User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
How long will a 990adv last??? Part 2

I was given a good offer from my Mexican Insurance Company to repair my 2007 KTM 990 Adventure! But I have not received the money yet. I decided to "gift" the 2007 990 to to my cousin who is a huge KTM fan, past owner and racer as well. I had my daughter purchase a low mileage 2010 KTM 990 Adventure for me while I was still in Mexico.

My original Thread "How long will a 990adv last???" was trying to determine the 990s reliability for long distance travel and it's ability to be reliable for 100,000 miles plus. I can't say that the question has been totally answered, but it has been satisfied enough that there was no real question as to what the 2007 990 would be replaced with! OK, I give a little thought to the new 1190s, but decided to wait a while for that.

Due to the interest in the original Thread while it was active and because I would like to keep info flowing for my own purposes and maybe help someone else as well, I am starting a new Thread for the new to me 2010 KTM 990 Adventure.

The new one is white.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 04:01 AM
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am beginning to research the difference between the 2007 and the 2010. The one tooth lower front sprocket can certainly be felt. I like the Ambient Temp read out as well!

I welcome all input!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

This moto has FMF pipes with both FMF and KTM embossed on the pipes. No badge or color. Can someone tell me about them, I have done a search and not found anything yet? The seller is the second owner and said the FI was remapped when the pipes were put on, but don't know if it has the S map. Any easy way to tell? It is certainly more peppy than my 2007, but it is down one tooth on the front sprocket.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

The new moto has a Continental Trail Attack mounted on the rear. What kind of mileage should I expect with this tire at regular Adventure Touring south of the border? How does it handle gravel and dirt compared to the stock tires? I was running Heidenaus on my 2007 and like them except the front didn't seem to balance very well.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 04:46 PM
Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Options on the moto now:

Laminar Lip and some type short aftermarket screen - seems to work very well;
KTM Heated Grips;
Southwest Engine Guards;
Butt Buffer - I have never used one of these;
Shad KTM 37 Liter Trunk - Seems sort of flimsy to me;
Gobi Saddlebags and Rack;
FMF KTM Mufflers - I would like to know a bit more about these pipes;
KTMTwins Handlebar Risers;
KTM Tankbag; and
KTM Rearbag.

Thing ordered and on the way:

CJ Racer Oil Change Hose;
Orange Valve Caps;
Foot Extender;
Right Mirror Relocator;
Auxillary Lights;
Blackdog Side Stand Relocator; and
Stainless Steel Oil Filter.

This already purchased for the 2007, but not installed, that will go to the 2010:

A Second Cooling Fan and
An Orange Timing Cover Plug.

What else do I need?

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 07:52 PM
Old 01-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

The moto has 6,540 miles, plus 30 I put on it. I am in Dallas and will go to Mississippi Monday and title the bike there. Then it will be back to south Mexico and on to Central America.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,363
n

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I don't know if this is really (again) about how long a 990 will last or more about your own bike setup? I think that's the reason there are a lot of views with no replies.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
I don't know if this is really (again) about how long a 990 will last or more about your own bike setup? I think that's the reason there are a lot of views with no replies.

While I am sharing what options my moto has and those that I plan to add, it is still intended as a Thread concerning how well these motos will do at high mileage. I have more confidence in their abilility to attain higher mileage today than I did with the original Thread, but I still have no reason to think or believe that these machines will attain 100,000, 200,000 miles or more of relative trouble free service.

The 2007 990 has 38,000 miles on it and had no problems during that time! I only rode 30,600 miles last year and 11,000 of that was on my R1100GS, that will change this year. When I had the accident Dec 1, I was 300 miles into a 4,000 mile trip that would be completed before Christmas. Then I was to be headed to central America Dec 29, but I was without a moto from Dec 1 till yesterday.

I am confident that there will be folks that will contribute to this Thread as they did in the first thread and I hope there are people , especially me, that benefit from it.

In case you have not seen the other thread, it is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888788
Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
I don't agree with that statement at all. Donnie hammers the hell out of his motorcycles as he was showing on the last one and the multiple bikes before that. Donnie has explained in the past that his moto is just a tool for him to get down the road most of the time, no more or no less. He accepts the known issues as the known issues with a pragmatic attitude, addresses them and is going to see what happens. This guy rides a ton and I am thankful he has chosen my brand to pile some miles on because it is interesting to me. It's to bad the last experiment stopped but it won't take long on this one. The funny thing through Donnie's writing/documenting is that it seems that just a little hint of the orange fever is getting in to his blood. Keep on rolling Donnie!
Grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,188
Tracking this one now...

O.K.... So I'm glad you we're compelled to continue on with Orange instead of going Beemer ( selfishly). That shows me you've gained some confidence with it. And hopefully you like it's overall character.

I'll continue to follow along, to see if in fact you have a successful 100K journey... as is what I'm hoping over the course of my bike's lifetime.

So thanks for sharing your experience with us again!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman View Post
I don't agree with that statement at all. Donnie hammers the hell out of his motorcycles as he was showing on the last one and the multiple bikes before that. Donnie has explained in the past that his moto is just a tool for him to get down the road most of the time, no more or no less. He accepts the known issues as the known issues with a pragmatic attitude, addresses them and is going to see what happens. This guy rides a ton and I am thankful he has chosen my brand to pile some miles on because it is interesting to me. It's to bad the last experiment stopped but it won't take long on this one. The funny thing through Donnie's writing/documenting is that it seems that just a little hint of the orange fever is getting in to his blood. Keep on rolling Donnie!

The 2007 is still in the family and I fully expect it to see a return to Mexico! And yes, I may be getting a bit of Orange in my blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
O.K.... So I'm glad you we're compelled to continue on with Orange instead of going Beemer ( selfishly). That shows me you've gained some confidence with it. And hopefully you like it's overall character.

I'll continue to follow along, to see if in fact you have a successful 100K journey... as is what I'm hoping over the course of my bike's lifetime.

So thanks for sharing your experience with us again!!!

I can assure you, no one benefited as much from the first thread as I did and I am sure that will be the case again!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, that tire question is for a Continental Trail Attack, not an Attack 2 as originally stated.

I snapped a few photos of the new moto, please excuse the quality.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

GPS related question. Here is the mount on the moto:

Can I get a 1" ball to replace the the small automotive type ball? Maybe the smaller part can be had as a 1". I have a handlebar U-mount, but I like this location better and hope to not drill more holes in the screen. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #15
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 647
Last time we see it that clean ??

Keep it up mate. I enjoy your write ups !