User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #1561
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 708
help

Ok I have read some of this thread but pardon me for not wanting to read 100+ pages ... I bought my bike with about 34,000 miles on it and it's running WAY too lean to suit me. I like the 45 mpg but I don't like blue pipe, white plugs, and premature engine problems soooo I need some advice from the people who know what they are talking about ...

My set up will soon be as follows and is on a 2008 990ADV...

2 into 1 Remus exhaust
CPR Air box delete/filter
no emissions crap

The PO said it has the Akra Tune on it but I have not personally messed with it because I don't have that cable yet. I wanted to know the best way to remedy this problem before I started spending money. I have had several suggestions such as electronics to fool the computer into fueling more or powercomaders but if I can use the tune ECU stuff I MUCH prefer that.

thank you in advance for the advice
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #1562
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
Ok I have read some of this thread but pardon me for not wanting to read 100+ pages ... I bought my bike with about 34,000 miles on it and it's running WAY too lean to suit me. I like the 45 mpg but I don't like blue pipe, white plugs, and premature engine problems soooo I need some advice from the people who know what they are talking about ...

My set up will soon be as follows and is on a 2008 990ADV...

2 into 1 Remus exhaust
CPR Air box delete/filter
no emissions crap

The PO said it has the Akra Tune on it but I have not personally messed with it because I don't have that cable yet. I wanted to know the best way to remedy this problem before I started spending money. I have had several suggestions such as electronics to fool the computer into fueling more or powercomaders but if I can use the tune ECU stuff I MUCH prefer that.

thank you in advance for the advice

There is something wrong here? You can't be too lean and have the Akra map in the ECU. White plugs are pretty normal with FI. It's much harder to read. If you were lean, you would have poor throttle response. The cool thing is after you get the cable you can easily add fuel. Save your map first before you start adding fuel.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1563
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
There is something wrong here? You can't be too lean and have the Akra map in the ECU. White plugs are pretty normal with FI. It's much harder to read. If you were lean, you would have poor throttle response. The cool thing is after you get the cable you can easily add fuel. Save your map first before you start adding fuel.
Well I definitely do NOT have a response issue but it does have a hesitation at about 4800 or 5000 RPM if you open her up... if you role on it goes past 5000 easily but if it's wide open it kind of gets stuck at 5000 for a little bit...

yes the air filter is clean.
yest the fuel filters are clean.
the plugs don't look too worn.
and no, no hoses were pinched I checked .

Well It looks like I need to just get the cable and do a bit of tweaking.

So if the plugs are normal then what about the blue pipe? It's blue all the way back to the muffler I have just always been told that these were bad signs ...
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #1564
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
Well I definitely do NOT have a response issue but it does have a hesitation at about 4800 or 5000 RPM if you open her up... if you role on it goes past 5000 easily but if it's wide open it kind of gets stuck at 5000 for a little bit...

yes the air filter is clean.
yest the fuel filters are clean.
the plugs don't look too worn.
and no, no hoses were pinched I checked .

Well It looks like I need to just get the cable and do a bit of tweaking.

So if the plugs are normal then what about the blue pipe? It's blue all the way back to the muffler I have just always been told that these were bad signs ...
Don't think I've seen one blue all the way back to the mufflers. That's not right. When you get the cable put in the real Akra map just to see what too rich is. If you don't mind the bad mpg it's fine. Now, if you want to tune it you already have the rpm you just need to know at what TPS vs rpm to change. Mark your throttle tube and grip like this.

At the beginning of that fine red finger nail polish(thanks MrsTahoeacr) on the grip first lines up with the mark on the housing that is 5%tps. When there even it's 10%. When the top of the grip mark lines up with the bottom of the thick housing mark is 15%. The other marks are 25,50 and 75% TPS. Get the idea? You have to know where the fuel needs to be added. Also just setting the TPS and sync the throttle bodies does alot.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #1565
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 528
I'm in the similar boat as Pistolero, I have an 07 990A, 2 into 1, single Akra slip on and just installed the CPR Rottweiler filter. And I have 100's of pages of posts to read. I also want to use a Tune ECU.

Can anyone recommend a map and a range of post #'s to read?
Ed
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #1566
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
I'm in the similar boat as Pistolero, I have an 07 990A, 2 into 1, single Akra slip on and just installed the CPR Rottweiler filter. And I have 100's of pages of posts to read. I also want to use a Tune ECU.

Can anyone recommend a map and a range of post #'s to read?
Ed

I am using the AKRO Map with the O2 sensor turned ON. I have the 2:1 system with a single Remus Ti can and this setup seems to work OK. Average about 33-36 MPG. There is a very slight pause at 4K RPM sometimes, but it is FAR FAR better than with the stock mapping. If I turn the O2 sensor OFF, my mileage drops into the high 20's and I don't really see any other improvements....
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #1567
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,697
You guys installed the CPR filter without a proper map Maybe I'm wrong and the ECU can compensate
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #1568
EdGear
Edventurer

The plan was always to install the proper map. They are not readily available yet for the 990 Adv.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #1569
EdGear
Edventurer

It might be a couple weeks before I can take delivery of a Tune ECU cable.
Building one will take as long or longer.

Is there anyone in the SF Bay Area with a Tune ECU cable I could use to load a map? I'll have the map downloaded to a USB drive.

Ed
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #1570
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:

Is there anyone in the SF Bay Area with a Tune ECU cable I could use to load a map? I'll have the map downloaded to a USB drive.

Ed

I'll be trading services with someone down in Moss Landing on Sunday. He is doing some welding for me on my ADV tank brace and I am going to test some maps on his 990. I have the laptop, cable, and .hex files. You are welcome to stop over for a quick flash as it literally takes less than 5 minutes. PM me your email and phone and I will be confirming all of this over the next 2 days. You can bring your USB drive as well. Make sure your battery is FULLY charged just in case.

Chris
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #1571
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
For those of you that have installed bungs for a wideband sensor,Where did you put them..??

Any pics??

Thanks
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #1572
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
You guys installed the CPR filter without a proper map Maybe I'm wrong and the ECU can compensate
Nope mine is still in the mail... I have a ton of parts on the way so now I have down time to try to figure out this mapping junk... But I was banking on the 15 minute idle trick would compensate for the CPR.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #1573
EdGear
Edventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I'll be trading services with someone down in Moss Landing on Sunday. He is doing some welding for me on my ADV tank brace and I am going to test some maps on his 990. I have the laptop, cable, and .hex files. You are welcome to stop over for a quick flash as it literally takes less than 5 minutes. PM me your email and phone and I will be confirming all of this over the next 2 days. You can bring your USB drive as well. Make sure your battery is FULLY charged just in case.

Chris
PM'd ya
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #1574
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:

Ed
You can pm me your info if you'd like. I'm in Campbell.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #1575
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Oddometer: 32
Hi, just take out the narrow band and presto, bung ready :) if you still want to run closed loop get a wide band with an extra narrow band emulating output. I think using tuneecu closed loop sort of defeats the object, the ecu will try and undo all your hard work to get to a lambda that you can't change. As far as I know noone knows what that is or at what point it swaps between open and.closed. This would be a nice update ;-) :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
For those of you that have installed bungs for a wideband sensor,Where did you put them..??

Any pics??

Thanks
MotorOlly is offline   Reply With Quote