Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #2176
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
...Can anyone explain, how to adjust throttle cables properly? Also what does reset the adaptive values mean?

--- reading through the hole thread is useful, takes some time but, please, do it...
I did that, all useful pages, many many 100:s of pages here in ADV ...
it is worth while here, so much gold in them to find, can't get that presious info in ktm-shops or anywhere else, they don't know - or tell you...! ---

adjust cables:
use tuneecu 'adjust cables' (tests, adjust throttle cable = free step motor), make 1-3 mm 'slack' with the 'screws' in the cable, so cables are not tight.
if you just tamper the cables, the ecu might hit the roof...

there is a step motor system (stupid thing, I say, too sophisticated...) for idling, but some 'old school' busy bodies might have tried to adjust you idling by cable to sh*t like mine was...

if you want to 'by pass' the 'step motor system', there is a mechanic way to do the basic idling by screw by the TB (old school way...), but with a cold motor you need then keep it running faster idling with your hand... not so convinient way to do it...

and to make final adjustments you need to remove the left tank and open that triangel-plate in the TB-box's side to get to that screw -- not a good idea, I think.

---

reset ad.vals:
tuneecu, tests, reset adaptation, let 15 min idle, that is it. (adaptation to climate, barometric, life and universe, and everything...)
or leave it to be, if no problems you have with bike running and driving, it resets simply by driving the bike, time and miles will adjust it anyway...
I feel that this 15 mins is taken too much as a magic for every problem... (?) :-) I have not found any differences but burning fuel to skies...

L

Loui€ screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 10:06 AM
Loui€ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #2177
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Not sure what you are meaning. Returned to stock map?
If you have a TuneEcu map and it works, let me know which one? What set up do you have as far as pipes etc?
I have a stock exhaust with the butterflies removed and a G2 throttle tube. I loaded what I assumed was a stock map and it is good to go.
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #2178
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Just found this thread.

The dealer wants too much $$$ for me to load the arko map on my 690.

Just got some goodies and before I put them on the bike I here updating the ecu is necessary. I have the wings slip on and the DNA open box air filter.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but I hope it's somewhat easy.

Gotta find a cable now :)
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #2179
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Anyone in CT with a cable?

Thought I would try and see if someone in CT has a cable and software to check my ECU and possibly make changes

I got this used 08 990 in January. It has this flat spot around 3800-4200 at 1/8 throttle, drive me nuts trying to follow someone in traffic at 45. It's not a throttle twitch, yes I have that too. This is a dead spot where the bike falls flat and stumbles for a second or 2 then revs fine. Aggressive riding thru that range is fine

I just changed the fuel filters, air filter, new spark plugs and it still has it. Bike just rolled 7k miles....

Any help is appreciated
Irideeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #2180
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irideeverything View Post
Thought I would try and see if someone in CT has a cable and software to check my ECU and possibly make changes

I got this used 08 990 in January. It has this flat spot around 3800-4200 at 1/8 throttle, drive me nuts trying to follow someone in traffic at 45. It's not a throttle twitch, yes I have that too. This is a dead spot where the bike falls flat and stumbles for a second or 2 then revs fine. Aggressive riding thru that range is fine
Can't help with geography issues, but sounds like the usual stock map stuff.

There are many ebay sellers sourcing the cable(s), get one read this thread (there's a compilation by Zuber and start discovering with baby steps the wonders of TuneEcu

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #2181
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

Hey PDX, just back from work and bar. I'm looking at the stock map and also the akro map. KTM put in a large Ign advance right at 8% throttle and between 2500-4500 rpm, the worst is the 3500 curve, which is very close to 55 mph in 6th gear. I think this was for emissions.

As you open the throttle, it advances the IGN to 8% throttle - the throttle is overly sensitive.
Then it retards until 15% throttle - the throttle seems dead until you get past this spot.

I've smoothed out some of the 07-08 990's by cutting off this ign peak (retarding) right at 8% and the curves between 2500-4000. It's usually safe to retard. It may help to advance it just above 15% throttle, but don't go very far to be safe.

For an education, compare the ign maps between the stock 09-10 Adv and PowerTrippsWings maps. His are very smooth and work.
For IrideEveryThing, From Page 136. Yes, quoting myself.

Archive Link, covers the highlights up to about pg 128:

http://www.toxplore.com/advrider/Tun...neECU_WIKI.pdf

Page 129

Zuber screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 06:25 PM
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #2182
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Thanks Zuber

Great summary, thanks.... I'll order my own cable and read, read,read u til it gets here, hopefully before the long weekend. I rode the bike last night and it was not even fun at times, that flat spot got worse again....

Seems like it gets bad after the stall when you pull the clutch in all the way too fast, that's when it started again. With the herky jerky throttle I have a tendency to ride the clutch I heavy traffic, slow speed situations. While at Twisted Throttle on Saturday I went to pull out of the huge crowd of bikes, someone walked right in front of me so instant reaction is to pull in the clutch and blip the throttle. It's how I ride my 450 EXC in rocky New England terrain....

Also, my mileage sucks, just under 30.

Anyone out there with experience with the Blue Tooth connector rather than the hard cable?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #2183
Irideeverything
Adventurer

NO cables HELP

So there are no cables around right now... Power cell sent his last batch to CJ. Dualsportwharehouse gets them from CJ but won't get them till the end of the week, and no luck contacting CJ

I called the local dealer and for around a hundred bucks they will connect it, check it, and reload the stock map if necessary, nothing more....

Anyone? Someone has to have one in CT....

I even tried Twisted Throttle since they have this new expanded service center, and no luck...

I rode last night and came home after 25 miles or so because it was just not fun!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2184
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irideeverything View Post
Anyone? Someone has to have one in CT....

I rode last night and came home after 25 miles or so because it was just not fun!!!
Where in CT?
I am in Northern NJ and have a cable - scheduled to go to Fairfield this Saturday
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #2185
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Cable

Dead center of CT. Berlin to be exact.

I would be willing to ride down to Fairfield, but don't want to put you out too much.... Based on this...

Last night I broke every diagnostic rule and did 3 things at once to attempt to clear this situation.

Did the kill switch servo motor cable adjustment, added seafoam, and ran the 15 minute idle reset ECU thing.

Rode it this am and WOW, almost back to being good again. I can now ride and have fun at the same time again, so this buys me the time to receive my own cable in the mail.

I hope whatever I did to cause this does not happen again. Seems like it started after the engine cut out when I pulled the clutch all the way to the bars while blipping the throttle. What's up with that......
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #2186
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 857
Can you explain what......Did the kill switch servo motor cable adjustment.

Havnt herd of this one.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #2187
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
He means, he adjusted the throttle cables.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #2188
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 857
I know how to adjust carb`d throttle cables, but am afraid to touch these FI ones. If there is a fair amount of slack in the cable, can you mechanicaly adjust some slack out or does that throw the ECU out?

I did read somewhere about turning key on, kill switch on, slowly twist the throttle to full, then slowly twist till off.
Is this a bit of black magic, or is it a legit proceedure that should be done ?
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #2189
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
I know how to adjust carb`d throttle cables, but am afraid to touch these FI ones. If there is a fair amount of slack in the cable, can you mechanicaly adjust some slack out or does that throw the ECU out?

I did read somewhere about turning key on, kill switch on, slowly twist the throttle to full, then slowly twist till off.
Is this a bit of black magic, or is it a legit proceedure that should be done ?
That is a procedure done on the 690E. Tried once on the 990 but the bike was so messed up that even if i pressed the brake three times and applied the horn twice while singing We are the People - Empire of the Sun, it would change something on the bike... or in my head.

You can mechanicaly adjust the cables. There are adjusters near the grip, you have to unscrew a locking part and then screw/unscrew the other to adjust the slack.

After fixing the mapping and TPS (don't touch it unless utterly necessary) I ditched the tuneecu option to adjust cables and wih the engine warm and idling adjusted the slack to 2-3 degrees rotation on the grip. Be carefull to leave enough slack to enable steering operation.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #2190
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Yes, the standard throttle cable adjustment I read on here somewhere where you loosen both cables, use the kill switch to work the servo motor a few times, then re adjust.

Went for a decent ride last night, ran pretty well, but occasionally it acted up. Starting to wonder if it is fuel related. I only buy from major brand stations, like Mobile, only where I know the delivery truck actually has a Mobile logo on it, not some Acme Transport company....

Been using sea foam as well.

Fellow inmate Gixxersteph is shipping me a loaner cable, THANKS.

Now it looks like a rainy weekend up here..... Arghhhhhh....