Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #2146
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 835
I have been reading some of this thread with interest as I have just got a 07 990 Adv.
If I wanted to try to get better (smoother) throttle reponce down low, an I right in the following.
Get cable, download apropriate map into computer, hook it up to bike, down load map into bike, do 15 minute idle, ride.
If I want to get a tuner to fine tune it, would he have the ability to alter the map or is a PCommander needed?
Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #2147
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Once you put the stock air box back on, the PowerTripp 2-1 map would be an excellent starting point. Name: Power-TrippKTM990advWINGS.hex.
Very smooth throttle, 38-42 mpg. Comes with the TuneECU map set for the KTM's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Will Power-TrippKTM990advWINGS.hex work well with Remus Roxx 2-into-1 and stock air box/filter?
Other recommendations?
'13 990 - Wings dual exhaust, stock paper filter. Just looking to smoothen the low RPM throttle response so I'm not shooting off the trails while creeping along. Might give a G2 cam a go if I can't sort the 1rst gear snatchiness with an ECU update. Is the Power-Tripp still a decent map to try? Or is there a better choice for a dual can setup other than the Akra map? I'd like to keep my mileage around 38-40mpg if I can.

Cheers
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #2148
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Maybe

...although it is very likely that TPS adjustment and throttle body sync (actual hands on tools stuff using TuneEcu to check your results instead of having to pay a dealer to do it for you) will have more effect on your low rev smoothness. These two are regarded as necessary steps...unless your adjustments there are already ok. The TuneEcu displays will show you how close they are. No harm in just trying a new map to see if you like the results though...
A decent tuner with a dyno who has and knows TuneEcu should be able to get a very good map developed for you, specifically for your bike. Any map that you find and download is not tailored specifically for your bike...it may help (a little or a lot) but it is not fine tuned for your steed. They usually aim to get rid of the more emissions-oriented oddities in the factory maps that can give you fits. My understanding is that the older Power Commanders just apply band aids to your map and could never be as good as actually modifying the map...not sure about the new ones. I think the latest Power Commanders are a little different. Maybe someone with more knowledge of these can step in here.
One last thing, if you haven't done much reading here, note that there are two separate types of maps that are not interchangeable...an 07 will need an earlier map and 09-13 needs the later map. Don't try to load a newer map in an older bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I have been reading some of this thread with interest as I have just got a 07 990 Adv.
If I wanted to try to get better (smoother) throttle reponce down low, an I right in the following.
Get cable, download apropriate map into computer, hook it up to bike, down load map into bike, do 15 minute idle, ride.
If I want to get a tuner to fine tune it, would he have the ability to alter the map or is a PCommander needed?
Cheers.

RoundOz screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 04:16 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #2149
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
My suggestion is "if ain't broken, don't fix it", regarding the TPS. Not all 990's behave the same regarding the TPS.

If the idle is correct, there are no sudden RPM jumps with the engine accelerating by himself, or stalling, avoid touching the TPS.

verifying the TB's synch is recomendable, however there are different opinions if this should be done through tuneecu or with proper vacuum meters.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #2150
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
My suggestion is "if ain't broken, don't fix it", regarding the TPS. Not all 990's behave the same regarding the TPS.

If the idle is correct, there are no sudden RPM jumps with the engine accelerating by himself, or stalling, avoid touching the TPS.

verifying the TB's synch is recomendable, however there are different opinions if this should be done through tuneecu or with proper vacuum meters.
Yep, sounds about right to me. Good points. I did see where swapping the pressure inputs can show a built-in offset that needs to be accounted for. In other words, you are relying on the pressure sensors to be exactly equal to each other and they may not be, whereas it is pretty easy to check vacuum gauges against each other for accuracy.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #2151
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #2152
tremmy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Bitten the Bullet -tune help

Gday all, have read most of the pages here, and have finally bitten the bullet and are going to "tune ecu" my bike. Bike is an 09 990, wings (baffle in) and prefilter. had it remapped at the dealer with the R map. Works great, but need more range on some rides. Gained 10% torque and power with the remap, and coresponding drop in range.
Just thinking of going back to the original map, I believe from what I have read that this should be fine (?). Or has someone tailored a map to give me the R map power without the fuel consumptions.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers
tremmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #2153
turdfergeson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
I compared my plug to this pic- Mine is has 5 pins,
TacoSupreme:
Don't blow $90 on the cable set in your original post. I ordered the cables for $20 before shipping(links below) Using the pinout pic from the TuneECU site I just used my multimeter with one end stuck in the pins and the checked the bare/stripped wire ends of the OBDII cable until I found all 3. I just stuck the bare wires into the ECU harness for pins 1, 4 &6 and it connected right up with the TuneECU application.
The only difference I see with your connector and mine is that I only have 3 wires terminated in the connector harness but I think that's because I don't have ABS.

Background info: I did this for my 2013 990 Adv Baja to turn off the O2 sensors as a fix for the touchy throttle. (BTW, it did make a significant difference)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WIN8VQ/..._26725410_item

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...-end-1-ft.html
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #2154
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdfergeson View Post
Background info: I did this for my 2013 990 Adv Baja to turn off the O2 sensors as a fix for the touchy throttle. (BTW, it did make a significant difference)
Any possible negative effects of turning the O2 sensors off (with non-stock pipes of course) other than missing dinner cause I'm riding?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #2155
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Any possible negative effects of turning the O2 sensors off (with non-stock pipes of course) other than missing dinner cause I'm riding?
When my 2010 990 was tuned I was told that the O2 sensors were actually doing a good job to the surprise of the tuner. We decided to leave them on.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #2156
turdfergeson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
I should have mentioned the pipes/silencers are stock (Leo Vince's are back-ordered)and other than turning off the sensors I left the mapping stock. I've put ~100 offroad mi and ~250 street mi since changing the map and I don't have anything negative to note regarding ridability or performance.
I've read some claims of MPG improvement but I can't speak to that claim because this bike is so fuckin fun that I always forget to check the pump and reset the odo before I take off because I'm in hurry to get back to riding.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #2157
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,806
Typically, turning off the O2 sensors will impact your mileage at cruse speeds. If you are always on the throttle, you'll get bad mileage all the time anyway.

The R map has the sensors on, like the stock maps. The Akro maps all have the sensors turned off. A decent map is to use the Akro map, but turn the O2 sensors back on.

Of course, any map that is richer or just different than stock may fry or overheat the Cats. So, get slip-ons first.

To repeat, in my experience - you must get to the first valve adjust (9000 miles) to let the bike settle into its final settings. The valves will tighten, the TPS value will change and you may need to show an un-modified bike to get warranty issues covered by KTM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #2158
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

I am interested to know if anyone with the TuneECU map loaded up has had to get thier bikes ECU diagnosed at a dealer for any problems. Does having another map installed cause any issues?
Just asking cause I just read the following in a Aprilia forum I read a fair bit.

"My former Aprilia dealer was primarily a BMW shop. The owner of the shop (and head mechanic) related a story once about a customer's bike in for a quick check-up before going on vacation. The shop forgot that the owner had installed a headlight modulator (BMW guys are always safe). When the diagnostics got to the wiring section with the headlight, the computer said - "wtf is this"? and proceeded to completely crash the ecu! The shop had to get a new program emailed from Germany as each ECU apparently has its own coded tune. What should have been a quick check turned into hours of grief getting that customer back on the road. "

I hope KTM is not as map sensitive !!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #2159
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I am interested to know if anyone with the TuneECU map loaded up has had to get thier bikes ECU diagnosed at a dealer for any problems. Does having another map installed cause any issues?
Just asking cause I just read the following in a Aprilia forum I read a fair bit.

"My former Aprilia dealer was primarily a BMW shop. The owner of the shop (and head mechanic) related a story once about a customer's bike in for a quick check-up before going on vacation. The shop forgot that the owner had installed a headlight modulator (BMW guys are always safe). When the diagnostics got to the wiring section with the headlight, the computer said - "wtf is this"? and proceeded to completely crash the ecu! The shop had to get a new program emailed from Germany as each ECU apparently has its own coded tune. What should have been a quick check turned into hours of grief getting that customer back on the road. "

I hope KTM is not as map sensitive !!
Fooking German Big Brother. What do they care if you change anything? You paid for the bike, its yours to do with as you wish. JMO. Its not an issue with my 07 990, FWIW.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #2160
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Typically, turning off the O2 sensors will impact your mileage at cruse speeds. If you are always on the throttle, you'll get bad mileage all the time anyway.

-----

To repeat, in my experience - you must get to the first valve adjust (9000 miles) to let the bike settle into its final settings. The valves will tighten, the TPS value will change and you may need to show an un-modified bike to get warranty issues covered by KTM.
I see lots of bad fuel mileage in my future, LOL! Oh well, I'll carry 2 x 2 gallon rotopax on my luggage for tamer trips and a 3G on the tail rack when off road. Problem solved. As far as an unmodified bike for warranty issues? At 200kms it's probably completely void for me. I buy a bike to have it my way, not their way. I'm not an oxford top lawyer who wants to look cool, I wanna ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Fooking German Big Brother. What do they care if you change anything? You paid for the bike, its yours to do with as you wish. JMO. Its not an issue with my 07 990, FWIW.
^---- couldn't agree more.