Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #1576
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Oddometer: 32
Here is a very technical question so appologies in advance :)
My datalogger seems to be logging double the rpm on over run sometimes. It's taking the rpms off the injector pulse and it looks like it might be happening when there is enough overrun to shut off the injectors ie shut throttle with revs over 6k. Does anyone know if there is something.that happens when the.injectors shut.off that might.cause this? Some very short pwm pulses for some reason maybe?
One other while I'm at it :) the map sensor outputs pulses as the valves open and close, do the entries in thw table represent peak or average vacuum? I'm guessing peak but... The next question would then be when there is a table axis with say 300, 400, 500, does an entry in the table for eg. 400 mean all values from 350-450 or 300-400 or 400-500?
I'm trying to get the logger to generate matching tables to those in the ecu but with lambda values instead of injector ms!
Thanks in advance :)
Olly
MotorOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #1577
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorOlly View Post
My datalogger seems to be logging double the rpm on over run sometimes. It's taking the rpms off the injector pulse and it looks like it might be happening when there is enough overrun to shut off the injectors ie shut throttle with revs over 6k. Does anyone know if there is something.that happens when the.injectors shut.off that might.cause this? Some very short pwm pulses for some reason maybe?
One other while I'm at it :) the map sensor outputs pulses as the valves open and close, do the entries in thw table represent peak or average vacuum? I'm guessing peak but... The next question would then be when there is a table axis with say 300, 400, 500, does an entry in the table for eg. 400 mean all values from 350-450 or 300-400 or 400-500?
I'm trying to get the logger to generate matching tables to those in the ecu but with lambda values instead of injector ms!
Olly
Hello Olly,

I don't have any experience with picking up the rpm at the injector, but would it not be easier to pick this at the tacho output from the ecu (blue/white wire).
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #1578
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
Hello Olly,

I don't have any experience with picking up the rpm at the injector, but would it not be easier to pick this at the tacho output from the ecu (blue/white wire).
Hey Spark01 Yep you're right, thanks! I was hoping I could build the datalogger so it would just plug in to the throttle body harness down on the right hand site, where the connector is behind the radiator. I think you are right though, I'm going to have to give in to a few other connections, MAP sensors included. I had a 'scope on the bike this evening and found some stuff that confirms the injector signal isn't going to be suitable, some grabs of the traces below, yellow is injector, blue is TPS. Its as if when the injector duration gets too long the ECU starts a new pulse just after the first one, quite why I have no idea! Could the ECU have been designed for quad injectors and the outputs for the high rev injectors are now commoned to the low ones, they were just starting to kick in? Thermal limit of the injector coil? Four cylinder ECU that's been adapted? Answers on a post card Anyway looks like I have the answer to this one, this is why the frequency doubled at certain points during a run. Second trace is interesting too, test was done reving the engine in neutral with clutch out, seemed like maybe a rev limit stopping it from reving too high without being under load? The second cut out I would have guessed was an over run shutoff if it wasn't for the first one which happened while throttle was still open.
May sound crazy but I love getting inside this stuff, even if all I find is more questions!
Olly
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #1579
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Question

Hmm, images didn't show up =(
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxY...01RWWFPWXEtTVU
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxY...jg4YWIxUUxnN00
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #1580
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1581
plumbtired
plunging into the farkle

Oddometer: 184
Cool2

? Which map works best with 09 & up FMF KTM cans on an 08 990A.

08 990
98 DR

plumbtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #1582
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbtired View Post
? Which map works best with 09 & up FMF KTM cans on an 08 990A.
Try a Akro map I guess? If they are race cans of similar length/bore they are all much for much unless they have pulse tuning features in my experience (tappered cans, headers, crossovers etc). It'll be stikin' rich at least so probably be safe
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #1583
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 744
Do you guys think that the AKRA map would be enough fuel for my 2008 990ADV running a Remus single side exhaust and a CPR foam filter?
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #1584
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
Do you guys think that the AKRA map would be enough fuel for my 2008 990ADV running a Remus single side exhaust and a CPR foam filter?
Everyone I know (self included) runs the standard map for the Remus single side exhaust. I'm using the DNR filter.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #1585
War Piglet
n00b

Oddometer: 9
2011 US Map

FYI

I picked up a 2010 KTM Adventure a couple weeks ago after it had languished on a dealer's showroom floor for a couple years. Naturally it ran like crap, and I noticed it had the 2009 map loaded into the ECU. I was about to copy the 2011 EU map into the ECU but thought I'd wait to see what the dealer might do on the first service. Indeed the shop loaded the US version of that map and the bike runs very well.

I'm attempting to post that map so others can download it - however that may take a little while to show up. In the interim you can simply copy the stuff off the EU version into something you have been working with and load that into your ECU. I compared the two and they are identical. If you need extra ponies just modify the secondary throttle as per the R version, I suppose.

Mine is a standard setup bike - stock everything - that is no pipes or air box mods and so on.

Edited - file sent. Look for KM601US1102001Map.hex

2013 BMW F800GS
2012 Ural Patrol
2010 WR250R

War Piglet screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 12:46 PM Reason: Add file name
War Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #1586
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorOlly View Post
Olly
I have that same question but with out seeing the internals (code/hardware) I would have no idea. My guess is that they filter out the noise(engine) or do some sort of averaging.

I could figure it out probably if I bought a data logger of observing values and trying some calculations on the raw data, but it doesn't help me any at this moment.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #1587
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Everyone I know (self included) runs the standard map for the Remus single side exhaust. I'm using the DNR filter.
The cpr filter is slightly different.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761703

this is what I'm putting on mine
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #1588
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
The cpr filter is slightly different.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761703

this is what I'm putting on mine
Yeah, ordered one of those myself. If the stock map seems lean then run the Akrapovic map. I think this is really going to need a custom Tune to get right. Once I get mine installed that's what I'm planning.

Moto-Treks
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #1589
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Yeah, ordered one of those myself. If the stock map seems lean then run the Akrapovic map. I think this is really going to need a custom Tune to get right. Once I get mine installed that's what I'm planning.
Well hook me up when you get that sorted out ...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #1590
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Well hook me up when you get that sorted out ...
Yeah - thats what I'll do but if you can't wait that long then you may want to check out CPR FAB as they are planning to have maps available

Moto-Treks