Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #1486
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkgd View Post
Grinns,
Just curious - what gear ratio are you running i.e. 16/45 or..? And how much is off road?
Currently, with the Akra map I am getting 30 -35 mpg, with 16/45 gear ration and running 70/30 offroad/on.
Thanks,
Bill
I get 40 tops with that combo and nobs.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #1487
the foolish fellow
UP FOR IT

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by the foolish fellow
I have loaded a couple of different maps today each time doing the 15 min idle. The bike has become pretty much unrideable. Although the idle settles at around 1750 as soon as you start reving the engine whether stationary or riding the bike the revs will not settle below 4-5k. I have reloaded the standard map that i saved from the bike but although the fuelling has reverted back to normal the throttle control has not. I loaded a U.S. map earlier in the week and got a purge valve fault code, reloading the original saved map brought the bike back to normal. However this has not sucessfully happened this time. What could i have done to mess this up ?
I loaded the standard map, switched off the ignition, switched the ignition back on and done a full rotation of the throttle, switched off ignition again and then performed the 15min idle.

I need some help if possible.
I'm not sure where you got the idea to twist the throttle after switching on the ignition...
Do not touch the throttle until the tach completes its sweep...then start normally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I'm not sure where you got the idea to twist the throttle after switching on the ignition...
Do not touch the throttle until the tach completes its sweep...then start normally...

The throttle wasn't touched until after the sweep. After loading the aka map and doing the 15min I took the bike out, I wasn't 20 seconds down the road when the throttle went crazy staying up about 5k .
the foolish fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1488
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I've now written a long winded reply for viol-lator twice, and lost it both times.

Sorry dude.

One quick easy thing to try is to turn off the O2 sensors and do another test.

Steve
I thought the O2 sensors were off if you are running the Akra map.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #1489
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
That's not always the case. With TuneEcu you can turn them on and off independently from the map you choose; I've seen akro maps both ways.

IN any case, if the nosedive in mileage was associated with mechanical changes, I think it's wise to double check those before going further with mapping. You're on the right track.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #1490
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
IN any case, if the nosedive in mileage was associated with mechanical changes, I think it's wise to double check those before going further with mapping. You're on the right track.
Air leak from the SAS removal, ECU compensates by dumping in more fuel = poor fuel mileage and gas smell

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #1491
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Air leak from the SAS removal, ECU compensates by dumping in more fuel = poor fuel mileage and gas smell
I think Viola-tor said the situation continued after loading a stock Akra (O2 sensors off supposedly, so ECU couldn't compensate) lending further credibility to some issue with canister or SAS removal.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #1492
the foolish fellow
UP FOR IT

Oddometer: 140
Done the whole lot again and took the bike out ror a run. She starts off fine idling at 1750 but once the revs get up they won't come down sitting at 6,000 in all of the gears. Pulling in the clutch makes no difference. I had to ride with the front brake.
How do I get this sorted ?
the foolish fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #1493
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
That was very helpful, thank you!

Another success(es): I've saved the stock map (the one that was on there anyway, I assume the orig), and have loaded the KM601AK0704501 '07/'08 Akro slip on/US spec map onto the ECU. Bravo for me! The voltage again dropped to 12.2 as I sat there, but then held steady there with tender connected.

I exited the program, disconnected, and the bike fired up just fine, but I didn't run it long or go for a ride to test yet. Maye tomorrow. I also ran all the tests that were available in the Testing area, it was cool to hear the bike clicking and whirring without me touching it! It looks like everything passed (I'm assuming it would tell me if it didn't?).

My main concern at this point is MPG. After removing canni/SAS I'm getting confirmed 23mpg (down from mid 30's, which still wasn't great IMO) and I smell gas all the time. The bike feels fine, plenty of normal power and zoom, but having the reserve light on at 86 miles simply will not do. DirtJack's '07 990 down the road gets 40+ mpg, also with canni/SAS removed, so something is def out of place.

Thoughts? I've heard the Akro maps can make mpg even worse... I guess a test will tell!
Re-reading your post, I don't see you mention that you did the 15 minute idle or the throttle grip calibration after loading the Akra map.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #1494
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Re-reading your post, I don't see you mention that you did the 15 minute idle or the throttle grip calibration after loading the Akra map.
I most certainly did do 15 min idle.

Grip calib? No, didn't do that... What's the "official" procedure for that for the LC8? On my BMW it was turn on ignition (don't start bike), and then move throttle from full closed to full open to full closed, twice, then turn off ignition.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #1495
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by the foolish fellow View Post
Done the whole lot again and took the bike out ror a run. She starts off fine idling at 1750 but once the revs get up they won't come down sitting at 6,000 in all of the gears. Pulling in the clutch makes no difference. I had to ride with the front brake.
How do I get this sorted ?
Did you do the 15min with a cold engine and without touching the throttle?, because i readed last week on a dutch forum. somebody with a superduke who was suffering with the same problems.But he finally got it solved with a proper 15min idle
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #1496
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
I most certainly did do 15 min idle.

Grip calib? No, didn't do that... What's the "official" procedure for that for the LC8? On my BMW it was turn on ignition (don't start bike), and then move throttle from full closed to full open to full closed, twice, then turn off ignition.
it's the same procedure but just one thottle action from full closed to full open to full closed.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #1497
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
it's the same procedure but just one thottle action from full closed to full open to full closed.

Before 15 min idle?

Gracias!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #1498
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

According to the TuneEcu guys, there is no "throttle calibration" for the 990 ECU, only the 15 min reset.

Steve

"Reset - Keihin ECU - only KTM

After downloading a FI-map, start the engine and let runnig it idle (without touching accelerator) for 15 minutes,
then turn it off.

After downloading a EP-map, Following a mapping download into the ECU, turn off the ignition (key) , turn on the ignition, slowly rotate the Throttle until full throttle then slowly close the throttle, turn off the ignition."
For the KTM 690 both cards are always required (FI and EP-Map)
FI is a acronym for EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection
EP is a acronym for EPT = Electronic Power Throttle"

From superduke net:

Have a look at this it might explain it !! for KTM 690. I think the EP map is more to do with bikes with fly by wire.

About 690 EFI mappings
KTM 690 models all have the same Keihin EFI system. This EFI system is different in a number of ways than on most - if not all - other bikes. It uses a 46mm single valve throttle body with two ECUs. One controling the fueling & ignition and the other controling the throttle valve through semi ride-by-wire. The ECUs interact with each other communicating over a CAN-BUS connection (CAN-H & CAN-L in the drawing). The two cables from the throttle grip hook up to the throttle valve but the ECU has the ability to 'take over' if needed. Closing the throttle valve is 'hard wired' for safety reasons. Under normal conditions the throttle valve will follow the commands from the rider 1:1. But if the throttle commands get outside the working parameters of the engine, the ECU will take over controlling the throttle valve in a way that the engine will keep performing optimal. For instance; wacking the throttle wide open in a split second at 2500 RPM in 5th gear will normally stall the engine. This is when the throttle ECU takes over and opens the throttle as quickly as the engine will allow without stalling. A neat and sophisticated system that works really well. The fact that you never feel the ECU taking over when riding a 690 kinda shows how good it works.

Because of the setup with two ECUs the 'mapping' or 'fuel map' for a 690 also consists of two parts/files. A map (file) for the fueling: ....FI.BLZ and a file for the throttle: ....EP.BLZ. This has led to problems and confusion with both dealers and owners. The two parts of a fuel map belong together and are NOT interchangeable with other fuel maps. When updating or changing the fuel map it is critical that both files are downloaded to the bikes' ECUs.

===

There is no "EP" map on the 990, therefore, no throttle calibration is required.

Steve

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 01:34 PM
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #1499
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
According to the TuneEcu guys, there is no "throttle calibration" for the 990 ECU, only the 15 min reset.

Steve
True but the throttle calibration is a reset for the ISC which I think is worth checking in his situation. But you are correct that it has nothing to do with a map upload.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1500
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Idle speed control? Got docs on how the reset works? Is this different than doing the throtle cable adjustment?

Is the reset independent of TuneEcu? That'd explain why I'm clueless...

You're talking to the fella with the high idle, not viola-tor with the poor mpg, right? We've got two issues running together here...

S