ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2206
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
That 1.0v spec sounds like one I found in the 990 workshop manual.

I just found another spec from the KTM Electrical and Electronic manual>

With the engine warmed to 80 deg C (175 deg F), the 2nd throttle sensor should read 0.3 v at zero degrees of angle, 4.5v at full throttle.
Crap.... I have an 08. I cycled my 2nd TPS and made it to 1.0v closed.

My bike runs fine, idles well. BUT if I blip the throttle quickly ( just a few degrees back and forth), it will drop way below 1k and stall. (clutch in or neutral).

This is after I ran the idle and adjusted the throttle cable and TPS.

BTW, for 08 Akra map, should the EPC be turned on if I have the CPR intake?

What should I do to effectively raise the idle RPM a little. It's siting a bit low right now.

EDIT: If I don't fuck around with the throttle it will idle just fine. But I'm blipping it with clutch in or neutral it will stall. Otherwise, it rides normal, shifts smooth. I don't have any high idle issue.

BMacW650 screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 08:31 PM
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #2207
BMacW650

Something else I discovered today.

To test the hot engine closed TPS setting, you don't need to run the engine. Under test mode, double click the 'adjust throttle cable', DO NOT turn the ignition off. The little arm will be fully retracted at 0, which in term drop the throttle cam back against the idle bolt.(bolt painted yellow) When the engine is cold, there should be a gap between them. When it's warm, there should be no gap. and that's why you should adjust your cable when the little stepper motor arm is retracted.

This is actually exactly what your bike would do if it's warm. And the slight difference in throttle position is the reason the voltage changes.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #2208
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
Nope, wrong. You have several things backwards.

The TPS voltage setting is 0.6v, when warm, at idle. The throttle plate is at the normal, slightly open position. The stepper motor is holding the throttle open. As the engine breaks in, this hot idle position is at a different place. So, you have to re-adjust it. Doesn't change much after 5k miles or so.

The throttle cable adjustment option retracts the idle stepper motor to way below the normal idle position. You shut off the bike and it stays there, so you can adjust the cable. You adjust the cable loose enough at this point so it will not restrict the movement of the throttle plate. Don't adjust the TPS at this position.

That is not an 'idle bolt' it is a stop to prevent the plates from jamming in the bore, never touch that bolt.

The secondary throttle plates (not hooked to the throttle cable) are moved by another stepper motor and completely directed by the ECU. It needs feed back to the position, so it has another TPS. This you need to test when the engine is hot and not running. You move the plates by hand to closed (0.3v) and move to fully open (4.5v). The closed voltage is the most important.

Once you adjust all this, correctly, you should 'reset adaptation' to clear the previous values in the ECU and do the 15 min idle - from a cold engine.

Zuber screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 10:04 PM
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #2209
BMacW650

Quote:
Nope, wrong. You have several things backwards.

The TPS voltage setting is 0.6v, when warm, at idle. The throttle plate is at the normal, slightly open position. The stepper motor is holding the throttle open. As the engine breaks in, this hot idle position is at a different place. So, you have to re-adjust it. Doesn't change much after 5k miles or so.

The throttle cable adjustment option retracts the idle stepper motor to way below the normal idle position. You shut off the bike and it stays there, so you can adjust the cable. You adjust the cable loose enough at this point so it will not restrict the movement of the throttle plate. Don't adjust the TPS at this position.

That is not an 'idle bolt' it is a stop to prevent the plates from jamming in the bore, never touch that bolt.

The secondary throttle plates (not hooked to the throttle cable) are moved by another stepper motor and completely directed by the ECU. It needs feed back to the position, so it has another TPS. This you need to test when the engine is hot and not running. You move the plates by hand to closed (0.3v) and move to fully open (4.5v). The closed voltage is the most important.

Once you adjust all this, correctly, you should 'reset adaptation' to clear the previous values in the ECU and do the 15 min idle - from a cold engine.
Amazing! I read close to 150 page and your 'wiki'. You pretty much gave me all the information I've been craving for in 1 paragraph!

Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #2210
BMacW650

Quote:
Should the ignition be on? When I had it hooked to TuneECU after the 2nd TPS check cycle. If I move the 2nd TPS, the stepper motor would be clicking and trying to fight or compensate for the changes.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #2211
Zuber
Zoob

For the Secondary Throttle, you've got to have the ign on to get a voltage value. With the engine stopped, just over power the stepper motor with the mighty finger. Normal procedure per KTM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #2212
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
Zuber, thank you for clarifying the TPS adjustment procedure.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #2213
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Just to clarify...

...the reset adaptation does work with a 990? Some have said it doesnt. Last time I was hooked up it appeared grayed out but only realized afterwards it is supposed to be a double click (?)
So the RA clears out the old values created in the ecu by the sensors and the 15 min idle installs new ones? Wouldnt just the 15 min idle over-write the old values, or does the RA make it quicker for the ECU to arrive at a good current setting? Kind of like when you reset the rolling average fuel economy meter in a car? Or am I just full of it?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #2214
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 47
yes, RA clears out the old values created in the ecu by the sensors and the 15 min idle installs new ones.

DL:ing new map to ecu does RA too, but double clicking that button makes it much faster...

....you get better drink (fresh), if you don't mix it with yesterdays left overs....

--

and yes, as you can see in that picture earlier (post 2202), 2nd tps is for 2nd b-flies, it is upper than 1st TPS.
thanks for the specs for it, Zuber.

L
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #2215
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
So, I just ordered the cabel from CJDesigns. Also a CPR filter. I plan on installing it and adjusting the valves when all comes in.

But I'm about half literate when it comes to computer stuff and I'm as intamitated as can be about installing a map and more so about tweaking a map and installing. All this talk about TPS measurments and all, is completely Greek to me. And I may be making a bigger deal out of this than need be. But my 07 actually runs pretty good now, so one side of me says not to mess with anything (it has a PCIII).

So, is there anyone in Central or Norht AR or S Mo that might help me to get started?? And walk me thru the inital stages of re-mapping and tweaking. I have read most of this thread till most doesnt register on me, I have to read while doing to understand.

Anybody close to I-40 in AR??

Or is there a Step 1, take key out of bike, Step 2, remove seat... type of instruction on all this????
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #2216
BMacW650

Quote:
For the Secondary Throttle, you've got to have the ign on to get a voltage value. With the engine stopped, just over power the stepper motor with the mighty finger. Normal procedure per KTM.
So do I use a multimeter to measure this (where?)
According to the TuneECU document. The second row under the 'Sensor>Throttle' reading has % of the 2nd Throttle opening and 2nd TPS reading. (last two values on the second row under 'Throttle')

Is that a good place to get the reading? then just force the 2nd plate close and open for the reading?

IF that is indeed the correct place for the reading, it seems most screenshots I've seen have it around 1.0v at 0%.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2217
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Got a cable coming in from CJ.

2 questions:

1) I now have a PCIII on my bike, should I remove it and throw it away?

2) I also have Hoolagan football butterflies in the top of the bodies, should I remove these and reinstall the OEM butterflies, or who cares??
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #2218
Zuber
Zoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
So do I use a multimeter to measure this (where?)
According to the TuneECU document. The second row under the 'Sensor>Throttle' reading has % of the 2nd Throttle opening and 2nd TPS reading. (last two values on the second row under 'Throttle')

Is that a good place to get the reading? then just force the 2nd plate close and open for the reading?

IF that is indeed the correct place for the reading, it seems most screenshots I've seen have it around 1.0v at 0%.
I don't remember if TuneECU has this voltage readout for secondaries.

You can use a volt meter between the black (ground) and the Yellow (0-4.5v), the blue is the 5v source. If I have the blue/yellow backwards just switch it. This is the same as the primary TPS.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #2219
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
I don't remember if TuneECU has this voltage readout for secondaries.
It does not. Maybe in the future :)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #2220
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
...the reset adaptation does work with a 990? Some have said it doesnt. Last time I was hooked up it appeared grayed out but only realized afterwards it is supposed to be a double click (?)
So the RA clears out the old values created in the ecu by the sensors and the 15 min idle installs new ones? Wouldnt just the 15 min idle over-write the old values, or does the RA make it quicker for the ECU to arrive at a good current setting? Kind of like when you reset the rolling average fuel economy meter in a car? Or am I just full of it?
I can't do the Rest Adaption on my '07 (EU) 990. Neithewr single nor double clicking it works.