of a rear brake caliper in the front caliper section. I did try tapping the pins through the small hole very lightly and either pin didn't move at all so I decided to stop and ask the question rather than break something.

I had the wheel off while I was trying to remove the pins now that it's all back together I'll try tapping again. I guess if that doesn't work I can always remove the calipers and do it on the bench.

Thanks for your quick response and the photos I really appreciate it!
Actually it's easier to do with the wheel in place, as the fork legs can't rotate that way - okay, doing it on the bench is probably the easiest:).. It takes some big hits to get the pin out, don't be afraid (also has a metalic sound when tapping, but that's normal) Don't forget to use copper paste on the pin on reassembly, so the pads can slide easily on the pin

Sumi screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 01:19 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
jmvance1 OP
Mountain cruiser

This is what the manual and how section show for front pad replacement, it's obviously not correct information:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...eplacement.jpg
Old 05-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, that looks incorrect.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

This is how it is done (after pulling the clip ;)):

Old 05-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvance1 View Post
This is what the manual and how section show for front pad replacement, it's obviously not correct information:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...eplacement.jpg
That's an EXC/SX caliper, not an Adventure caliper. Mistake in the book!
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
That's an EXC/SX caliper, not an Adventure caliper. Mistake in the book!
+1.

Also the rear calipper on the ADV is the same as the front on the EXC.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Actually it's easier to do with the wheel in place, as the fork legs can't rotate that way - okay, doing it on the bench is probably the easiest:).. It takes some big hits to get the pin out, don't be afraid (also has a metalic sound when tapping, but that's normal) Don't forget to use copper paste on the pin on reassembly, so the pads can slide easily on the pin
Yes rub the pin down and lube. It's takes the little details like this to give this brake it's full potential. Then it works fine with OEM parts but great with HH pads.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
jmvance1 OP
Mountain cruiser

Got it, thanks everyone. I'm just not in the habit of whacking on the old girl too hard, usually just a few taps and whatever I need to come loose does. These front pins are about as hard to get off as the steering head bearing races were. I'll soak them a bit with penetrating oil and then whack on them. The rear slid right out with finger pressure....